Acne

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hashbrown

Peckerwood
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
My boy is struggling with acne we have bought every over the counter we can find and he is currently using Proactive. Nothing seems to help much, over Christmas break we had him healing up but as soon as he had go back to school and wear a mask again it really started to blow up. We make sure he washes his face with the products at least 3 times a day but nothing seems to help much. I was hoping someone would have an idea how we can help him.

My boy is struggling with acne we have bought every over the counter we can find and he is currently using Proactive. Nothing seems to help much, over Christmas break we had him healing up but as soon as he had go back to school and wear a mask again it really started to blow up. We make sure he washes his face with the products at least 3 times a day but nothing seems to help much. I was hoping someone would have an idea how we can help him.
I can't give you any advice, but my 30 something year old daughter has struggled with acne, and now due to wearing masks, maskne! She too has used everything out there, including Proactive. She has seen a dermatologist for years, trying to find answers and solutions. She is now on Accutane. I have known other people who have gone the Accutane route but have no memory of their results. Your son may be too young for them to consider it. It has very serious side effects. When she told me she was going to go on it, I didn't tell her, but I am concerned for her. It requires a prescription and close supervision by a doctor. I also believe that diet can be a factor.

Accutane: What Are the Side Effects on the Body?

Acne is difficult. I didn't have a lot of it when I was his age, I just tended to have one or two really big ones all the time.

There are some spot creams which do help a little bit. If I remember correctly i used Clearisil. It won't stop acne from occuring but should clear it up faster.

As far as masks go, I'm sorry but I don't have an answer other than making sure masks are fresh and clean. There's a lot of oil and bacteria on a teen boy's skin, I suppose that changing out masks in the middle of the day might help...

You might get a doctor's note saying he can't wear a mask for medical reasons. None of their business what the medical reason is. Besides, there are plenty of good reasons not to wear a mask.

Last edited:
I never experienced it.
But,
It's been many years ago, one of my daughters had it, and took some antibiotics for it.

I'll ask my doctor friend , he will know.

Jim

Acne is difficult. I didn't have a lot of it when I was his age, I just tended to have one or two really big ones all the time.

There are some spot creams which do help a little bit. If I remember correctly i used Clearisil. It won't stop acne from occuring but should clear it up faster.

As far as masks go, I'm sorry but I don't have an answer other than making sure masks are fresh and clean. There's a lot of oil and bacteria on a teen boy's skin, I suppose that changing out masks in the middle of the day might help...

I never had any trouble wit it and neither did my wife, just a couple at a time like you said. We have used the Clearisil and my wife makes sure he has a fresh mask every morning but we don't send a fresh one with him. We will give that a try.

It is hormones and just one of the things many have to go through, I know there are drugs thaat help but some of those have side effects. My daughter has had exzema since a child and she still has battles with it, and its really bad at times. But most teens get over it bless his heart it is not easy to deal with though.

It is hormones and just one of the things many have to go through, I know there are drugs thaat help but some of those have side effects. My daughter has had exzema since a child and she still has battles with it, and its really bad at times. But most teens get over it bless his heart it is not easy to deal with though.
I feel sorry for him we have really been trying to help him.

Just thinking out loud.
The mask creates a warm moist environment for bacteria to grow.
Prefenz (also spelled Prefens) is a hand sanitiser that works all day long or through 10 hand washes. I use it on my hands but I'd trust it on my face, with cautions about the lips and eyes.
The moist environment is the likely culprit but allergy is also possible.

I really don't want to embrace my past...But @Meerkat has it totally nailed.
It comes from within. Hormones and the surging amount of them. This tip-toes around the 'forbidded-zone". Teens have acne. A Lot! Older adults, it's nearly non-existent.
This is what changes a boy into a man; and a girl into a woman.
Our daughter was having a hard time, looked like she had been facing multiple rounds of #6 shot.
The doctor finally said: "if we put her on birth-control pills, they will vanish" (even though she was years from being 'active'). Perfect complexion in a month. :thumbs:
This doesn't work for boys, but others things do.
To lower his sky-high hormones: Full contact exercises like wrestling, weightlifting, that can give him a chance to give it his 'all'.
The other activity that can greatly reduce his hormone level and acne, cannot be mentioned on this forum.

Last edited:
One of our daughters and a grandson were on Accutane and it's nasty stuff. They were glad to be off. It did help with acne, but bad overall for your body.
Granddaughter right now is struggling with the same problem with acne and the mask. Her twin brother never gets pimples, or hardly at all and it hasn't made a difference. She has tried everything out there. I always recommend an egg white face mask to shrink the pores (wash it off when you can stand it anymore) and dab rubbing alcohol on the pimples themself after washing your face. Granddaughter has had a little luck with turmeric soap. Proactive didn't really help. It's a bummer. The masks have really made her face worse. She is 15 and has to wear a mask every day to school.

I really don't want to embrace my past...But @Meerkat has it totally nailed.
It comes from within. Hormones and the surging amount of them. This tip-toes around the 'forbidded-zone". Teens have acne. A Lot! Older adults, it's nearly non-existent.
This is what changes a boy into a man; and a girl into a woman.
Our daughter was having a hard time, looked like she had been facing multiple rounds of #6 shot.
The doctor finally said: "if we put her on birth-control pills, they will vanish" (even though she was years from being 'active'). Perfect complexion in a month. :thumbs:
This doesn't work for boys, but others things do.
To lower his sky-high hormones: Full contact exercises like wrestling, weightlifting, that can give him a chance to give it his 'all'.
The other activity that can greatly reduce his hormone level and acne, cannot be mentioned on this forum.
Umm...speaking from experience, that "other activity" doesn't really work, either. 😉😂

Umm...speaking from experience, that "other activity" doesn't really work, either. 😉😂
It did for us. :thumbs: Just has to be repeated more than once per day.;)
There must be a better solution nowadays.

Last edited:
My DH struggled with it for years. I found an article in a magazine back in the late 80's that said, many times it is a zinc difficency. He started taking 50 mg. of zinc twice a day (with food as it can upset the stomach). Within a month, it was completely gone. He continued to take one zinc a day for years and has never had a reoccurance. Same thing has helped two friends of ours.

I know that is not always the problem and I am no doctor, but since it helped my DH, I thought I would tell you.

One of my daughters uses vinegar on her face at least twice a day, the kind with the "mother" in it. She's been using it for 2 years and while it has not completely cleared it up, it has improved it. She uses a cotton round to apply it and doesn't rinse it off. It didn't work for the other daughters.
I would make sure he's on vitamins and zinc too. My sons never struggled with it, neither did my husband or I.

So, it had got bad enough that I took him to a Dr. a couple of weeks ago I was afraid he was going to end up with a scarred up face and back. The Dr. wrote a script for 90 days of an antibiotic and a topical before bed. We are 2 weeks in and he looks and feels so much better.
I didn't see this thread initially HB, but I still struggle with it. After sooo many years, for me at least, it's sugars. If I cut out the sugars, it's all good. My folks both have sweet tooths 🤪 so I ate what they ate of course. Now I know better. Glad the prescripts are working but if it returns when the meds are gone, just something to keep in mind.

EDIT: I just saw you tried this. Maybe after the course of prescribed medicine a daily cleansing of Apple Cider Vinegar might help prevent future breakouts.
Consider using Apple Cider vinegar on cotton makeup removers at least once a day, in the evening before bed, and maybe twice a day. The apple cider vinegar being slightly acidic will help clean the pores and the acidity will kill the bacteria that is causing the infections in the pores that cause the pimples. You should notice an improvement in about a week and continued use will help keep the pores clean and prevent future infections/pimples.

It is simple, it is natural, and it is cheap. A quick search will help understand how it helps. One consideration, if someone has delicate skin you may need to dilute 50% with water to avoid irritation to the skin.

When it comes to skin things, I'd advise to go as natural as possible. Something that has helped me and a some people I know was clay. You can find natural clay powder, specifically for facial stuff. We would add a full egg, a little but of milk, lime or lemon juice and mix it all into a paste. Let it sit for 10-15 mins.

I don't know if he'll be willing to try a face mask but it might be worth a shot.

So, it had got bad enough that I took him to a Dr. a couple of weeks ago ...Dr. wrote a script..We are 2 weeks in and he looks and feels so much better.

Great to hear. :cool: I went thru that 'torture' as a teen (and I Did end up getting talked into 'Accutane' - what an awful experience That was.. Did "work", but, oof.. Miserable few months..) Now? Skin like I never even Thought about 'acne'.. 👍

Anyhoo, couple things that Helped Me tremendously, Fwiw:

- Tell him to Change his Pillowcase, Nightly! All that 'skin oil' (even after showering) when sleeping is No Friend to teenage-skin.. Even if you 'flop it over' / keep track (so'z the Face is on a "clean side" every night) - that'll help..

- Tried a Billion different 'soaps' / skin 'treatments', etc, and - All - seemed to Help - then Worsen, the plague.. Too dry, too creamy (and 'comedogenic') etc - Until - I found 'Olive Oil soap' -

..This Brand, specifically (and, Not 'shilling' nor 'endorsing' this Seller, per-se, just using the first search-result as a Ref..) Kiss My Face, Olive Oil Soap, Fragrance Free, 8 oz (230 g) ..Man, it's the Best - use it to this Day, and for all-over-Body, not just Face (actually use Very little 'on Face' - All soaps tend to Dry too much, on the face (at least for Me / My skin-type..)

- Also found that (if there Was a 'breakout') Tea Tree oil Shampoo, actually, was great as a 'body wash' (again, used Super-sparingly on the Face..) and helped prevent any 'Backne'... ;)

- Then, once clean / bit of Isopropyl Alcohol on any 'actives' / cleaning out 'blackheads', etc, etc - Moisturize! SO important, and the Best I've personally found (Totally 'Non-comedogenic', and again - Not 'shilling' - just a Ref :) is 'FOTE' Aloe Vera Gel - Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera, 100% Gel

...The Best / super-soothing (especially post-Shave) totally not 'greasy' at All, and works Great as a 'hair gel', also.. :cool: But MUST be That Brand / the Clear stuff! None of the 'green tinted' / "sunburn gels", you might find, OTC..

Fwiw, Hope these may help..
jd

Latest posts

Back