Advice About Photobucket,Please.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I have lots of pics in there but can't copy or get them unless I join and pay for membership. It was free when I joined several years ago.
Anyone here have the same problem? Were you able to copy pic after you paid the fee, about $6 ?

I don't mind paying long as it is not contract every month thing. And they don't go up without permission or keep pics for ransom again.

I never used photobucket, but do know that it was a popular thing for quite a while. I now look at things elsewhere on the internet and see that many people are not paying to keep photobucket.

This is my suggestion: Pay for photobucket and then download all of your photos out of there onto an external hard drive. They come in varying sizes and can hold many photos, depending on the size of the hard drive. When you are done downloading all of them, cancel your subscription or stop paying.

I never used photobucket, but do know that it was a popular thing for quite a while. I now look at things elsewhere on the internet and see that many people are not paying to keep photobucket.

This is my suggestion: Pay for photobucket and then download all of your photos out of there onto an external hard drive. They come in varying sizes and can hold many photos, depending on the size of the hard drive. When you are done downloading all of them, cancel your subscription or stop paying.

Thanks Weedy. I am just leary about giving them credit card and I got off of Paypal. But if I want my pic's guess I have no choice. I just tried to copy a pic from there an it wouldn't let me. :Thankyou:

Thanks Weedy. I am just leary about giving them credit card and I got off of Paypal. But if I want my pic's guess I have no choice. I just tried to copy a pic from there an it wouldn't let me. :Thankyou:

Use a prepaid card. That way they can't charge more than what's there.

I heard one guy was allowed to take his pictures back without paying a thing by just calling up and complaining that the pictures were his property and they had, in effect, stolen them.
He was probably more diplomatic than I would be but he did get his pictures back without having to pay for them.

You are allowed to get to your pictures. They just want to charge for linking to other sites. They screwed thousands of people and forums with their sneaky attempt at theft and then backed off when the backlash started. I will never trust them and thank goodness the few images I have hosted outside my website are elsewhere. They can go and rot. It’s not the cost but the principle.

Some or rather most of the pictures we have there don't have duplicates. Family trips , gardening ,etc,.

I tried today to copy one to put up here but it didn't work. A year or so ago they told me I had to pay over $400.00 to get my pics back. Now they want yearly membership for about $5 to $10.
I copied one a few weeks ago but today it ask me to join and wouldn't let me copy.

I have lots of pics in there but can't copy or get them unless I join and pay for membership. It was free when I joined several years ago.
Anyone here have the same problem? Were you able to copy pic after you paid the fee, about $6 ?
How to recover your Photobucket pictures if you no longer have access to your account

You are allowed to get to your pictures. They just want to charge for linking to other sites. They screwed thousands of people and forums with their sneaky attempt at theft and then backed off when the backlash started. I will never trust them and thank goodness the few images I have hosted outside my website are elsewhere. They can go and rot. It’s not the cost but the principle.
Here is how to see those "dead images"

Here is how to see those "dead images"

That’s fine but what happens when they play the game again? I try to keep hosting of pictures on whatever forum im in. In my forums when a photo link is posted a local copy is stored so even if they play the game, and they will, images ar safe.

@Meerkat From what I can tell you’re trying to link the picture here. Download your image from pb and upload here as an attachment and it should work.

I wrote them, how furious I was, all the hard work on my blogs, and it was all gone, but...….they came back with a great offer, restored all the blogs, and I felt the price was low enough that I could pay it....seems the service is better now, easy to copy and can use it for other sites....they were fair finally.....

Checked the price....was seventy dollars for a year

I am sorry to go off track here, but this is relative to this topic. As my grandmother would have said, "Don't put all of your eggs in one basket."

Consider several options and other alternatives for saving images. I am no expert for sure, but there is a mantra: backup, backup, backup. I do like to have images available on my computer to be able to add to documents, genealogy programs, and more, but I save them several places.

I have many images that are old family photos, documents and historical information that I have collected over several decades in my pursuit of family history, which was basically found one piece at a time, driving 1000's of miles, and 1000's of hours searching and researching. No one had done it before me, but there are many who have copied it since. :great:

Some of what I have is virtually irreplaceable if it were to go missing. There were family photos that are missing, probably destroyed by second wives, also known as wicked step-mothers. (One of my g grandfathers was a millionaire 100 years ago, in a small town, but lost his first wife at age 36, leaving 4 young children behind. The second wife, 4 years later, had all of the children by the first wife fleeing the household, due to her antics. There are a few wonderful photos from that family, but many were probably destroyed by her wicked self) Knowing how much work I have into gathering all of this, I have also done a few things to put it in various places so that I can have it, if one source fails.

I believe that anything that is saved anywhere--internet, computer, storage devices, etc.--can disappear. None of this is infallible. I suggest that if you value it, have multiple sources for saving it. Backp, backup, backup.

Some alternative places to store, and I know there are others that I have not mentioned. Photos take up lots of space, so save selectively.

1. Dropbox--an online storage. You get x amount free when you sign up, but it won't store 1000's of photos. You can pay for more storage, maybe $79.99 a year. I haven't and won't do that, but others have. You can earn more storage by inviting others to join. I have acquired lots more storage by inviting many other people. I have many of my family history documents and information here as one source of storage.

2. External hard drive--There are a few varieties available with a variety of sizes available, all for a fee.

3. Flash drives--I have had one fail, and was grateful that I had backups in other places, but they do work for storing much information in a small place. If you are in the right place at the right time, you can get them for free at trade shows, etc. They are small and lightweight, so are an easy way to keep photos and documents when moving from one computer or location to another.

4. Hard copies--I try to keep hard copies of photos especially, but when I find historical documents, such as my grandfather's military records, I print them out and keep them in plastic pages in notebooks by family groups. When I travel, I take my notebooks and interested family members can page through and see all of what I have collected. The danger of notebooks is that people may "want" this photo or that photo. (See 5 below) I have had photos lifted out of my notebooks, but have tried to be able to make photos replaceable if this happens.

5. I have uploaded photo images to a few places where photos can be purchased. The closest place for me to have photos processed is a Walgreens pharmacy. You need an account, and like photobucket, could go away any day, but has worked for me for now. (I know there are several places online where photos can be uploaded and saved) You can invite others to access different albums for their own use. When my grandmother died, I got a box of negatives of my mother's childhood and other family, while my cousin got the photos that I worked on labeling and organizing with my grandmother. I scanned all of those negatives and let people know they could access them if they wanted to.

I know a large extended family that has an account and everyone belongs. Photos from events, such as weddings, baptisms, family reunions, are all saved there, and anyone who wants to order select photos is able to do so.

6. Blogs--there are a few blogs that are free. You can make them public or private and can save photos there. I have a few private blogs with family information that family can be added to. I have much information there.

7. Closed facebook groups--I have started a few family groups, have invited family members that belong to the group, and have shared many photos and information there. Photos from events and happenings can be saved together in albums, people tagged, and anyone can access them.

One more thing about saving photos: Label and date your photos. "Mom and Dad" is not enough. "John and Mary Smith, marriage photo, April 1852, Furth im Wald, Bavaria, Germany" is a much better label. Many photos are destroyed or disposed of because once a certain person dies, no one knows who the people in the photos are. I saw a photo album in Nebraska of family members that no one knows who they are, just descendants of my gg uncle Joe. There are two paintings of family members, from the 1800s, painted in Europe, but unlabeled. We know who one person is, but the other person? No one knows, but they are beautiful and well done.

I am sorry to go off track here, but this is relative to this topic. As my grandmother would have said, "Don't put all of your eggs in one basket."

Consider several options and other alternatives for saving images. I am no expert for sure, but there is a mantra: backup, backup, backup. I do like to have images available on my computer to be able to add to documents, genealogy programs, and more, but I save them several places.

I have many images that are old family photos, documents and historical information that I have collected over several decades in my pursuit of family history, which was basically found one piece at a time, driving 1000's of miles, and 1000's of hours searching and researching. No one had done it before me, but there are many who have copied it since. :great:

Some of what I have is virtually irreplaceable if it were to go missing. There were family photos that are missing, probably destroyed by second wives, also known as wicked step-mothers. (One of my g grandfathers was a millionaire 100 years ago, in a small town, but lost his first wife at age 36, leaving 4 young children behind. The second wife, 4 years later, had all of the children by the first wife fleeing the household, due to her antics. There are a few wonderful photos from that family, but many were probably destroyed by her wicked self) Knowing how much work I have into gathering all of this, I have also done a few things to put it in various places so that I can have it, if one source fails.

I believe that anything that is saved anywhere--internet, computer, storage devices, etc.--can disappear. None of this is infallible. I suggest that if you value it, have multiple sources for saving it. Backp, backup, backup.

Some alternative places to store, and I know there are others that I have not mentioned. Photos take up lots of space, so save selectively.

1. Dropbox--an online storage. You get x amount free when you sign up, but it won't store 1000's of photos. You can pay for more storage, maybe $79.99 a year. I haven't and won't do that, but others have. You can earn more storage by inviting others to join. I have acquired lots more storage by inviting many other people. I have many of my family history documents and information here as one source of storage.

2. External hard drive--There are a few varieties available with a variety of sizes available, all for a fee.

3. Flash drives--I have had one fail, and was grateful that I had backups in other places, but they do work for storing much information in a small place. If you are in the right place at the right time, you can get them for free at trade shows, etc. They are small and lightweight, so are an easy way to keep photos and documents when moving from one computer or location to another.

4. Hard copies--I try to keep hard copies of photos especially, but when I find historical documents, such as my grandfather's military records, I print them out and keep them in plastic pages in notebooks by family groups. When I travel, I take my notebooks and interested family members can page through and see all of what I have collected. The danger of notebooks is that people may "want" this photo or that photo. (See 5 below) I have had photos lifted out of my notebooks, but have tried to be able to make photos replaceable if this happens.

5. I have uploaded photo images to a few places where photos can be purchased. The closest place for me to have photos processed is a Walgreens pharmacy. You need an account, and like photobucket, could go away any day, but has worked for me for now. (I know there are several places online where photos can be uploaded and saved) You can invite others to access different albums for their own use. When my grandmother died, I got a box of negatives of my mother's childhood and other family, while my cousin got the photos that I worked on labeling and organizing with my grandmother. I scanned all of those negatives and let people know they could access them if they wanted to.

I know a large extended family that has an account and everyone belongs. Photos from events, such as weddings, baptisms, family reunions, are all saved there, and anyone who wants to order select photos is able to do so.

6. Blogs--there are a few blogs that are free. You can make them public or private and can save photos there. I have a few private blogs with family information that family can be added to. I have much information there.

7. Closed facebook groups--I have started a few family groups, have invited family members that belong to the group, and have shared many photos and information there. Photos from events and happenings can be saved together in albums, people tagged, and anyone can access them.

One more thing about saving photos: Label and date your photos. "Mom and Dad" is not enough. "John and Mary Smith, marriage photo, April 1852, Furth im Wald, Bavaria, Germany" is a much better label. Many photos are destroyed or disposed of because once a certain person dies, no one knows who the people in the photos are. I saw a photo album in Nebraska of family members that no one knows who they are, just descendants of my gg uncle Joe. There are two paintings of family members, from the 1800s, painted in Europe, but unlabeled. We know who one person is, but the other person? No one knows, but they are beautiful and well done.

Weedy this is very good advice and too bad some of us don't realize till it is too late not to trust others to preserve our Hiarlooms.:thumbs:

20160304_133247_resized.jpg
20160304_135401_001_resized.jpg
20160304_135949_resized.jpg
20160304_150346_resized.jpg
For those who are still using these no cost hosting sites, just remember, nothing is free. Photobucket planned all along to start charging customers once you were sucked in. This is what these other photo hosting sites will plan on doing very soon. I have a 128 gig Jet Drive, which is a flush mount type of USB connection, that stores all my photos and important paperwork on the side of my laptop, so even if my laptop smokes, I can pull the jet drive, insert it into another computer, and continue.

I too have heirloom pics that I've transferred from actual prints to digital images, and have provided copies to all my relatives, so we never lose some of these important pictures.

Our house burned down in 1955 with all kinds of antiques and pictures in it. My aunt's and uncle's had pictures but cousins got all those so if my kids want them they can get them from them. I got a few.

That’s fine but what happens when they play the game again? I try to keep hosting of pictures on whatever forum im in. In my forums when a photo link is posted a local copy is stored so even if they play the game, and they will, images ar safe.

@Meerkat From what I can tell you’re trying to link the picture here. Download your image from pb and upload here as an attachment and it should work.
It wasn't a "forever fix" but a temp one. Don't store crap online unless you back up. That fix was so OTHERS could see pics that were uploaded but no longer viewable on forums that were hosted on photobucket.
I use postimages.org for forum photos, as well as backups on comp, dvd and flashdrive for those I want to save.

I wrote them, how furious I was, all the hard work on my blogs, and it was all gone, but...….they came back with a great offer, restored all the blogs, and I felt the price was low enough that I could pay it....seems the service is better now, easy to copy and can use it for other sites....they were fair finally.....

Checked the price....was seventy dollars for a year

Not to pick but this is the same thinking that allows them to do what they did. Like the electric and gas company around here... They get a 30% prices increase and later when they lower it 10 percent touting how they have lowered costs. People I’m many cases don’t seem to realize the price is still 20% higher overall. Essentially you paid the ransom. So the next time the extortion rate will likely be higher. I have a hard time understanding why, if you have blogs, that you wouldn’t host your site Essential items there. I’m not criticizing but I will in no part finance their shady practices.

It wasn't a "forever fix" but a temp one. Don't store crap online unless you back up. That fix was so OTHERS could see pics that were uploaded but no longer viewable on forums that were hosted on photobucket.
I use postimages.org for forum photos, as well as backups on comp, dvd and flashdrive for those I want to save.

I understand that TBob. It’s funny the browser companies got together to find a fix.

On the lighter side, the lead man at pb was let go shortly after the mess that was created. Funny how it never went back the way it was though.

If a site is interested in allowing their users to post pictures they will allow the pictures to be uploaded. I keep all my pictures on my computers (multiple machines and multiple copies). I have them backed up on external hard drives and I have them stored on DVDs. I have some hard copies but I never consider them safe. They are scanned and duplicated. I store NOTHING on line, in the cloud, or anyplace that someone else controls. Japan has all software available in the cloud and you pay to access and use it. It is a free market system that has become the norm. I prefer more access and privacy. If a site won't allow direct upload then I don't post pictures, easy.

If a site is interested in allowing their users to post pictures they will allow the pictures to be uploaded. I keep all my pictures on my computers (multiple machines and multiple copies). I have them backed up on external hard drives and I have them stored on DVDs. I have some hard copies but I never consider them safe. They are scanned and duplicated. I store NOTHING on line, in the cloud, or anyplace that someone else controls. Japan has all software available in the cloud and you pay to access and use it. It is a free market system that has become the norm. I prefer more access and privacy. If a site won't allow direct upload then I don't post pictures, easy.
I have stored things onto computers that then eventually were replaced by a new one. I find that it is not always easy to retrieve stuff you really wanted to save.

Back