All your food is gone

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People make interesting statements on prepping forums. I wonder how educational it would be if we were each locked up with no water and no food. if they would learn what that is like.

Longer than "all your food is gone"!🤔😉
Maybe, I don't know your situation. What I know is I have "carefully" chosen a location, with abundant protein & "fat" (Moose, Dall Sheep, Caribou, Mountain Goats, Rivers chocked with four species of Salmon, Seals, Whales, Beavers, Two species of Bears, abundant (but seasonal) Berries, Rosehips, Mushrooms, etc..

Totally enclosed in the center of a Seven Million Acre National Forest.

Last edited:
Of course I am not going to survive a full on assault by an army of people. That's not what I was getting at.

You wouldn't either.

Nobody here would.
Well, I have to flip the tables and say that I think I would make a pretty good "predator".
Taught to hunt and harvest from the weak for decades since I was 8.
It's in my DNA.

Of course I am not going to survive a full on assault by an army of people. That's not what I was getting at.

You wouldn't either.

Nobody here would.
Did I mention an army.........?

Perhaps that would be an army of strawmen then......

The points I did post would apply to even a couple of to several guys with rifles taking you on.

Since you assessed that:

The odds are quite high that I could protect what I've got

Are you ready for even that many?

Again, I am not trying to offend you.......but this idea that typical suburban dwellings are defensible (by groups as small as one person) is too often posted without challenge.

The purpose of the challenge is that at least some people in that situation may either work on making where they are more defensible or may consider more seriously the option to get out before things get that bad.

The points I did post would apply to even a couple of to several guys with rifles taking you on.
And how would you fare against that? Is your house hardened? Do you have any windows? Do they stop bullets? Is your house completely non-flammable? Could they hammer-drill a hole through your concrete walls, insert a tube, and flood your house with Anthrax? Yes, there is always a way to be defeated. Especially if facing multiple attackers. That's not what I was talking about.

You forgot to mention that one guy in an Abrams tank could also breach my house and I wouldn't be able to defend against that either (if that vehicle can even be operated by a single person - I wouldn't know). This is true. I would not be able to stop the tank, and they would probably be able to get my can of beans without too much fuss.

That is why it is important to have edibles flowers, that most people would not know are food.
Sunchokes are a sunflower & an invasive weed, if you do not have deer to control it.
Sunchokes tubers can stay under ground all winter.
There are over 52 edibles flower & they are listed some where in a thread on this site.
Daylilies, violets, Nasturtium, you can eat the whole plant.
https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/edible-flowers-79-of-them.2999/#post-445932

And how would you fare against that? Is your house hardened? Do you have any windows? Do they stop bullets? Is your house completely non-flammable? Could they hammer-drill a hole through your concrete walls, insert a tube, and flood your house with Anthrax? Yes, there is always a way to be defeated. Especially if facing multiple attackers. That's not what I was talking about.

You forgot to mention that one guy in an Abrams tank could also breach my house and I wouldn't be able to defend against that either (if that vehicle can even be operated by a single person - I wouldn't know). This is true. I would not be able to stop the tank, and they would probably be able to get my can of beans without too much fuss.
Where you are located was unsurvivable and you stayed too long.

Lol indeed.

As I have posted before, I look at risk differently to most. But I actually think I would do OK in some of those far away places if I was stuck there in a crisis. I know how to get along with people and empirically, most of the people I work with in those places take an instant liking to me.

I only spend a few weeks a year offshore now.....and I am willing to take that risk for my own reasons. One of those reasons is that my work provides an almost unlimited budget for enhancing preparedness......so there is a tradeoff right there.

I expect that most people will not move until well after they should have. Many will move to the wrong places. Most will not be prepared to move and then survive where they end up. But I am not advocating making any of those mistakes.

Modern people are mostly dumb and afflicted with normalcy bias. They do not provide good role models for survivalists.

I bet a bunch of upper middle class and better Venezuelans got out early with enough of their wealth to setup a new life somewhere much better. The media doesn't talk about them because that does not fit in with their pinko agenda/message.

Agreed. Most won't leave......but that doesn't mean that is the best plan.

Not many of the refugees that came out of Afghanistan would like to go back.

I would not suggest people head for places with grocery stores etc except for a localized mild short term crisis like a hurricane.

I would rather the people of Sri Lanka stay where they are and work to fix their country. They wrecked it.....they should fix it.

Develop all the key capabilities....including mobility.

Good idea.

I would rather most of them stay where they are........and because of normalcy bias, most will.

Yep.....me too.

Yep. Running cattle (without any inputs from the outside) requires more land than most have for a homestead.

The goats in the worst parts of Africa eat cardboard.
work with me here i dont edit well like you...spring boarding off your answers/comments

people today..they are what they are and its what each will deal with in a society.

the biggest slum outside capital of Venezuela is still in tact and working and has there been killings.i am sure but not enough to make many flee or maybe its just they cant flee.it alone is a population of over 1million. its still stands and they are grinding it out. i am not saying its the way to do it..its just what is...its an example of people not moving.

we all have opinions and i use to think people would be on the move..but the last 30 years has shown to me that many wont till forced and even then not...and like i said logistics.

just listened to interview out of new zealand filmed in fall/winter of 2022.these people left because of law changes,prices of everything and lack of accesses to traditional lands and govt crackdowns of 'stuff'.like sri lanka you mentioned their fall happened over to much debt and one guy doing the green tree hugging crunch granola move of no fertlizer imports to be all green. the population had zero say in it..exactly how we are here today in u.s. with our bs out od d.c. and agencies doing things having huge effects on us here but yet he we are collectivly doing nothing about it. that jackass O.put in effect things that changed entire face of my area and has destroyed everything here.

just look at people crossing out border...we cant even handle that small amount of people in facilities.this is not about the event but logistics.

i think people under estimate the poor of this planet.they already are doing the hard things many in the west would consider a shtf life and they have much farther to go down and fall.poor get up daily and grind it out..everyday all day.

That is why it is important to have edibles flowers, that most people would not know are food.
Sunchokes are a sunflower & an invasive weed, if you do not have deer to control it.
Sunchokes tubers can stay under ground all winter.
There are over 52 edibles flower & they are listed some where in a thread on this site.
Daylilies, violets, Nasturtium, you can eat the whole plant.
https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/edible-flowers-79-of-them.2999/#post-445932

i tried to establish a patch of these. they lasted just a bit over 2 years. the deer mowed them down. i dont know where other people live and there whitetails are from..but here they eat everything...i mean everything. people talk about gorilla gardening..i tried and tried and tried...always ate by deer or eventually bear. bear ate an acre of sorghum grain for me....lol.it takes huge effort to get stuff established outside electric jurrasic fences here. one of better crops i had put out extra potatoes i had i a pile.they were looking great and waste high and big thick stalks....deer mowed them down to within inches of dirt...i even put jalapenos out and they ate the peppers and leaves off them all. guy i know use to live in texas that lives here talked about deer eating the wild peppers down there.

Chile Pequin and Chiltepin​

https://www.centraltexasgardener.org/resource/chile-pequin/

I practice 😉😃
you and the donkey fall under category..huge asset. like i said before a set of panniers both for regular goods but also water jugs for them. i be packing out some of them whitetails yall have so many of.sledding up stuff in remote area to build a 'spot' to wait 'it' out too.the list goes on and on.bug out donkey !

You wouldn't either.

Nobody here would.

Ok, I have to say something here: the average city person is not going to make it out here if SHTF in a major way ( war, EMP, grid down, complete society melt down). The gas will run out, the roads in the cities will be impassable because no traffic lights work, and most people are too out of shape , fat and stupid to get out walking. Yes there will be a few that will make it out and try to go to a rural area and try to find food, but we are still very far from any large city in Appalachia, which is probably not most city people's first choice of places to come to and try to survive.
That being said, here are the real threats imo: the US government left ( military , police, national guard ). They will have the means and know how to get here and take whatever they want. Second threat: people already here
But we are all going to die eventually, and short of having your own army or being part of that government horde you can't defend anything. If they want to take your stuff, they will.
Plus there is no country on this planet where that is not true. They will be able to get you in Alaska, Siberia or some jungle in Africa. It's really pointless to worry about it. The only hope you have is that 90% of humanity just dies ( but that would probably include us too) from a real pandemic, or an all out nuke war that destroys half the planet in which case I don't want to survive anyway

They will be able to get you in Alaska,
"BUT" Why would they. It would require an aerial assault. They would gather a million times more food that some remote Alaskan cabin "Might" contain, by using aerial assault tools in the national parks to harvest game.

"BUT" Why would they. It would require an aerial assault. They would gather a million times more food that some remote Alaskan cabin "Might" contain, by using aerial assault tools in the national parks to harvest game.
Agreed.

Bad guys would take control of the Alaskan cities and towns and rule over them - but those towns rely very heavily upon inputs from the South. When they get desperate, they may send out some hunting parties to harvest wild food.......but they will not be expecting to find much in the way of man-made plunder.

They may also target industrial sites and mines looking for fuel and vehicles.

Alaska is more likely to mostly decentralize and depopulate.

He poses questions like this every so often to get folks thinking, to help identify any holes in preps, and to help folks come up with plan B or C or . . .
It does help one think about various resources and if this, then thats.
I have only a bunny and a cat right now. Bunny eats grass year round (I currently do feed her store bought food also). Cat hunts. (I currently feed her also but she’s on a diet.
Us: we have peas planted in a field to one side and onions on the other and wheat right behind it. That’s in addition to the plants I currently have started. Lastly there are things most don’t realize are edible- hostas are a great example. Lots of greens right now. Oh and the wild turkeys were in our yard again this morning.

...deer mowed them down to within inches of dirt...i even put jalapenos out and they ate the peppers and leaves off them all. guy i know use to live in texas that lives here talked about deer eating the wild peppers down there.

Pesky illegal immigrant deer! I looked for an emoji of a Mexican deer with crossed bandoliers and sombrero, but this was all I found: 🦌

"AY, AY, AY, AY... I AM THE PEPPER BANDIDO!!!" 🤣

We should have an emoji of deer at a taco stand, macking burritos and liberally applying hot sauce! :oops:

Longer than some PREPPING HEROES think once the cannibalism kicks in, lol... 🍴 :oops: 🥢 🧂
Crikey cannabilism! I guess I’ll have to perfect my Chianti making skills.

all kidding aside, I live in an area that is so populated any survival would be unsustainable. Although I think it better than the Island of the Damned (Manhattan).

I was having a conversation with one of the locals, I mentioned Venison which I really love, his answer was "OH! I couldnt eat Bambi !"
which really surprised me, this was a 60 ish year old male, not some child, and that attitude is fairly common over here, if their meat dosent come in a plastic packet from the supermarket they wont eat it.
they wont even eat an apple off a tree, it has to be in a plastic wrapped packet from the store.

Last edited:
I was having a conversation with one of the locals, I mentioned Venison which I really love, his answer was "OH! I couldnt eat Bambi !"
which really surprised me, this was a 60 ish year old male, not some child, and that attitude is fairly common over here, if their meat dosent come in a plastic packet from the supermarket they wont eat it.
they wont even eat an apple off a tree, it has to be in a plastic wrapped packet from the store.
Did you mention that Bambi is really yummy?

Nasturtium: An Edible Flower With a Bite​

As a long-time wild-foods enthusiast, I’ve collected edible plants in all sorts of unlikely spots. But, I’d never harvested food from a flower garden until a family friend introduced me to the attractive yellow orange blossoms and round leaves of the common nasturtium (Tropaeolum majus). After being assured (and reassured) that the plant was both edible and tasty, I chomped down on a long, succulent stem. The flavor was initially sweet, but as I continued to chew, it became hot and peppery like a radish. “Wow!” I thought, my eyes watering and my sinuses opened wide. “That’s good!”
https://www.motherearthnews.com/rea...utm_type=Editorial&oly_enc_id=7809H2414078F3L

Latest posts

Back