Aerindel's Gyro Meat recipe.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerindel

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
One of the few things I used to buy in town in the before times was Gyros. Personally, I think nothing is more delicious and its very nearly the only fast food I ever eat.

Then covid came and trips to town became rare and eating there non-existent.

So for the past year, I have been trying to work on recipe to make homemade gyro meat, and not just any gyro meat, but gyro meat that tastes like what I used to be able to get in town, and which uses easy to find common ingredients, and makes a batch big enough to be worth the effort. I've tried many other online recipes and while they all tasted 'okay' none of them tasted like what I used to get at the gyro shop.

Its taken me many iterations but I believe I finally have 'perfected' my recipe and process. This is not designed to be healthy, authentic greek cuisine, or 'unique'. Its designed to be as best of a clone to restaurant gyro meat as I could get without buying a 30lb frozen cylinder of it.

4lbs ground Pork.

4lbs lean ground Beef.

1 and half cups bread crumbs. You can actually skip this but bread crumbs help the meat resist shrinking and drying out during cooking. They help soak up the extra fat and liquid lost during that step.

1/3rd of a cup table salt or equivalent. The salt is the hardest to get right and the thing I had to play with the most. You can reduce this to a 1/4 cup but I find that it needs 1/3rd cup to really have the salty 'bite' of the restaurant version.

1/3rd cup ground Black Pepper.

1/4 cup garlic powder

1/4 cup ground Cumin

1/4 cup ground Majorum

3 Tablespoons Whole Coriander seeds.

You can uses other spices but I have found these essential for the American Restaurant Gyro Flavor I was trying to copy. Again, the trick was not to just make spicy salty meat strips but to make that distinctive gyro flavor.

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well by hand. Divid into 2 or more portions depending on your equipment.

The next step cannot be skipped. Take your meat and put it in your mixer, food processor or blender and mix at medium speed for 5-10 minutes. Unless you have a very big mixer, you will have to do it in at least two batches. Your goal here is to transform your ground meat into a sticky meat paste with a texture similar to bread dough. It goes fastest in a blender, but is less messy in a kitchenAid with the paddle attachment. If your mix is too dry, you can add a small amount of cold water to help it.

Tightly pack your meat paste into two standard size bread loaf pans. It should just about perfectly fill two 9x5 pans to the top. Cover each pan tightly with tinfoil. Take care when packing the meat to not leave air bubbles or 'seams' in the mixture which can cause strange effects during cooking. Take your time and make as solid of a block of meat as you can with a smooth top.

Place your loaf pans in a larger pan such as a 9x14 casserole dish. Fill this second pan with water, making a double boiler type arrangement.

Bake in your oven at 300º for about an hour or until the internal temp reaches 145º.

Do not over cook the meat at this stage. If you want to eat the meat cold, cook until 165º to be safe but be advised you will lose more liquid and have a drier, leaner product.

Once you hit your target temp, remove your loaf pans from the oven and allow to cool for at least an hour. Preferably longer (such as overnight in the refrigerator)

When the meat is cool, remove from meat loafs from the pans (it should slide easily out in one solid chunk similar to Spam). There will be a little fat and 'meat jelly' around each loaf. If you fully cooked the meat to 165º you will have significant shrinkage and excess liquid around each loaf.

Slice your loaf into as much meat as you plan to eat. Divid into portions and freeze any meat you aren't going to eat within a few days.

Cook your slices on a hot pan to brown and crisp the edges. You can even grill them which makes them extra good.

Assemble you Gyros to taste with Tazaki sauce, lettuce, feta, onion, etc. I find about 1/2 of a pound of meat per Gyro is about right and don't skip on the Tazaki. (You can easily buy Tazaki by the quart at your local restraunt supply store such as Smart Food Service Warehouse (formerly Cash in Carry) or make your own but that is another recipe.

Last edited:
One of the few things I used to buy in town in the before times was Gyros. Personally, I think nothing is more delicious and its very nearly the only fast food I ever eat.

Then covid came and trips to town became rare and eating there non-existent.

Thank You! I couldn't agree more on Gyros... There was a greek restaurant in the big town by the university. I went at least once, sometimes twice a month. I even knew the greek owner by first name! It's been closed since last May.

I've been toying with Tzatziki recipes for months. They are pretty simple but I haven't tackled the meat seriously.

I do buy ground lamb sometimes, spice it and get something close but not close enough for me. I toss my shaped lamb logs in the air fryer. Its sort of like a lamb hotdog wrapped with pita bread.

Thanks for posting!

Homemade gyros has been my holy grail since forever… so someone took pity on me and gave me some advice, which I will share in this thread.

I want to try Aerindel’s delicious looking recipe and also a few of the ideas in this post:

First, the links he sent to me to make sure I was properly acquainted with the process of making gyros:

(be sure to turn on the CC - closed captioning)

And this is mighty fine, too:

https://www.mamaslebanesekitchen.com/meats/beef-shawarma-recipe/

Here’s what he told me:

You can't exactly duplicate the totally drool-worthy original recipes without a charcoal-fired vertical rotisserie thingy to weight and baste it right, but like NY pizza made with just bricks/tiles lining a regular gas oven, you can at least produce a reasonable approximation.

After looking around on Amazon, I spent a good bit of time lusting after all kinds of vertical rotisserie machines. Prices are not horrible, but still too rich for my wallet. (I did see a couple under $200, but not sure if they are worth the gamble?

Also saw a metal skewer on a stand thingie, not expensive. No moving parts, but maybe I can stack stuff on it like the real deal...with a layer of fat threaded onto the stack of sliced meats at intervals, and then put it in an oven. When almost done, then maybe I can bring it out to my outdoor campfire/cooking ring to get that smoking good flavored crisp.

Mmm....I can smell it now! (Always did have a vivid imagination, lol) Maybe I can do it using the right ingredients/technique and a little creative kitchen make-do?

He also advised,

Unless you are anticipating holding multiple gyro barbecues for large groups, I think probably a reasonable-approximation kitchen hack is the way to go.

I have a double-12-inch-square-working-surface multipurpose folding electric appliance Krups made years ago that includes a horizontal battery-powered rotisserie spit with hood that can be set up to drip into its rectangular frying pan below and an infrared grill plate that can be set in the other half for the heat source. (The Krups thingie can also function as a waffle iron, flat-plate grill or griddle, food warmer, and lidded electric frying pan/shallow casserole with its other snap-in attachments and operated closed, stretched out flat, or with the 2 sides set at a right angle (which is what you do to use it as a rotisserie).

To make a small batch of gyro meat, I reverse the removable prongs on the spit so they stick out instead of in and back them up to a couple of drilled can lids and screw them down to firmly compress a stack of marinated meat and fat sized between a 1/2-lb coffee and 40-oz juice can between the lids. (I fix one lid in place on the spit and then anchor the handle end vertically in a coffee can using a bunch of glass marbles for flower arranging to hold the spit upright for loading.) I tack an extra narrow strip of suet/fatback along the stack lengthwise, with each end tucked over so the lids hold it in place, and it works pretty well to keep the meat compressed and baste it in yummy fat while cooking. (Some bacon is great to use if it's a chicken gyro.) I find great-grandpa's old cutthroat razor works nicely as a scaled-down gyro knife to cut off the meat as it gets done. It ain't vertically-cooked charcoal-grilled gyro meat, but it's way ahead of whatever is in 3rd place, and it makes a suitable amount of gyro for 1 to 6 people instead of enough for 50 or more.

Pretty sure if you have any kind of rotisserie grill, you can give gyro a try with a similar hack. If you find yourself repeating the exercise frequently at large scale/holding big fat Greek weddings with a gyro menu/opening a fast-food gyro joint, then you can consider whether a pricey appliance to get a bit more authentic/serve a crowd is worth it for you. (Personally, I'd only spend $200 on something more generally useful.)

Some more info...

If you want to buy gyro loaf lots of folks sell it.

At Parthenon Foods you can buy by frozen gyro loaf, cooked, uncooked and in various sizes, one pound up to 100lbs, they also have an Amazon store.

There are lots of other companies selling gyro loaf on Amazon if you want to compare prices. Be prepared to pay out the nose… Shipping is usually more than the loaf. A 6lb loaf is $40-$50, just the shipping will be $60.
https://www.parthenonfoods.com/products/gyro-meat-loaf-approx-6lb
Also, this is the Good Eats episode where Alton Brown goes through the process of rigging a horizontal rotisserie on a gas grill and makes Gyro Loaf.

I've worked in a lot of north eastern cities, almost all had Greek neighborhoods. Lamb and beef are always used in gyro loaf, sometimes there is also pork. For me a gyro doesn't taste right unless it has lamb.

i make gyros for Passover each year.i take lamb roasts that were marinated.often a entire leg of lamb and i break it down by muscle sections so it cooks/smokes faster being small pieces..plus it gives it more smokiness over more surface area. put it on smoker and get with it. when done i let it cool and then slice it super thin with a fillet knife.

one thing too or at least around here they were/are served with thin slices of cucumbers.i think they add something towards traditional way...? who knows really...but i do that. also my onions and tomatoes i slice thin as well.

I just ordered one at Arby's the other day and it was great. In Albuquerque at the Sams Club, I was able to buy it in the frozen foods section. The Kansas Sams doesn't stock it, and husband just looked, and Sams stopped stocking it all together. Looking forward to trying this recipe. I make a great sauce.

Latest posts

Back