Advice to your young self ( about high school grad age)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Advice to your young self ( about high school grad age)
Stay away from redheads.
Yes, they are fun in the sack, but you never see the warning sign on their back:

61mQUu28QDL.__AC_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

In retrospect, if I had really thought about it, at a much younger age years before h.s. graduation, I would have asked to go live with other relatives, preferably my other grandmother after her husband, my grandfather, died. But that would have left the rest of the family left behind to have to get up and do housework, laundry, cooking, dishes, yard work, and with no money of mine from babysitting to steal.

Weedy I just listened to that song and it is sure not about you, so hope you didn't take it that way. That is not my opinion of you nor has it ever been. I just thought of the lemon tree very preety and sweet.Forgot if I ever knew the rest of the song.

When you take the girl you're in love with to a social event and after the event she tells you to wait for her in a empty room. After waiting a hour for her return you find the building empty and your car the only one in the parking lot, she's trying to tell you something.

When you propose marriage to the same girl and she turns her back to you to answer, "ya I guess so", she's trying to tell you something.

When you are engaged, wedding invitations are mailed and she starts talking about calling off the wedding, it isn't because she's getting cold feet.

Advice to myself; Don't marry at 18 years of age?

Last edited:
I think I would want to give the advice at a much younger age say 13. Study hard and get a good education, it will impact everything else for the rest of your life.

Don't play too much, it will cost you in the long run.

Always be honest and ethical, a good reputation is never a bad thing...

Save more, learn more skills,plant a load more trees. Buy land when it was cheap.
Oh man. I could've had a secluded 900 sq ft ranch, built into a hillside, with 4 acres and a walk out basement back in 1998. It sold for $42k. Of course young me didn't have the down payment saved up because I was more interested in beer and babes...

Oh man. I could've had a secluded 900 sq ft ranch, built into a hillside, with 4 acres and a walk out basement back in 1998. It sold for $42k. Of course young me didn't have the down payment saved up because I was more interested in beer and babes...

Does that sound familiar? I had a good friend who had an opportunity to get in on the IPO for McDonalds. Yeah, the hamburger guys. It would have cost about $500.00. It really didn't matter if it was $5 million. He didn't have 5 cents. $500 might as well have been $5 million. And I well know he could not have afforded losing $500 at the time. Every penny was spent trying to get a company off the ground. Losing that would have been catastrophic.

Does that sound familiar? I had a good friend who had an opportunity to get in on the IPO for McDonalds. Yeah, the hamburger guys. It would have cost about $500.00. It really didn't matter if it was $5 million. He didn't have 5 cents. $500 might as well have been $5 million. And I well know he could not have afforded losing $500 at the time. Every penny was spent trying to get a company off the ground. Losing that would have been catastrophic.
@Morgan101 if I had the 10k for a down payment in 1999, I would now have a paid off acreage worth around 100k. Of course, who knows how life would've turned out - I could've lost it in the 2008 recession - but, oh what could've been, right?

@Morgan101 if I had the 10k for a down payment in 1999, I would now have a paid off acreage worth around 100k. Of course, who knows how life would've turned out - I could've lost it in the 2008 recession - but, oh what could've been, right?

I fell right in line with the beer and babes part. To me the movie Animal House was like the old TV show Dragnet; the names were changed to protect the innocent. I knew all of those people, and I was half of them. Some day when we all get called to a higher court, St. Peter is going to look in his ledger, and tell us how much money we spent on those things.

Another one of my favorite sayings: " I spent half my life drinking cheap booze and chasing loose women.... and I wasted the other half."

Not sure but i went into business at 22 yo. Wish i had not, the sacrifices were too great and now its too late to change.
I had been working for my parents all the way through high school, passed up a scholarship to manage a shift for them; 6 years later they divorced, the business went under and I was working minimum wage. 9 years after that I was working my way through college with a family... still paying for those choices....

it is what it is yall
choosing the path of least resistance
choosing the path that makes ya happy
things have to work out the way they do for other things to happen
some of us just too darn hard-headed
some of us too proud
some of us had to learn the hard way
some had great mentors
some had angels buffering their every move
and in some cases its genetic!

@Patchouli you're so right. But it's a lot easier to recover at 25 than at 45 or 65. I'm 48 and my industry is in turmoil right now. I'm worried about my job. But I've also lived long enough to know that job loss, financial problems, and youthful mistakes aren't fatal. I'll do what it takes to get by no matter what, and I think most of us here have a similar attitude...

With each bad decision you gained wisdom. If not for your bad choices you would be a different person today.
I made some mistakes like everyone does but I wouldn't change a thing. I like me and I am better for it all.

With each bad decision you gained wisdom. If not for your bad choices you would be a different person today.
I made some mistakes like everyone does but I wouldn't change a thing. I like me and I am better for it all.
So true.

While I could ascribe my biggest mistake to marrying my 1st wife and the associated pains and turmoil, but without that relationship I may not have my son and g-daughters which are a great blessings.

I don't think I would change a thing.

Ben

My normal advice to myself would be--Join the School photography club and take up cross country running.

My bigger advice--You did a great job surviving your childhood! Now take all the criticisms and insults the family told you and forget them! None of them were true!

I think I would want to give the advice at a much younger age say 13. Study hard and get a good education, it will impact everything else for the rest of your life....

My dad gave me that advice and I ignored it just as I would if I went back in time to tell me the same thing when I was 13.

What I did right, imho: Was offered a full scholarship to college, along with a friend of mine, with a chance to go to Italy and study Montessori education. I stayed the coarse, she could barely think of getting an education. She was tortured every day to be in college. I was ecstatic to be there. It was such a better life than the home front. While I was working on the first leg of it, an associates degree, or AA, she was focused on her MRS. She was always looking for young men to write letters to and to establish relationships with. She would stay up late at night watching late night television, writing her letters, while I had to go to bed at 10, because I was on the go from 6 in the morning and have always needed a good night's sleep. She often wanted to skip her 8 o'clock class, and always wanted me to join her in that. NOPE! She also worked on campus, like I did, but would get paid one day, and be flat broke the next. Not me. I always had money saved, and she knew it and would always try to separate me from some of my money. When we finished our AA degrees, I had already applied for and had been accepted into the college that had Montessori education with a BA. She did not want to pursue any more college, even if it would not have cost her one penny. One of the men she pursued ended up marrying her. He was gay, but needed to have a wife and family, or so he thought, or maybe she made it easy for him to put on that front. Early on she knew he was gay, but they stayed in the marriage until he was caught with a lover. She could no longer deny his inclinations, and they divorced.

I had a serious boyfriend while working on my AA, and he wanted to marry. I had my focus on a BA, and by the time I graduated from college, we had lived far enough away from each other for so long, and it was going to stay that way due to job opportunities, the relationship was hardly sustainable. You can only do long distance for so long. Friend was so jealous of that relationship, as was my narcissistic sister. I should have married him, a loyal and honest person, not the one whom I did, a cheater and a liar.

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life
Never make a pretty woman your wife
So for my personal point of view
Get an ugly girl to marry you

A pretty woman makes her husband look small
And very often causes his downfall
As soon as he married her and then she starts
To do the things that will break his heart

But if you make an ugly woman your wife
A-you'll be happy for the rest of your life
An ug-a-ly woman cooks meals on time
And she'll always give you peace of mind

Don't let your friends say you have no taste
Go ahead and marry anyway
Though her face is ugly, her eyes don't match
Take it from me, she's a better catch

On a serious note: The advise I wish I have received at high school graduation. Read "Burning Daylight" by: Jack London.

Read it once a year for the next ten years, then once every other year till death. If you are ever confused about your priorities in your life, immediately reread "Burning Daylight" by: Jack London.

After you have read it several times, you only need reread the last two chapters to get your head straight.

On a serious note: The advise I wish I have received at high school graduation. Read "Burning Daylight" by: Jack London.

Read it once a year for the next ten years, then once every other year till death. If you are ever confused about your priorities in your life, immediately reread "Burning Daylight" by: Jack London.

After you have read it several times, you only need reread the last two chapters to get your head straight.

Just grabbed this book for my Kindle. It is free right now for the Kindle.

Just grabbed this book for my Kindle. It is free right now for the Kindle.

That book changed my priorities in life. I have a lot of books, but if I was condemned to solitary confinement for life.......if they said I could only take one book. I think that is likely the book I would choose.

Last edited:

A pretty woman makes her husband look small
And very often causes his downfall
As soon as he married her and then she starts
To do the things that will break his heart

But if you make an ugly woman your wife
A-you'll be happy for the rest of your life
An ug-a-ly woman cooks meals on time
And she'll always give you peace of mind

Don't let your friends say you have no taste
Go ahead and marry anyway
Though her face is ugly, her eyes don't match
Take it from me, she's a better catch

My life is more like Merle Haggard singing, "An Ugly Girl Told Me No"...😱

Another quote from Mark Twain: "When I was 18 my father was the dumbest person I had ever known. By the time I had turned 22 it was amazing how much her had learned in those four years."

For many of us even if we had been given the advice at that High School age would we have taken it? I will only speak for myself, but I wasn't very good at listening to adults and taking their advice at that time.

Latest posts

Back