Admit to "your INSANITY"...we will not Laugh (maybe little giggle).

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can call me a hoarder!

It is "not" hoarding if you are a homesteader. Just imagine a "fly-in" homestead or super remote "fly-in hunting and fishing lodge. People who can just bee-bop to the nearest store, just don't understand. And as I have learned you simply can't explain to to them.

A man who starved as a child understands hording food, those who have rarely missed a meal have not foundation from which to even attempt to imagine the fear and sorrow of starvation.

I don't refer to it has "hoarding", I go with "lifetime supply". ;) I'm well stocked in many categories.

Last month, my furnace & A/C quit on me so ordered a new one ($9500). Well, I had some extra "stuff" in my shop and buildings so I made a list of things I'm selling and sent it out to about 5 friends. Within 2 weeks, I sold over $10,000 of items. Paid for the furnace with a thick stack of small bills. :) Oh, and hear I am a month later and don't miss anything I sold. It didn't seem to even put a dent in my building's contents.

Too many times in my life I have gone into my store house ane brought forth treasures both old and new that have saved me 2 hour trips to Lowes for thing I needed or friends needed to make repairs or improvements. Those events served as lessons that keep a well organized assortment of parts ans fasteners is a good idea.

Aside
Some years ago I was talking to a fellow prepper about the laboratory glassware I aquired. As a challenge he asked me

"But do you have an erlemeyer flask with a side vent hmmmmm?"

I replied

"What size?" then returned from my shop withe 2 sizes minutes latter.

Resuming

Last year during the start or the pandemic all stores were closed and The Princess was able to send the kids home with a bale of TP, a 5 gallon bucket of spaghetti and a flat or sauce.

Nit gorders just prepared.

Ben

I save containers....."WOW" but do I save containers...

..How about 'Dozens of Boxes - Full of Containers'..
Boxes-Fullof-Containers.jpg

..Can I get 'In the Club' on that? :)

Indeed, for those stuck in the normalcy-bias of 'Just go Buy some more!', as you say, those types will Never Understand such forward-thinking (imo..) and mis-label it as 'hoarding'.. Granted, there's a 'line to walk' - ie: Not such a good idea, Imo, to save / try and re-use 'Only-Once-wiped' TP, just because, well... 'There's Still a clean corner left'.. 😁 Yeah, one Can take it 'too Far off the dial', but...

..Short of That, there's really No Limit to the value in 'Purpose-Recycling' - as it's more of a Mindset, than anything else... ie: 'spent' Cinnamon-jar? Nope, not in This house..

TPk-Shaker-3.jpg
:cool:

(..Helps avoid those 'Box of Piks inexplicably emptying-Itself all over the Kitchen floor' episodes.. Which is Good for maintaining Low blood-pressure... :)

..'Spent' Cargo pants? Nope, not Yet...

Pockets-for-Tents.jpg

..I mean, First of all - Buttons (of Course! :) and there's Still 'plenty of life / purpose left' in those Pockets as 'Canvas Wall-tent Organizers' (+ some iron-on fabric-glue).. Not to mention:

EDC-IFAK.jpg

..Little 'Cargo Pocket IFAK-roll'.. ya know - to put in yer Cargo pocket. :) (..Also works great for EDCing a 'CAT-5' / other-such TQ, btw.. :cool:

So, in summary: It's more about the Mindset. We all know / Love the timeless "Fortune Favors the Prepared", but.. I'd like to also propose:

"The Future Belongs to The Adaptable; Adaptation Belongs to The Prepared" :cool:

jd

No, just NO. I don't hoard clutter, I throw old socks out when they have a hole in them, I don't save a gazzillion containers I will never use and I don't want broken crap that nobody will ever fix around. Husband is the one that likes to hang on to the 1990s computer he MIGHT have some use for some day and the old toaster he MIGHT fix one day. Me, no way. If it sits there unused for more than a half a year, it needs to go. I don't collect anything either. I only own shoes I actually wear all the time and I only buy stuff when I need it.
My craziness goes in a total different direction

No, just NO. I don't hoard clutter, I throw old socks out when they have a hole in them, I don't save a gazzillion containers I will never use and I don't want broken crap that nobody will ever fix around. Husband is the one that likes to hang on to the 1990s computer he MIGHT have some use for some day and the old toaster he MIGHT fix one day. Me, no way. If it sits there unused for more than a half a year, it needs to go. I don't collect anything either. I only own shoes I actually wear all the time and I only buy stuff when I need it.
My craziness goes in a total different direction
Oh, do tell!
I only collect stuff you cannot buy anymore.
Like .41caliber rimfire ammo, mercury, extinct semi-conductors, high-power laser sights, etc.

I have an Antique horse drawn hay mower (single blade with comb type) & horse drawn hay rake. Five gallon buckets & 30 gallon drums, black nursery
pots & a Conex container. So when you include the 1000 pill bottles, I a containahlic.

When I was a kid the whole community dumped trash or anything else they didn’t want in the “Cave”. It wasn’t really a cave. it was a gulley 100ft across and 80ft deep at the edge of a farmers field. He encouraged it so his field would stop eroding. People threw out old furniture, bicycles, lawnmowers, household garbage… anything and everything went in the cave.

My mom would never let my dad and I take a pickup load to the cave because we’d usually come back with more stuff than we took! It became her and my sisters job.

It was like a never ending yard sale where everything was free!

Last edited:
Well some might say that I have ocd....(obsessive coonhound disorder) I have several hounds blueticks plotts and even a few curs in the mix I utilize them all while hunting and just good ol pets wouldn’t trade them for anything and yes my monthly feed bill is very high... also I can relate to the flashlights but I think that falls back on coon hunting. Can’t have to many lights or spares!!
42CDC3B8-9FB1-4608-AA36-8429DF66DBE7.jpeg

Last edited:
Husband is the one that likes to hang on to the 1990s computer he MIGHT have some use for some day

Sonya: Your husband must be related to my wife. I have been hearing that for 40+ years " I might need that some day, and as soon as I throw it out I will have to buy a new one." End result I have a basement that Jimmy Hoffa could be buried in and no one would find him, and a three car garage that will only fit one car.

It took me years to toss out one of my first computers. Not because I thought I might use it someday but because I paid $3500 for it.
I built it from parts and they were expensive at the time.
RAM was in 1MB strips and I put in all it would take which was 8 meg. They cost $55 each, $440 worth.
There's a fine line between hoarding, storing for possible future use, and just normal collections of stuff. My wife isn't a hoarder she is a collector. Santas and now turtle stuff. It's everywhere.

It took me years to toss out one of my first computers. Not because I thought I might use it someday but because I paid $3500 for it.
I built it from parts and they were expensive at the time.
RAM was in 1MB strips and I put in all it would take which was 8 meg. They cost $55 each, $440 worth.
There's a fine line between hoarding, storing for possible future use, and just normal collections of stuff. My wife isn't a hoarder she is a collector. Santas and now turtle stuff. It's everywhere.
I still have my first one, a Sinclair ZX81. I'm pretty sure it has the brains of a "Furby", but it brings back a lot of memories :)

> sigh <

This blessed thread! I have truly found my tribe...

I found myself reading post after post and nodding my head, yes, YES!

I can't pass up fabric and thread...... also books, including cookbooks, medical books and lots of other stuff. You can't have enough seeds, and of course ammo- NEVER enough ammo! Unfortunately, I don't live on a big homestead with barns and such, but I still find places to keep stuff! (If you ever come to my house, don't look under the furniture or in the unused guest bathtub! 😁 )

Latest posts

Back