After Nuked gardening

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poltiregist

poltiregist
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
For those residing outside the blast areas they may need to garden a little differently considering the Global Winter Predictions . I would think plants that would grow in cool and cloudy conditions would be the route to go . Would the clouds actually help certain plants to grow as in a green house creating a diffused light ? This line of reasoning is being presented so our members can have the correct seeds for the After Nuked Life Style . Which plants would be best " above ground " or "underground " ?

Probably a good place to start is what are the people in the north growing. We have a short growing season here, plant by may 24 and often a killing frost in early september.
plants that are shade tolerant would probably. do better, and a person might need to figure out how to raise the soil temps to help with germination. Experiments with earlier planting, right now might point you in the right direction. Potatoes seem to grow no matter what.

If you have been affected by fallout you will have to start by carefully removing the top 6 inches of soil and depositing it where it will not leach into your ground water.

If you have been affected by fallout you will have to start by carefully removing the top 6 inches of soil and depositing it where it will not leach into your ground water.
I have been thinking about this, if the soil is covered with plastic would you still need to remove top soil? The stuff I have read indicated that the majority of the exposure would be in the first 2 weeks after the event, could people who use raised beds cover all their beds for 2 weeks and then start over?

What's really scary is that so many are asking these questions again.

If the soil is covered and you can remove the cover without dusting the soil and place the contaminated cover someplace it won't leach then you are good to go. Burying the soil and cover 10 feet below the surface is adequate storage. It will leach but the radiation will reach background level before it does any damage. You just don't want your plants to concentrate the toxins in your food.

After thinking about this over night, I think I should invest in several rolls of plastic and some anchor stakes or bricks that could be quickly deployed. Then again if I see a bright orange flash my plans could all go up in smoke....

It's starting to feel like the 1960s, I guess we should practice climbing under our desks...

What's really scary is that so many are asking these questions again.

I agree. It is scary, but I think we are closer to having a maniac push the button than at any time since the Cuban missile crisis. And this one is truly a monster. How long is the world going to watch Putin's atrocities before this escalates into a real World War? One thing I have heard about Putin, which I do believe. He doesn't have a "REVERSE". He isn't going to back down, and he isn't going to stop on his own. He will have to be stopped.

Correct. your best bet is to greenhouse everything possible, fast growing fungi, root and herb crops, forget outdoor gardening for up to five years or you'll have to live on Prussian blue and thyroid blockers. fortunately hydroponics are pretty easy and making soil is pretty easy, so don't waste your waste, yes, I mean THAT! even urine can be used to make gunpowder, and every bit of organic matter needs to go to compost! in the meanwhile, get some of these:
https://diytoolsupply.com/shop-all/...MI3reF7NDF9gIVbxmtBh2RRgVaEAQYAiABEgJWnvD_BwEAnd get yourself some Polk seeds, kudzu, mustard, turnip, dandelion and platin seed, the damn things will literally grow as you watch and don't forget how to sprout beans, bean sprouts provide better nutrition that mature beans and are easier to digest. go here.
The Industry Leader In Sprouting | International Specialty Supply
And after you evacuate your shelter, turn it into a shroom farm.
https://grocycle.com/easiest-mushrooms-to-grow/

Latest posts

Back