Aging at different paces

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh I aint giving up, still not a 30 year old kid in this county that can keep with this old man. I look rough but I am rough....
you're one of those ruggedly handsome guys, eh? It really doesn't matter if you are, or are not, pleasing to the eye, does the person look good and healthy? That's more than half the battle right there. It's not just the way we look either, it's how we conduct ourselves. Beauty is often only skin deep.
There's been a lot of talk lately about collagen because we don't eat the whole animal anymore, we don't make bone broth soups, etc. and that's where the collagen is from. Also why you might see shark cartilage packed in capsules. lol

I've never worn make up and I don't intend to start now. In my opinion its a waste of money.

Well this cabin fever has uglied up things enough so I'll take all the made up I can get just to be able to look at myself. Plus I always wore makeup so why stop now? My complextion is ok,even better with a little help.But to each his or her own.:peace::thumbs:

Are you sure you didn't wear it in college? I thought I saw pictures.......😆

This picture?

I'll deny it forever..
FB_IMG_1594432457281~2.jpg

Jim

Last edited:
I'm very fortunate to have good genes. Thanks mom and dad!! I also have had a relatively stress free life. Thanks DH!! I have been blessed to have had wonderful people around me who supported me and protected me throughout my life. I am so grateful for it. I do believe that low stress, lots of sleep, loving relationships, not smoking or using drugs, and not being a sunbather have all contributed to my relative young-ness as compared to many of my cohorts. I still have not ever colored my hair....even though there are some grays there, many my age have been coloring for years. My dad also had that trait.....not much gray until much later in life. I have also been active and have exercised pretty much my entire life, although I don't hit it as hard as I used to. I have not been, nor am I, a saint....but all and all I'm pretty boring. LOL!

Plus, I see older folks who look young and they have that "will" to live that is unmistakable. They don't typically feel sorry for themselves and they are the ones that just make things happen. I have an uncle like that.....he is more active than most people half his age. It's not that he doesn't feel run down sometimes, it's just that he feels like he has to keep moving or he gets bored. He no longer works, but he always keeps busy and he's the first guy there if anyone needs help with anything.

I also think nutrition is a huge component. I practice intermittent fasting and I think it has made an incredible difference for me. Humans weren't meant to eat all the time! Constant eating affect our hormones, which in turn, can affect cell growth, regrowth, and/or death. Eating nutritious food to allow our bodies to make new and healthy cells is also important.

I would also add that a nice makeup illuminizer can make a difference. I use very light makeup when I go out (none at home), but that very slight yellow and brightening effect of the illuminizer helps to dull dark circles and catches the light to brighten the face. It's an easy touch.....so I use it. Who said you can't cheat every now and again??:p

Many of the oldest living people in the world could disagree, but I do agree that lack of movement and genes diets make a difference.
I read an article about the oldest living french woman ,lived to be 120 oldest ever verified birh. She too didn't follow any routines and loved french patries,full of sugar.
My hometown of smog filled Atlanta Ga. everyday on the Morning Show they celebrated anothe centuriuns birthday that lived in Atlanta.
Pount is ww don't know how long we will live but I do think we can affect it since most don't have great genes.
Chck out his diet,lol, click to 6:20 om video. Cup of whisky, cigars salt filled canned soup, ice cream.

Last edited:
Cool article. Have been on the right trajectory with my goals to be more focused on my breath, exercise, less time on social media and enjoying more raw foods. I want to feel good, and live long enjoy time with my fam, looking good is secondary. In the black comm. my neighbors comments, I’m “too skinny” not enough, “junk in the trunk.” I need to, “eat more” it’s a shame, changing habits and doing activities that gives you a decent quality of life is frowned upon.
I and my husband are happy with my progress, so it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks.
I used to hear the same thing about my weight. Back then they didn't realize how dangerous to the heart it is to eat what you want, as much as you want.

That's great. I hope "feeling ok" is part of it too. Last year I was being careful about carbs and lost a few pounds. It was hard to maintain that diet when I didn't feel like chopping veggies. I'm lazy more than anything. Looks like it's time to do something again.

All this healthy talk is making me fill sick. My wife goes on a diet, she loses the weight and I find it...

I have spent most of my life on a seefood diet, if see food and I eat it.... ;)

For a while I tried exercising (walking 3 miles) every morning and every evening but COVID-19 sort of messed that up. My exercise space in the basement became the marshaling grounds for the kitchen rebuild, I may get that back soon.

Wife and I are on 2 different planets when it comes to music... She like "bubble music" Lawrence somebody, I am not allowed to play my music in the house without headphones. Now that I have all my music in my phone, when I finish a 3 mile walk, my by artist play list is on Aerosmith.... One time I was taking the kids someplace and I had my music on, when we got there Wife asked the kids, how did you get here so quick, they all replied in unison, “Dad was playing "that" music".

Overall I feel good about my aches and pains, I am 10 years older than my parents were when they died; I was the oldest kid, now I’m the only one here…

I would be happier if I lost about 30 pounds, but it’s those tubs of ice cream that call to me in the middle of the night….

I've been fortunate, I suppose. Both of my parents died (five years apart) within a couple of months of their 90th birthday. I have had an ... interesting... life, full of happiness, sadness, ups, downs, things that I'm glad I did, and things that I wish I hadn't done. All in all, though, since I married Dawn in 1999, and also since we moved to our homestead in 2018, life has been good. I work a lot harder today than I did when I was a cubicle king, and the stresses of taking care of chickens, goats, and gardens are a lot less than the stress of doing office-boy stuff, traveling a lot, and stuffing myself with stale donuts during those interminable meetings.

Lifestyle means a lot to both of us. I did have some stents put in in 2015, and I see a cardiologist once a year who says I'm doing great. My family practice doctor, whom I see once every six months, says I could pass for sixty, which is BS, but I still like to hear it. We both stopped doing drugs years ago (except for caffeine), and I'm looking forward to matching my parents' age before I go to that great chicken coop in the sky.

I believe the most important thing you can do to keep yourself going in your old age is
(1) quit tobacco if you've started or (don't start if you don't);
(2) wear a seat-belt whenever you get in your truck and assume everyone out there's trying to kill you;
(3) work hard at whatever your passion is; and
(4) if you have an argument with your significant other, kiss and make up before you go to bed.

Anyway, that's my plan!

NOTE: if you will send me your name, address, social security number and bank card number (don't forget the 3-digit code), I will invite all of you to my 90th birthday celebration Dec. 22, 2034. Send now and avoid the rush.

Latest posts

Back