Advice to your young self ( about high school grad age)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swing

Porch Lover
Staff member
Admin
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
What would you tell yourself as you graduate from high school?

Take the 1/2 scholarship and get a job for the other half and living expenses.

(I had won a 1/2 scholarship to Fashion Institute of America in Atlanta (1970), and my folks would not pay for the other half. I didn't know of student loans, and they would not help me in any way to go live elsewhere. I was very much a reclusive type in my room, don't rock the boat gal. I cannot believe the difference in me now, or that I was that girl.)

What would you tell yourself?

For starters I'd go back to Freshman year.
Take higher level math and science all the way thru HS.
Save my money
Work harder at all I do.
Ask various girls out, don't settle for just one or two in early years.

Senior year, don't work a full time job so I could enjoy my last year some
Don't start drinking and drugging
Don't Get serious with a girl I met at work (HUGE MISTAKE) And DON"T MARRY HER a year later
Find a school to learn a trade, or college when I graduated. Don't wait 6 years to do that.

Take a good hard look at her mom, cause in 20 years that is who you will be waking up with.

Also she may be crazy hot now but looks fade and the crazy stays.🤣
Don't be so sure of that, mister.

For starters I'd go back to Freshman year. ME TOO
Take higher level math and science all the way thru HS. MOSTLY ME TOO
Save my money WHAT MONEY?
Work harder at all I do. MOSTLY
Ask various girls out, don't settle for just one or two in early years. Hang with people my own age, don't settle with one or two in early years -- DITTO
Senior year, don't work a full time job so I could enjoy my last year some
Don't start drinking and drugging Ditto
Don't Get serious with a girl I met at work (HUGE MISTAKE) And DON"T MARRY HER a year later
Find a school to learn a trade, or college when I graduated. Don't wait 6 years to do that.
My parents did not support my decision of going to college. I didn't know what I was doing and didn't know who to turn to. They made it sound like it would be too hard for me. (Thanks for the boost of confidence). I wish I would have gone to college too, Bacpacker. The so-called guidance counselors did not steer me in any direction except to graduate a year early. I wasn't even a trouble maker!

Thankfully I didn't have any major mis-steps. There's only minor things I might change, but if not for those things I may not have ended up where I am now. So, with that said, I don't think I'd change a thing. I'm pretty darned happy where I am right now, and everything I did to get here was worth it.:)

Start having kids as early as you can. Don't wait until your too old to enjoy them.
There's some truth in this. It's good to be done raising a family by the time you're 50. (I'll be 51 when my daughter turns 18.) You get to enjoy some time of your own before you reach retirement, and then you hopefully get to enjoy your grandkids while you're still healthy enough and have energy enough to do things with them...

Follow your dream, or your passion. If you are doing what you love it isn't work. There are a couple of different career paths I might have taken with different guidance. In either one I probably would have been happier. 20-20 hindsight. "Of all sad words of tongue and pen the saddest are these 'what might have been'".

My parents did not support my decision of going to college. I didn't know what I was doing and didn't know who to turn to. They made it sound like it would be too hard for me. (Thanks for the boost of confidence). I wish I would have gone to college too, Bacpacker. The so-called guidance counselors did not steer me in any direction except to graduate a year early. I wasn't even a trouble maker!
My parents weren't oppose to any schooling, but left it to me to decide. Guidance consumers were useless at my school.

Again 20-20 hindsight, but the things I would like to have pursued I didn't think I could make a living doing. Foolish me. I could have made a very lucrative living doing something I loved. At the time, for me, there was a paradigm. I'm not saying it was right or wrong. It just was. You worked hard at school to get good grades, so you could go to college. You went to college, and got good grades, so you could go to work and wear a tie, and not have to dig a ditch.

You really didn't deviate to much from that path. At least I didn't. I was at least the second generation that followed that path. It was one area where my parents were not any help. I had a storybook upbringing. I had loving, supportive parents, and a Beaver Clever life. No complaints whatsoever. Career counseling was an area that was lacking. What High School kid knows what is available to them, or what direction they want to go? You follow the path of the people who have been most influential in your life up to that time.

In retrospect, if I had really thought about it, at a much younger age years before h.s. graduation, I would have asked to go live with other relatives, preferably my other grandmother after her husband, my grandfather, died. But that would have left the rest of the family left behind to have to get up and do housework, laundry, cooking, dishes, yard work, and with no money of mine from babysitting to steal.

I was also discouraged from following my heart and went the direction I was advised - wish I hadn't listened (school and home).

In retrospect, if I had really thought about it, at a much younger age years before h.s. graduation, I would have asked to go live with other relatives, preferably my other grandmother after her husband, my grandfather, died. But that would have left the rest of the family left behind to have to get up and do housework, laundry, cooking, dishes, yard work, and with no money of mine from babysitting to steal.
One more attribute to your character Weedy - cream rises as have you 💖

There's some truth in this. It's good to be done raising a family by the time you're 50. (I'll be 51 when my daughter turns 18.) You get to enjoy some time of your own before you reach retirement, and then you hopefully get to enjoy your grandkids while you're still healthy enough and have energy enough to do things with them...

I was 36 and a granny at 37 so we had lots energy and of fun with kid and later grandkids. Lots of sports mostly softball,baseball, water sports. Hubby and I were still playing softball at 50.

Seems like it made a strong woman out of you so lemon trees have the sweetest blossoms on them.
Like the song says lemon tree very pretty,

Back