Acorns

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I processed them too just to do it. I read some folks put them the toilet tank in a cloth bag for a few weeks instead of leaving them in in a bag in a stream to leech out the tannins.
I did the boiling and water changing process too..
I made a meal out of it after and dried it. Added it to yogurt.
It's not bad really...
There is a reason the native folks liked n used it.

I processed them too just to do it. I read some folks put them the toilet tank in a cloth bag for a few weeks instead of leaving them in in a bag in a stream to leech out the tannins.
I did the boiling and water changing process too..
I made a meal out of it after and dried it. Added it to yogurt.
It's not bad really...
There is a reason the native folks liked n used it.
What a great idea, to put it in the toilet tank.

Years ago I read that processing acorns to be edible was a lot of work.. I would be interested in the taste, but not enough to process myself..

I'm curious...
Facts, details, experience ??

Different species of oak trees have different levels of tannic acid in their acorns, the substance leaching is supposed to remove. Some species of acorns are easier to process than others, there's a lot less worked involved.

From what i've read native am. tribes used specific acorns. Not just any acorns they found. This could be why... a chart i posted a couple years ago. It's by species of oak, location, usefulness, edibility ranking, medicinal ranking etc.

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/oak-tree-information.14519/

Acorns in east TN at our place are plentiful...really plentiful this year. Most we have seen in the 18 years we have owned the place.

There is a caveat about eating ANY tree nuts:
If you don't remove as much tannic acid as possible, the results will be HIGHLY UNPLEASANT, In the form of. (NO way to be delicate here!) Blisters and a distended rectum. I had a friend who ate half a pound of Pecans and fed some to his dog too, neither could crap right for a month!

Latest posts

Back