Alone Season 8

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks

I wonder why they are advertising that season 8 was in the arctic? I just duckduckgo’d the lake and it is perhaps 1,000 miles south of the arctic.

they are not...last seasons they called it the artic.

this year they are calling it grizzly mtn because of all the grizzly bear...and boy is it a bunch there...wow !

Isn’t season 8 airing now? I must be confused about something. The below says arctic.

https://www.history.com/shows/alone/articles/gear-list

its because of editing on internet...this list did show it being season 7 the arctic. i dont know why but they finally changed it to say season 8...but you see it says arctic...history is very bad with editing...go to the history page and you can see title.

they just missed editing . theres other editing mistakes on history as well.

they are saying watch all episodes without signing in...i assume anyone can watch now if they suffer through the commercials.

https://www.history.com/shows/alone

The HISTORY Channel’s hit survival series “Alone” is back like never before and taking place in the most dangerous location yet. In Season 8, 10 contestants fight to survive in the Canadian wilderness on the shores of Chilko Lake, British Columbia. Equipped with just 10 items and a camera kit, each participant must survive in total isolation, with the hopes of lasting the longest and winning the $500,000 prize. Not only must they endure hunger, loneliness and the elements, but this season, they also face the deadliest predator in North America: the grizzly bear. No camera crews. No gimmicks. It is the ultimate test of human will.

if you look at a map this lake is not far from vancouver island where this series started. its much drier at this place. apparently it has a pretty big salmon run in the lake.

its because of editing on internet...this list did show it being season 7 the arctic. i dont know why but they finally changed it to say season 8...but you see it says arctic...history is very bad with editing...go to the history page and you can see title.

they just missed editing . theres other editing mistakes on history as well.

Thanks for clearing this up for me. The list and selections make more sense now.

Matt and Rose definitely won't make it.

Matt = no ferro rod. He is apparently overconfident and relying on his past experiences (as a "survival school instructor") making fires with friction. That is fine and good in some situations. but without having a means of preserving/transporting live coals the way our ancestors did (in a fireproof container--horn, etc.), he may be in a world of hurt. Friction firemaking in certain challenging conditions can be fruitless, as I am sure he is about to find out.

Too bad he didn't bulk up his body frame with more fat/calories before the show. Way too thin... it wouldn't take much caloric loss to take him out.

Colter = no ferro rod, BUT he did include a tarp, which may give him an edge on sure 'nuff shelter for friction firemaking. My money would be solidly on this guy if it were not for that. We'll see about this one, though.

Rose = WTHeck???? Eating Kinnikinnick berries? Really??? Apparently an armchair "survivor." I wanted to throw my Peterson Field Guide at her to help her out.

Edited to add: see post #99 on this thread for more info about these berries.

I am not yet decided on my winner pick(s). If and when I have more time, need to revisit lists and the first season.

Last edited:
@Grizzleyette___Adams all contestants are supplied with a tarp to build a shelter and protect the camera equipment and other gear the show provides. in past theres even been 2 tarps provided.not sure about this year if its one or two.

in season 1 if i remember correctly the tarp you could choose as a item from list could be a 20x20 tarp. now its 12x12. lucas miller brought a military grade rubber tarp and built a boat and traveled all over the ocean collect trash off shore from japan tsunami. he even found a cast iron frying pan washed up. be built a heck of a yurt too.

matt got a fire right off the bat as well as colter. the winner of season 3 in Patagonia said he only started a fire once and banked his coals nightly and daily and always got fire from them. he went 80some days.i agree about matt being thin..his choices of gear would not be mine but i like seeing folks trying different types gear and changing it up a bit. i would like to see them do a test...have 11 sites ready...they take 2 back up contestants in case someone gets sick or gets kicked out before it starts.they are serious about cheaters...but i like to see them pick sites and not let anyone know but put an unknown person on site 11 with a small bit of gear..like a fishing pole and a dozen lures and hooks and a few more modern items..i would like to see if the gear would help them last or if they would tap just as fast dispite better gear.

colter doesnt live far from this location on island in southeast alaska as the crow flys...its wetter there than here.more like vancouver island than this location.

theres lots of good wood i notice in background from contestants filming but looking more from aerial filming...i see deciduous trees...i heard one mention aspen. but i bet theres red alder there as well...as fall goes we will tell if theres larch pine. plus i see doug fir or grand fir both ..all these are great firewood...i like alder.

if ypu notice tim only brought a cuban handline to fish with and was having troubles casting from shore because of wind. in past they had a limit of how many spools you could bring on show of 4.i see several with 3 spools of various type lines. him only having the cuban reel limited him on making a fishing pole. you gotta push the limit of everything on this show. like winner season 3 one of his 25 fish hooks was a curved sewing needle. the show ok'ed it. he wanted to take his orange vest. they said no..but then said if it was part of his coat it would be ok. so he put buttons in coat and buttoned inside as insulation then unhooked it and wore his orange vest.

blah blah blah...i love talking strategy and so much more about this show.

https://bonnercountydailybee.com/ne...epared a cider-like beverage from the berries.

“Put that in your pipe and smoke it!” If you were an early pioneer, one of the Indian natives might have handed you some dried Kinnikinnick (Arctosphylos uva-ursi) leaves and bark for that very purpose. Kinnikinnick, also called Bearberry, is a wild-growing ground cover found in most of the Northwest and western Canada at a variety of elevations and soil types.

Its name (Arctosphylos uva-ursi) is redundant: arctos and staphyle are Greek for “bear” and “bunch of grapes.” And in case your Greek is a little rusty, we have it again in Latin: uva, “grape” and ursus,“bear.” Its alternate common name “Bearberry” says it all. Algonquin tribes dubbed it Kinnikinnick, which means “smoking mixture.”

In late summer the flowers give way to round fruits called drupes, ranging from 1/4- to 1/2-inch in diameter. Each drupe contains five nutlets (seeds), and ripens to a bright red in the fall. “Tasteless and insipid” is how Meriwether Lewis described them in his 1806 journals. Edible, but mealy and bittersweet when raw, Kinnikinnick berries are sweeter when boiled and dried. The Okanogan-Colville tribe cooked them with venison or salmon, or dried them into cakes. Indigenous people in California prepared a cider-like beverage from the berries.

https://bonnercountydailybee.com/ne...epared a cider-like beverage from the berries.

“Put that in your pipe and smoke it!” If you were an early pioneer, one of the Indian natives might have handed you some dried Kinnikinnick (Arctosphylos uva-ursi) leaves and bark for that very purpose. Kinnikinnick, also called Bearberry, is a wild-growing ground cover found in most of the Northwest and western Canada at a variety of elevations and soil types.

Its name (Arctosphylos uva-ursi) is redundant: arctos and staphyle are Greek for “bear” and “bunch of grapes.” And in case your Greek is a little rusty, we have it again in Latin: uva, “grape” and ursus,“bear.” Its alternate common name “Bearberry” says it all. Algonquin tribes dubbed it Kinnikinnick, which means “smoking mixture.”

In late summer the flowers give way to round fruits called drupes, ranging from 1/4- to 1/2-inch in diameter. Each drupe contains five nutlets (seeds), and ripens to a bright red in the fall. “Tasteless and insipid” is how Meriwether Lewis described them in his 1806 journals. Edible, but mealy and bittersweet when raw, Kinnikinnick berries are sweeter when boiled and dried. The Okanogan-Colville tribe cooked them with venison or salmon, or dried them into cakes. Indigenous people in California prepared a cider-like beverage from the berries.

https://eattheplanet.org/bearberry-loved-by-bears-and-humans-alike/
These berries should only be consumed in small amounts for a short period of time. Overconsumption of bearberry can result in adverse side effects such as nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, tinnitus, liver damage, breathing problems, and convulsions.

And so she found out the hard way, lol. It pays to know your food.

https://eattheplanet.org/bearberry-loved-by-bears-and-humans-alike/

And so she found out the hard way, lol. It pays to know your food.

one thing too..is before the show starts they spend 2 weeks at remote base camp for show going out with local natives being shown all the plants they use and how etc. plus learning camera equipment and hands on all of it.

keep this in mind...they do creative editing too...so keep that in mind when viewing...and audio.

edit...some of these internet things have contradictions...saying both or rather two things...from article you posted...now which is it...eat or dont eat? not saying this to you grizzgal..to all literature often we all read on edibles.

Edibility and culinary use

The small, bright red berries can be eaten raw or cooked. When eaten raw, these berries are dry, mealy, and almost tasteless. On the other hand, cooking bearberries bring out their natural sweetness, making them taste similar to cranberries. These red berries are great for making jam, preserves, and cool beverages. They can also enhance the flavor of stews and sauces.

Aside from the berries, bearberry leaves are also edible. Dried bearberry leaves can be brewed to make a refreshing and healthy herbal tea. This tea is often used to treat infections and to prevent kidney problems. Also, combining bearberry leaves with certain herbs can enhance its medicinal properties. People usually mix them with yarrow, dandelion leaves, hydrangea, corn silk, or couchgrass to make herbal infusions.

the few she had in hand should not been to awful...should it? who knows? the upset stomach could have been from something entirely different too.

Last edited:
this is the interesting part to me...

Health benefits

Native Americans have been using bearberry leaves to make herbal medicine for thousands of years. Bearberry tea is nutrient rich; it contains several B vitamins, vitamin C, iron, potassium, calcium, and magnesium. It also contains antioxidants such as tannins and flavonoids.

Bearberry (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi)
Bearberry (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi)
(Photo by: Sten Porse/Wikimedia Commons)

This drink is mainly used to treat urinary tract problems, including kidney infections, kidney stones, urethra infection, excess urination, and painful urination. Additionally, it’s also drunk to treat other conditions such as fever, water retention, indigestion, back pain, rheumatism, constipation, bronchitis, and diabetes. This herbal infusion can also serve as a mouthwash for mouth ulcers, cankers, and sore gums.

Bearberry leaves can be used topically as well. To do this, the leaves are crushed and then used to make a poultice. This poultice can be applied onto wounds, cuts, and burns to help them heal and to prevent bacterial infections. Bearberry poultice can treat rheumatism, back pain, sores, rash, and other skin conditions as well.

one thing too..is before the show starts they spend 2 weeks at remote base camp for show going out with local natives being shown all the plants they use and how etc. plus learning camera equipment and hands on all of it.

keep this in mind...they do creative editing too...so keep that in mind when viewing...and audio.

edit...some of these internet things have contradictions...saying both or rather two things...from article you posted...now which is it...eat or dont eat? not saying this to you grizzgal..to all literature often we all read on edibles.

Edibility and culinary use

The small, bright red berries can be eaten raw or cooked. When eaten raw, these berries are dry, mealy, and almost tasteless. On the other hand, cooking bearberries bring out their natural sweetness, making them taste similar to cranberries. These red berries are great for making jam, preserves, and cool beverages. They can also enhance the flavor of stews and sauces.

Aside from the berries, bearberry leaves are also edible. Dried bearberry leaves can be brewed to make a refreshing and healthy herbal tea. This tea is often used to treat infections and to prevent kidney problems. Also, combining bearberry leaves with certain herbs can enhance its medicinal properties. People usually mix them with yarrow, dandelion leaves, hydrangea, corn silk, or couchgrass to make herbal infusions.

the few she had in hand should not been to awful...should it? who knows? the upset stomach could have been from something entirely different too.

I am thinking that she didn't have just a few kinnikinnick berries.

Many edibles, when processed properly and/or consumed in moderation, are fine.

But some are not, and must be consumed in moderation, or else suffer consequences. It pays to know your foods.

Our ancestors had the benefit of learning from their ancestors. We don't. But we have a nearly unlimited resource: the internet. Therein lies the danger! Too many people read a handful of entries (much have of which has been copied or paraphrased from others, parrot style), and think their knowledge is complete.

To mitigate this problem, I like to type into my search engine: "dangers of (xyz) plant," or similar search parameters

For example, Lamb's Quarters are one of my favorite wildlings to eat, but I know better not to pig out on it in salads or eat it frequently. Why? Because too much oxalic acid will mess me up.

Here, look at this.

https://www.eatthatweed.com/oxalic-acid/

I get the idea that Rose tapped-out......is that accurate....?? How many remain....??? Is there a place to get current, what has happened.....???

you should be able to see first 2 episodes here.

https://play.history.com/shows/alone
no shes still on show..just had a belly ache...maybe.
Well..........I made it up to the first commercial. And could not figure out what to do. Looks interesting. I am on the slowest possible dial-up. Maybe someday the video will be available for purchase.

Amazon Prime has Alone for sale. Not sure if Season 8 is available. Might want to check.

When the commercials come on, it slows my internet down way more than the actual video, but I just get up and get things done and when the sound indicates the show is back on, I run back to my desk, lol.

Last edited:
So far, my money is on Nate. Also, we think a LOT alike and, so far, seem to share many personality traits.

Last edited:

When the commercials come on, it slows my internet down way more than the actual video, but I just get up and get things done and when the sound indicates the show is back on, I run back to my desk, lol.

Same.

If your patient, these all show up on netflix and hulu but you have to wait a year. This is the first season that I am watching 'in real time'

I didn't take too many notes on the video in the OP, but this time around, I am taking good notes. Lots of notes. Both the positive aspects and what I see as potentially deadly mistakes early on in their game (cringeworthy, yes. oh wow, this is crazy, lol).

Geesh... those commercials are horrid...buffering...buffering...hiccuping...lol

Last edited:
I watched the first 15 minutes or so of the first episode. I stopped when they guy saw the kitty cat. I will try to watch the rest of the first show tonight. I started to fall asleep which is typical at that time in the evening. Incredibly busy time of the year for me. I tend to watch more things in the winter when there are less chores.

Is each contestant issued all the required licenses and and harvest permits for Mountain Lion, Deer, Bears, Small Game, etc.. ???

Is each contestant issued all the required licenses and and harvest permits for Mountain Lion, Deer, Bears, Small Game, etc.. ???

Its tribal lands...or all other seasons were on tribal lands so it what production team negotiate with tribe,state and fed..or whatever you call it in canada. first season they could kill black bear and deer.this year from what i read its deer and mtn lion only..now if 'deer' includes moose,elk etc. i dont know.they dont dive into details but they do have rules to go by.

I watched the first episode of season 8 last night on demand. The first Alone episode I’ve ever watched due to your recommendations.

Thank you! I really like it!

I’m more of a movie watcher, only watch cable about once every month or two. This, I plan to keep watching! 😊

It wouldn't surprise me if given the situation and the production company $ if they simply work out a temporary 'subsistence' license or whatever they call it in Canada. I know in Alaska at least if you are living out in the bush you can get a license to hunt as needed for your own survival needs.

It wouldn't surprise me if given the situation and the production company $ if they simply work out a temporary 'subsistence' license or whatever they call it in Canada. I know in Alaska at least if you are living out in the bush you can get a license to hunt as needed for your own survival needs.

If the government had their head out of their butt........they would making the contestants "Exempt" plus kicking in a few hundred thousand dollars to the production company. You simply can't purchase this quality of advertising for the Country and especially BC. Think how sweet this is for the Hunting Guides and Lodges, Hotels, Restaurants, entire travel industry in BC.

I an not aware of any subsistence hunting or fishing license available for Alaskans in the bush. Same rules and same hunting season for everyone. On federal lands there may some different rules for those our government deemed special maybe.
In Canada my suspect is they are on private land probably native land.
I do feel that government should be paying anyone to make films. Seems to be working without it. Alaska speaks for itself.

Last edited:
It does get under my skin a bit when these outdoors TV shows show folks just going out cutting down trees n such. Or finding a so called abandoned cabin n move right on in. It is not there cabin and supplies that were very difficult and expensive to get there are not theirs, do not use them.
If I found someone in our cabin using up all my supplies there would be trouble.
I do like the show. But wonder why folks who get selected don't know more about the local flora. For food n medicine needs. Folks got by for thousands of years on knowing these skills.

I an not aware of any subsistence hunting or fishing license available for Alaskans in the bush. Same rules and same hunting season for everyone. On federal lands there may some different rules for those our government deemed special maybe.

We can discuss this if you would like. I get special Alaska Hunting and Fishing subsistence rights simply because of exactly where I reside, and for no other reason. These "rights" are only valid on Federal Government Land........but remember, most of Alaska is Federal Land. There is some State land, and some Private Native Corporation lands.

I did watch the first 2 episodes a few weeks ago based on this thread, and had actually forgotten about the show already until I saw this thread pop back up. They weren't naked, aren't they supposed to be naked and alone or something? :)

People sticking bones in their noses, contestants not knowing much about their surroundings, people with apparent health issues, etc, and not being naked caused me to loose interest pretty quickly.

I do like the show. But wonder why folks who get selected don't know more about the local flora. For food n medicine needs. Folks got by for thousands of years on knowing these skills.

The idea is not for them to be good at it. The idea is for them to suffer. The show wouldn't be a show if they had people who where true experts at where they where dropped.

Same rules and same hunting season for everyone. On federal lands there may some different rules for those our government deemed special maybe.

There are 222 million acres of fedral land in Alaska...;) so I don't think its much of a problem.

Latest posts

Back