All things Irish and Scottish...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzleyette___Adams

Hermit on the mountain
Neighbor
If you have Irish or Scottish blood running in your veins, I hope this thread will move your soul...maybe even get your dander up.

I am a mutt, but have some Scotch-Irish in me (along with Cherokee, French, and 7th generation New Orleanian los Islenos Spanish).

If you know of anything Scotch-Irish that you'd like to share with us, please post it! Pictures, songs, videos, jokes, anything!

I will start off with the Highland Games...

Last edited:
Be sure to click onto the "full screen" icon at the lower right side of the video bar to get the full effect of these awesome heavyweight games.

Last edited:
Grand_Lodge_of_Scotland_(emblem).png

For the fellow Brothers out there

The farthest I traced my family history was to a man named David Logan, his wife was named Hannah who moved to Blount county TN (Knoxville area) about 1760. Both had been indentured servants in Virginia. Most folks were indentured for 7 years. At the whim of a British court an indentured servant could be made to serve as long as the land owner wanted.

"The first slave owner in America was a black man. His name was Anthony Johnson (b. c. 1600 – d. 1670) was a black Angolan who achieved freedom in the early 17th-century Colony of Virginia after serving his term of indenture. He became a property owner that owned slaves, and was the first person in Virginia to have his right to own a slave legally recognized by a British court."

A British court legalized slavery in America for a black man to own a slave.

That aside... research David and Hannah.

Last edited:
My grandmother, Margaret McGee, (Dads mother) was right off the boat at Ellis Island in 1898. She was just a wee lass of 4 at the time.

The red hair that often comes with Irish heritage was tempered in my siblings and I by the Scandinavian heritage on my mom's side. They sailed to N. America in 1566. The Irish accent faded quickly and was gone when I started learning to talk. There's no trace of it in me but because my grandmother had it, I can still pull it out if I choose. It's easy when I'm singing a song; a little harder in everyday speech.

We had a bit of Irish Folk music in the house when I was growing up. This is one I remember quite fondly.

Wife has gotten in Ancestry the last couple of years as she has been recovering fro 4 surgeries in the past 5 years. Last one for a shoulder replacement. I always knew I had some Irish in me, but she found 7 Generations back my grandfather Greenbrier Mitchell, who made the trip from Scotland to America back in early 1800's. His family in Scotland were fairly well to do Business people and he ditched it to come here and be free from the Brits.

I'm Scot's Irish, my family name came from both places. On the other side is another scot/irish blend along with Chickasaw. My dads people have dark hair, dark eyes and high check bones. I have blond hair and blue eyes and a terrible temper. I don't know if its from the Scots the Irish or the Chickasaw. All 3 have a reasons to be pissed! :rolleyes:

My dander was up the day I was born! :mad:

Last edited:
I am Scottish, strong lines in both sides, as well as English, Irish, Austrian, German and French Huguenot.
This is crazy, I have too much to say about genealogy and end up with a smokin' keyboard.

On my dad's side, it was through his mother's mother's father that I claim Scottish lines. I found a copy of his will and he left one of his daughters a certain cow which sounded kind of funny. That was in the early 1800s.
I freely offer my assistance to anyone who wants help researching their family line, but I'm not an expert.
Skipping back two generations from your parents or grandparents would keep it anonymous or private enough. I've been researching my line and my husband's for more than 20 years. Frequently newly transcribed old records are released and you can uncover a treasure trove of surprising facts.
DNA testing is not something I have done. It kind of creeps me out.

Last edited:
This thread is not complete without this song: "Back Home in Derry."

This little group has nice harmony and her violin sounds almost like bagpipes, towards the middle and end of the song.

"Back Home In Derry"

In 1803 we sailed out to sea
Out from the sweet town of Derry
For Australia bound if we didn't all drown
The marks of our fetters we carried
In the rusty iron chains we cried for our wanes
Our good women we left in sorrow
As the main sails unfurled, our curses we hurled
On the English and thoughts of tomorrow

At the mouth of the Foyle, bid farewell to the soil
As down below decks we were lying
O'Doherty screamed woke him out of a dream
By a vision of bold Robert dying
The sun burned cruel as we dished out the gruel
Dan O'Connor was down with the fever
Sixty rebels today bound for Botany Bay
How many will reach their reciever?

Oh, oh oh oh-oh, I wish I was back home in Derry

I cursed them to hell, as her bow fought the swell
Our ship danced like a moth in the firelight
Wild horses rode high as the devil passed by
Taking souls into Hades by twilight
Five weeks out to sea we were now 43
We buried our comrades each morning
In our own slime, we were lost in the time
Endless night without dawning

Van Diemen's land is a hell for a man
To end out his whole life in slavery
Where the climate is raw and the gun makes the law
Neither wind nor rain care for bravery
Twenty years have gone by and I've ended my bond
My comrades' ghosts walk behind me
A rebel I came, I'm still the same
On a cold winters night you will find me

Last edited:
Ha ha, yeah, he ran around like he was tipsy, but those cabers are heavy and insanely cumbersome. They are traditionally 19 feet 6 inches tall and weigh 175 pounds. Ouch.

Some caber tossers make it look easy, but it's anything but easy... Here is a more realistic video (some make it; some don't):

I know Griz. It thought it humorous as to how he was staggering around. I seriously doubt I could get one off the ground and not fall over backwards, or blow out my back. Lots of training and effort are put into preparing to compete in those games.

Me too, me too! I laughed so hard that I had to share it with all y'all... he does look like a poor drunk fool, tho!

This is an ancient song from the 1500s called Baloo Lammy, which in Gaelic means "Lullaby for the Christ Child."

Ha ha, yeah, he ran around like he was tipsy, but those cabers are heavy and insanely cumbersome. They are traditionally 19 feet 6 inches tall and weigh 175 pounds. Ouch.

Some caber tossers make it look easy, but it's anything but easy... Here is a more realistic video (some make it; some don't):

this looks like me at work sometimes I bet..and they keep tellin me to stop breaking *hit...I'm thinking ...its in my dna man...gawd...my native American side is like..be one with the tree woman...shaa...dang........I'm tryin elder tree spirit..im tryin...the force is with me..

Hahahahaha!!!!!! That made me laugh way louder than I should... I can totally relate, Hooch!

Latest posts

Back