Aging at different paces

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patchouli

Gatekeeper
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I found this interesting article on what it is that makes us age differently than one another.
It is a long article and I have a hard time absorbing everything I try to read on the computer (books are different) but that's my brain on technology.
Anyway, see if there is anything that you can do to decrease unnecessary cellular aging in your body.
I know, it sounds ridiculous, but it is basically a lot of the things we've been told for years: Eat healthy food, exercise, don't worry about stuff, relax, have fun, get enough sleep.

https://medium.com/thrive-global/th...how-2-people-can-age-differently-c7ecd1c18cdd

I'm very fortunate to have good genes. Thanks mom and dad!! I also have had a relatively stress free life. Thanks DH!! I have been blessed to have had wonderful people around me who supported me and protected me throughout my life. I am so grateful for it. I do believe that low stress, lots of sleep, loving relationships, not smoking or using drugs, and not being a sunbather have all contributed to my relative young-ness as compared to many of my cohorts. I still have not ever colored my hair....even though there are some grays there, many my age have been coloring for years. My dad also had that trait.....not much gray until much later in life. I have also been active and have exercised pretty much my entire life, although I don't hit it as hard as I used to. I have not been, nor am I, a saint....but all and all I'm pretty boring. LOL!

Plus, I see older folks who look young and they have that "will" to live that is unmistakable. They don't typically feel sorry for themselves and they are the ones that just make things happen. I have an uncle like that.....he is more active than most people half his age. It's not that he doesn't feel run down sometimes, it's just that he feels like he has to keep moving or he gets bored. He no longer works, but he always keeps busy and he's the first guy there if anyone needs help with anything.

I also think nutrition is a huge component. I practice intermittent fasting and I think it has made an incredible difference for me. Humans weren't meant to eat all the time! Constant eating affect our hormones, which in turn, can affect cell growth, regrowth, and/or death. Eating nutritious food to allow our bodies to make new and healthy cells is also important.

I would also add that a nice makeup illuminizer can make a difference. I use very light makeup when I go out (none at home), but that very slight yellow and brightening effect of the illuminizer helps to dull dark circles and catches the light to brighten the face. It's an easy touch.....so I use it. Who said you can't cheat every now and again??:p

You have posted about intermittent fasting before and I didn't read it. Then I realized I was doing it and that was how I was able to nip off those last few pounds that want to come back. So intermittent fasting in my own style. I do it for spiritual reasons as well.

I have lousy genetics. Grumpy on one side, a little wildness on the other, that's just the beginning. lol
Nutrition is incredibly important, but sometimes with some people it doesn't matter! I know a woman who had incredibly healthy lifestyle, no kids, given 6 months to live after diagnosis with aggressive breast cancer. She lived through it, after a double mastectomy.
And an old lady I knew who ate poorly by choice as she got older, lived to be 92 before she passed away.

@angie_nrs I'm sure you're beautiful without makeup too.
My aunt and uncle sound like your uncle; they lived long lives but also were childless. Always on the go, ate right. A little bitter at times. lol
Tell me what illuminizer you use. I'm frustrated with my makeup. I need to get back into using the one moisturizer, it was awesome. Price came down on it finally. I used to not wear much makeup.
Me too, I have never colored my hair and a few grays have been in attendance for awhile.

Pie and home made ice cream is the key! Grandpa made it to 99 and Dad to 92. Dentist told me if all of his customers had teeth like mind he'd be out of business. At my last annual physical 18 years ago Doctor repeatedly asked me to confirm by birth date. My blood pressure was of a younger man. I've got a little gray on my temples and hair on top is starting to thin a bit.

Both of the wife's grandmothers live into their hundreds. Our children's genes should allow them to live almost forever?

On the other hand we had two Grandfather's and a Grandmother that died from heart attacks. Let's go back to the pie and home made ice cream topic...

Last edited:
You have posted about intermittent fasting before and I didn't read it. Then I realized I was doing it and that was how I was able to nip off those last few pounds that want to come back. So intermittent fasting in my own style. I do it for spiritual reasons as well.

I have lousy genetics. Grumpy on one side, a little wildness on the other, that's just the beginning. lol
Nutrition is incredibly important, but sometimes with some people it doesn't matter! I know a woman who had incredibly healthy lifestyle, no kids, given 6 months to live after diagnosis with aggressive breast cancer. She lived through it, after a double mastectomy.
And an old lady I knew who ate poorly by choice as she got older, lived to be 92 before she passed away.

My aunt and uncle sound like your uncle; they lived long lives but also were childless. Always on the go, ate right. A little bitter at times. lol
Tell me what illuminizer you use. I'm frustrated with my makeup. I need to get back into using the one moisturizer, it was awesome. Price came down on it finally. I used to not wear much makeup.
Me too, I have never colored my hair and a few grays have been in attendance for awhile.

Awwwww, you're sweet! I never said beautiful......young. LOL! I'm a plain Jane.....and just fine with that. Unlike many women my age who display that need to impress.....I don't. I brush my hair in the morning and if I'm leaving the house put on a very small amount of makeup......that's it! I save so much time that way. I can be out the door in 10 minutes or less. When I asked a friend of mine to use one word to describe my looks, he replied "comfortable". LOL! Yup, I agree.

The illuminizer I have is from IT cosmetics. It's a .49 oz container that should last me many years, if not forever. A little goes a looooooong way. I only use a few grains of it with the airbrush I got from there too, and that's all I need. If you use too much, you'll get a yellowish appearance, so I don't go heavy with it. It's just enough to capture some light just a touch. I got the starter pack with the blush, bronzer, and illuminizer in one compact and I still use that too. It's kind of pricy, but it lasts so long that it was worth the price. I never would have even known about it if not for a friend telling me about it. She said she has several compliments about looking different after she started using it. People were asking her "are you losing weight?, did you do something different with your hair?, what are you doing?" After she told me that, I had to try it out.

These guys were in great shape, danced all their lives.vI bet most teens couldn't keep up with them today.

Not only could they not keep up they don't have the talent that Bob Hope or Jimmy Cagney had in their little finger. Those two were real giants in the industry. Jimmy Cagney must be rolling over in his grave watching the BS that comes out of Hollywood today.

I try to look ptrsentable and for me hat wearing a little makeup and sometimes dress up just a little.
Hubby has to see me everyday so I try to make it as kind to his eyes as possible. He does the same for me. Life is depressing enough without living with a haggard looking person day in and day out.

Ran into the best man from my wedding, and my oldest friend, yesterday, at Walmart. He was getting meds for his wife, we were getting insulin for the cat. Talked for a bit, he had corn, but a hybrid, so we discussed that, then went our ways. I guess the takeaway was he hasn't aged well, and doesnt feel good. Worries me a bit cause I am 8 days older, and I'm not as good as I once was :p Last 10K i ran, some old Schiff blew past me in deck shoes. If I coulda caught him, well that wasnt gonna happen :p

Ran into the best man from my wedding, and my oldest friend, yesterday, at Walmart. He was getting meds for his wife, we were getting insulin for the cat. Talked for a bit, he had corn, but a hybrid, so we discussed that, then went our ways. I guess the takeaway was he hasn't aged well, and doesnt feel good. Worries me a bit cause I am 8 days older, and I'm not as good as I once was :p Last 10K i ran, some old Schiff blew past me in deck shoes. If I coulda caught him, well that wasnt gonna happen :p
At least you ran a 10k. I can't run a mile without pulling a hamstring. Shoot, I got tired just driving my car for 10k...

About the only problem that I have that is genetic is y bad hearing.
My body has been abused badly. Way too many things go into. I started making a list the other day. I just couldn't finish it. I have been inside for most of the last 6 months the last two a lot of time in my dark bedroom. My bad days are outnumbering my good days by far.

My SIL's mother is in her 80s. She has horses and takes care of them every day. She bucks hay cleans stalls and works her horse every day. I knew a guy that shoveled all the driveways and sidewalks in his neighborhood. He was 94. My Uncle rode his 600cc dirtbike until he was 70 and he still goes 4 wheeling in his Jeep and he is 77.
Age is a number not a death sentence for some people.

I believe STRESS is the number one Killer!
I do lot of stress killers to combat that...you do not know me,so I can tell you and not feel embarrassed..
one is playing loud music in my garage and me running around singing it like I was on stage.after about an hour or two of that I'm good to go inside and settle down for the night.

I believe STRESS is the number one Killer!
I do lot of stress killers to combat that...you do not know me,so I can tell you and not feel embarrassed..
one is playing loud music in my garage and me running around singing it like I was on stage.after about an hour or two of that I'm good to go inside and settle down for the night.
I can relate to that. I sing classic rock songs out loud all the time. Especially in the car with my daughter. She just rolls her eyes and says, "Daaaad...Really?"

:LOL:

I believe guilt is #1 with unmodified stress as #2. The physical stress of exercise helps to counter the mental and emotional stress and so does a good hug and of course that three letter word that happens in the privacy of a married couples room.

I believe guilt is #1 with unmodified stress as #2. The physical stress of exercise helps to counter the mental and emotional stress and so does a good hug and of course that three letter word that happens in the privacy of a married couples room.
Three letter word, in a married couple's room...

When I was married, the only three letter word in that room was "Nap"...

Patch hate to have to tell you but no woman is 'beautiful' without makes up after 40:rolleyes:. This is an enternal fact!Why do you think all those females on the cave carvings 1000s of years ago wore makeup?Before 40 its sexy,after 50 its presentable and nessasary.
My MIL wore makes up at 90 in hospital when she was dying!
This is my favorite under foundation moisturizer,concsealer,never greasy or caked.

1594481976092.png

@Meerkat Didn't you just say I was pretty on the thread about my weight loss? LOL Haven't worn makeup since 2011 and don't want to start again. I think my skin is healthier now. I do use vaseline at night for eyes. I'm not being mean, would hate to think I have to spend money to be pretty or presentable. LOL

@Meerkat Didn't you just say I was pretty on the thread about my weight loss? LOL Haven't worn makeup since 2011 and don't want to start again. I think my skin is healthier now. I do use vaseline at night for eyes. I'm not being mean, would hate to think I have to spend money to be pretty or presentable. LOL

Snap of course its up to you and yes you look pretty but for me I like makeup now and then if I am out I alwayswer a little. Hubby likes me to wear it too, he says " you look good I like the make up" . Last couple years I slacked up on it and my skin is no better for it.

I like to watch a couple women applying make up since not a lot to watch these days they entertain 'kinda'. One is in mid 50s other is late 70s.Plus they tell silly little stories while they apply it.

Latest posts

Back