Ag extension resources

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patchouli

Gatekeeper
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Every spring and fall our local ag extension hosts a plant sale featuring master gardeners who are selling mostly native perennials and annuals, some vegetables. I usually have to work.
Just looked at the county ag extension website and they are offering online courses for a price on various homesteading interests, such as sheep and goat ranching 101 ($25) or on-farm water measurement and flow meter installation for $60. Certificate of completion offered in most cases, over 300 courses offered. Some have to do with child care. You can tell by the price which ones they think people are into for the money. IE Viticulture Concepts and Practices Course Textbook and Downloadable Textbook $200. (Grape growing for the wine industry).
Most of the agricultural offerings are led by professors from Texas A&M.
I was trying to find their planting calendar, which they used to carry. Maybe there's too much to wade through.
So what does your local ag extension offer? (By the way, I struggle to remember the word "extension" every spring)!

Every spring and fall our local ag extension hosts a plant sale featuring master gardeners who are selling mostly native perennials and annuals, some vegetables. I usually have to work.
Just looked at the county ag extension website and they are offering online courses for a price on various homesteading interests, such as sheep and goat ranching 101 ($25) or on-farm water measurement and flow meter installation for $60. Certificate of completion offered in most cases, over 300 courses offered. Some have to do with child care. You can tell by the price which ones they think people are into for the money. IE Viticulture Concepts and Practices Course Textbook and Downloadable Textbook $200. (Grape growing for the wine industry).
Most of the agricultural offerings are led by professors from Texas A&M.
I was trying to find their planting calendar, which they used to carry. Maybe there's too much to wade through.
So what does your local ag extension offer? (By the way, I struggle to remember the word "extension" every spring)!
We don’t have an extension service here. It drives me crazy. I grew up with one then lived in a county with a pretty good one. I didn’t know any counties didn’t have them so was shocked when I realized it.

@LadyLocust that sounds frustrating! We had a really good one in Maryland too. It used to be a farm county where we lived and it is still, just toned down a bit with smaller hobby and craftsman farms. LOL
I found this, see if your county is listed here:
https://pickyourown.org/countyextensionagentoffices.htm
I will nose at that site. I can still call the former ESO but it isn’t info specifically for this area. They are a great resource for so many things.

My local eso went the way of the internet. A website is cheaper than several state employee per office X the number of counties in the state. The office is still there, don't know for how long. There's a clerk who can help you go in the right direction with what ever issue brought you there. Help get the right literature or help find the pdf file.

I can call the actual 'guy' in Huntsville, usually have to get a call back. Understandable, he has farmers in more than a dozens counties to help. Most folks don't realize the support given by states to farmers, commercial growers. Crops include tree farms now so logging gets folded in as well. There used to be meetings for commercial growers several times a year. Lot of good information, scientist, sometimes state veterinarians. I no longer have cattle or peaches, not sure how much of that has changed in the last 5 years.

This help/information is available to the public. I still use several extension service websites. Most often Tx a&m, Auburn, North carolina and of course Bama. I've studied wild medicinals for almost 20yrs now, ESO's are a gold mine of information, even for wild plants!

But there's help for people planting flowers in the back yard, got a bug in your garden? rose bushes dying? plum tree looks funny? Most people never use the 'accurate information available'. Emphasis on accurate!!! Sadly, people would rather trust billy bob's bug site! Shame...

To be fair, state government websites can be difficult to use. Sometimes it's like dealing with the DMV, only i can deal with them from my recliner. Don't even have to get dressed!!! 😁

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back