• Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living.
    We are glad you came to visit.
    Ads in your way? Register/login and read with less ads, or ask how to get rid of them.

Alternative Medicine for preventing/treating COVID-19 infections (formerly 2019-nCoV)

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

Grizzleyette___Adams

Hermit on the mountain
Neighbor
First, the Dry Stuff:

THIS IS AN EXPLORATORY DISCUSSION THREAD ONLY and not intended to suggest treatments.

Many herbs do not play well with some pharmaceuticals and can be dangerous for some people with certain existing health conditions.

The posts on this thread are for educational purposes only, and are in no way intended to substitute for the advice of a health care professional.

This web site and its owner, and its members do not adopt any health, medicinal or disease-related claims based on any of the products, remedies, herbs, therapies or practices that may be discussed here. We encourage readers to be careful when using any medical information taken from the Internet. If you are unsure about your medical condition, consult a health care professional.

It is also a good idea to thoroughly research any herbs or alternative treatments before adopting them into your health care regimen. Many herbs are powerful medicines that can interfere with your medications or physical issues.

I would love to hear from herbalists here who would like to share personal observations and experiences. Even better: cited references, sources, etc.

Last edited:

Grizzleyette___Adams

Hermit on the mountain
Neighbor
Stephen Buhner, who is the author of several widely read and well-researched books (one of which is titled, Herbal Antivirals), has recently published on his Facebook page some recipes for interesting formulations that he put together specifically for the 2019-nCoV. (If you have the book, look at pages 54-57 for his discussion about some of the herbs which he also used for treating SARS with success.)

Here is Stephen Buhner's post:

facebook.com/100001768894566/posts/2694345887301015/?d=nStephen Buhner

Posted January 23 at 11:37 AM ·

Quote:
Coronavirus treatment. I have an analysis of how coronaviruses infect tissues, what tissues they infect, and the herbs that are useful to interrupt that process, as well as the herbs useful to shut down the cytokine cascade they create on pages 52-55 of Herbal Antivirals. It is useful reading in that it can inform treatment from a knowledgeable place (there are also some suggestions, not often used by medical professionals, for specific pharmaceuticals that have been found to be useful). Here is a sample protocol. Please note it is rather more extensive than the ones i normally suggest, this is because the particular coronavirus that is now spreading worldwide is exceptionally potent in its impacts. Again, this is only a suggested protocol, but all the herbs are specific in one way or another for this virus. A number of the herbs are strongly antiviral for coronaviruses. In general, I would only begin using these formulations IF there is good reason to believe that the virus is entering your area. The formulations are preventative as well as specific for acute infections, the only alteration is the dosage. Three tincture formulations and one tea.

Core tincture formulation: Baikal skullcap (3 parts), Japanese knotweed root (2 parts), kudzu (2 parts), licorice (1 part), decocted elder leaf tincture (1 part). Note, the berry will do i guess but it is about 1/3 as effective as the decocted leaf (which no one sells, you have to make it yourself). Dosage: 1 tsp 3x day, 6x if active infection.

Immune system, cellular protection, cytokine interruption tincture formulation, supportive for core tincture activity: Cordyceps (3 parts), Dong Quai (2 parts), rhodiola (1 part), astragalus (1 part). Dosage: same as above.

Cellular protection, cytokine interruption, spleen/lymph support tincture formulation: Dan Shen (3 parts), red root (2 parts), cinnamon (1 part). same dosage as above.

With active infection: very strong boneset tea, to 6x day.

I have used this with other coronavirus infections, including SARS, it works well.

----end quote---

(I didn't want to use the forum's quote feature, because it chops off content and you need to click to open it. Nevermind all that!)

Grizzleyette___Adams

Hermit on the mountain
Neighbor
Sam Coffman, who is the author of The Herbal Medic, also published to his Facebook page his herbal protocol (which includes over a dozen herbs) as well. His book is an excellent resource for anyone who is survival and preparedness-minded.

Here is his post:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&theater&ifg=1

Sam Coffman‎ (Herbal Medics: Field Medicine and Community Enrichment)

Posted January 22, 2020

Quote:
I have been getting a lot of questions about the latest coronavirus (CoV) that looks like it arrived in the USA (Seattle) yesterday.

The 2019-nCoV flu virus (aka Wuhan coronavirus, Wuhan flu) appears to attack the respiratory tract and can also affect the kidneys. Other CoVs in recent past were SARS and MERS.

Expect flu-like symptoms. Fever, coughing, shortness of breath, malaise. Probably the biggest threat this virus presents is the possible onset of pneumonia. Secondarily, another threat is kidney damage or kidney failure, particularly with people with weakened immune systems.

This is an airborne disease and most likely reproduces and enters the human body through the immune responses around our respiratory epithelial cells. Aside from good preventative measures (hand-washing, face mask if around people you know are sick or are sick yourself, good nutrition, no sugar, lots of rest, etc.), it is my opinion that any herb that helps support the respiratory tract will be helpful here. Examples are Thyme, Marshmallow, Elecampane, Licorice, Gumweed, Mullein, Yerba Santa, Yerba Mansa, etc.

Likewise, there are a lot of good “anti-viral” (a term I don’t really like using) herbs like Yarrow, Boneset, Ginger, Elder (flower or berry – you can see my multi-fractional extract video for elderberry – which can be used for flower as well - that are helpful - especially if they help with elimination (e.g. diaphoretic, aquaretic, lymph stimulating). Video posted below.

Many years ago, I made a formula in response to the SARS and MERS outbreaks at the time. This formula is specific to helping the body deal with the attack of CoVs, with many herbs that have been shown to slow or inhibit CoV viral replication, along with support for the respiratory mucosa, adaptive immune system and kidneys. I have tweaked it and changed some herbs (newer herb research since then) and it is called “reCoVer” in our online store now, if you want to check it out: https://herbalfirstaidgear.com/product/recover-formula/

Here are the ingredients:
Chameleon Plant, Sweet Annie, Japanese Knotweed, Licorice, Black Chinese Cardamom, Astragalus, Althaea, Elder, Goldenrod, Yerba Santa, Inmortal, Alcohol, Glycerin, Honey, Water

----end quote---

Here are some questions from his readers:

Quote:
Mary Andrews to Sam Coffman :
any recommendations for kidney support. From what I have read this is the main organ affected by the Coronavirus.

· Reply from Sam Coffman:

Yes, goldenrod, cordyceps, nettles root and/or seed are my usual kidney supporting herbs that all increase glomerular filtration rate. Combined with plenty of water of course, and if you aquaretic are good to have as well such as parsley root, celery seed, dandelion root, etc.

---end quote---

Here is how Sam Coffman makes his super potent multi-fractional elderberry extract: (Starts at the 2:40 mark.)

Making POTENT Elderberry extract for cold and flu season - YouTube

Grizzleyette___Adams

Hermit on the mountain
Neighbor
A lot of people have asked me if elderberry will help fight the WuFlu.

Although I am not a licensed medical professional cleared to dispense medical information, I will share my personal viewpoint based on a lifetime of herbal studies and experience.

Elderberry has been demonstrated in clinical and laboratory studies to disable a virus' ability to replicate. (Google it. It works on a variety of viruses.)

HOWEVER, elderberry can also increase the body's immune response, which raises the risk of an increased cytokine storm associated with certain viruses, and in the case of using it for this particular coronavirus, further harm may (or may not) occur in the lungs via more fluid build up there. As of this writing, we don't know enough about the effects of elderberry on this virus to say if it will or not, but because elderberry also contains other compounds that may work in tandem to lessen the storm. (Google it, there are several schools of thought about this.)

(But first, go here to learn about more about cytokine storms in general: https://www.breakthroughs.com/search/site/cytokine storm)

Many ordinary colds and flu do not pose a huge risk of a deadly cytokine storm, which is why elderberry is safe to use before, during, and after colds and most cases of common influenza, but certain flu strains and viruses do pose an increased risk of a cytokine storm. One example is the Spanish Flu pandemic (January 1918 – December 1920), which targeted the young and healthy more than the older population during the first wave of infection. (The second go-round took out people of all ages.)

I am taking elderberry syrup 3 times a day as a preventative if/when I am exposed to the public (or anyone who has), and as long as I am well and healthy. But if I suspect that I may have the dreaded virus that is making the news, I may discontinue using elderberry out of the abundance of caution against a potential cytokine storm.

Last edited:

Grizzleyette___Adams

Hermit on the mountain
Neighbor
Since this mess started, I've been spending a great deal of time researching and learning all that I can about 2019-nCoV to formulate backup alternatives in the event I am faced with NO doctor, NO more pharmaceuticals, and NO medical facilities/equipment. Plans B, C, and D includes managing medical care which includes herbs and other alternatives.

The more I dig into the research material, the more fascinating it gets. In addition to studying articles in the Lancet, ProMEDmail, PubMed, etc, etc. etc. etc. I am also digging into a few Chinese formulas that were used in the SARS days. Additionally, I am reviewing newer Chinese Formulas suggested by a team of doctors specializing in Chinese Medicine (herbal). They are currently working for the Chinese government in response to the Wuhan Flu Virus. (As we know, there is no "cure" yet, but the Chinese are definitely knocking themselves out right now.) I will link to these formulas in another post.

I am also digging into the repertoire of several herbalists such as Stephen Buhner, Sam Coffman, Matthew Woods, David Winston, and several others.

Once I am satisfied with my research, and after I confer with other herbalists (hint, hint, Peanut and others!) I will begin making my tinctures to make different formulations for different stages of the viral infection. The formulas will include a number of antivirals, supportive herbs for the lung and kidneys issues that may arise, herbs to address the cytokine storm, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Grizzleyette___Adams

Hermit on the mountain
Neighbor
Elderberry, Cytokines, You, Me, and WuFlu...

Here is why I have decided to take Elderberry to avoid being infected with this virus... and especially if I come down with what I think might be an ordinary cold, flu, or even allergies.

According to this WuFlu case history, the cytokine storm doesn't seem to kick in until well after the incubation period and the rather mild symptoms have presented for a few days.

This case was published in the New England Journal of Medicine titled, First Case of 2019 Novel Coronavirus in the United States

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2001191?query=featured_home

At first, this particular case seems encouraging because the guy survived. Glad he did, but there are some things to read between the lines.

He was young and seemed healthy enough at the onset, except for some mild symptoms that could be easily mistaken for allergies or some mild upper respiratory issues, or something equally NOT SERIOUS.

If he was not already alert to the fact that he needed to be watchful for the possibility of coming down with the dreaded WuFlu, no one would think he had anything of serious consequence until day 9 kicked in and things started getting real...

The full import of this virus scares the crap out of me.

It is cold and flu season right now, and the spring allergy season is right around the corner... People who are infected with this virus will think they have just a cold or an allergy, nothing to worry about, right? The symptoms are not that bad. Meanwhile, they are spreading germs everywhere they go...

So, yeah. I hope I can beat it in the beginning stages with elderberry syrup. And I will be watchful for worsening symptoms, in which case I will immediately discontinue the elderberry.

Hopefully, this nasty virus won't take too long to burn out of the population (and won't mutate like the common cold)! Meanwhile, if you get what you think is just a cold, flu, or allergies, PLEASE wear masks and do what you can to stay away from as many people as you can (self-quarantine).

goshengirl

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Grizzleyette, thank you so much for this. As soon as I can take notes on this, I will. Would love to hear more about what you learn. I understand that this is your personal research and opinion, not official medical advice - but you and Peanut are priceless with all this. I’d like to know what tinctures you end up making, if you feel comfortable sharing that.

Morgan101

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Elderberry, Cytokines, You, Me, and WuFlu...

Here is why I have decided to take Elderberry to avoid being infected with this virus... and especially if I come down with what I think might be an ordinary cold, flu, or even allergies.

According to this WuFlu case history, the cytokine storm doesn't seem to kick in until well after the incubation period and the rather mild symptoms have presented for a few days.

This case was published in the New England Journal of Medicine titled, First Case of 2019 Novel Coronavirus in the United States

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2001191?query=featured_home

At first, this particular case seems encouraging because the guy survived. Glad he did, but there are some things to read between the lines.

He was young and seemed healthy enough at the onset, except for some mild symptoms that could be easily mistaken for allergies or some mild upper respiratory issues, or something equally NOT SERIOUS.

If he was not already alert to the fact that he needed to be watchful for the possibility of coming down with the dreaded WuFlu, no one would think he had anything of serious consequence until day 9 kicked in and things started getting real...

The full import of this virus scares the crap out of me.

It is cold and flu season right now, and the spring allergy season is right around the corner... People who are infected with this virus will think they have just a cold or an allergy, nothing to worry about, right? The symptoms are not that bad. Meanwhile, they are spreading germs everywhere they go...

So, yeah. I hope I can beat it in the beginning stages with elderberry syrup. And I will be watchful for worsening symptoms, in which case I will immediately discontinue the elderberry.

Hopefully, this nasty virus won't take too long to burn out of the population (and won't mutate like the common cold)! Meanwhile, if you get what you think is just a cold, flu, or allergies, PLEASE wear masks and do what you can to stay away from as many people as you can (self-quarantine).
You are our go-to guru on this subject. Thank you for sharing. What are your thoughts on processed elderberry? Sambucol et al? Are they worth it? Will they have the same medicinal properties? If not what do you recommend? Is there something better in a Health Food store?

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
You go girl! I’m almost completely out of the loop on this new flu. I've been so wrapped up with family issues I haven't had time for anything else... I'm playing catch up at this point. Anything I might add is background info on herbs in general.

A bit about Cinnamon... I've been taught the most medicinal of the cinnamon species is Ceylon Cinnamon (Cinnamomum zeylanicum), it is native to Sri Lanka (modern name for the island of Ceylon).

I buy a pound of rolled bark every couple of years and vacuum seal it in several 1/2-pint mason jars. It'll stay fresh for up to two years unopened. I open jars as I need them.

I use Ceylon cinnamon tea w/honey for severe joint pain… very effective.

There are several species of cinnamon merchants claim are "Ceylon Cinnamon". The most common of these are Cinnamomum verum which is native to India. During colonial times the British transplanted it around the world. It’s sold in spice and grocery stores as cinnamon, sometimes labeled Ceylon Cinnamon.

Almost always the cinnamon you find at the culinary spice store or grocery store is Cinnamomum cassia or Chinese cinnamon. It’s a major export of China, Vietnam, Philippines and a few other places in SE Asia.

The species of cinnamon are confusing as all heck. Botanist are no help because they keep changing the latin/botanical names. Genetic research gets plants reclassified, renamed and move to different families. This goes on all the time.

Edit to add... These latin names are from my notes 2+ years ago... names may have changed. I'd recommend verifying the botanical names if you plan to purchase.

Exactly which cinnamon Sam and Stephan are using I have no idea. I haven’t been in touch with either is getting booted from FB a couple of years ago.
---------------------------------------------

I've been walking through the hospital ER almost daily since 05Jan. Since 14jan I've been taking Elder. In casual conversation I asked the sage of lookout mtn about elder and this new virsus... was told, keep taking it.

I know almost nothing about the Chinese names for herbs that grow here... can't connect any dots there.

Darn, been meaning to tincture some pesky knotweed! It's rare here but I know where some is growing.

The really big surprise to me is no mention of poke sallet for stopping a cytokine storm. After re-reading a couple of times I think both Sam and Stephen are focused on preventing a cytokine storm, not dealing with a storm.

That’s all I have to add after 3 days of little or no sleep. Taking tonight off to get some rest.

Ceylon cinnamon sm.JPG

Last edited:

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
@Grizzleyette___Adams , @Peanut , all

Do you have any good sources for herbs? @Peanut, I'd love to know where you get your Cinnamomum zeylanicum.
90% of the herbs I use I find growing wild. The others I trade for... example... crossvine isn't rare here but can be difficult to find. I've a friend who lives where crossvine is as common as kudzu and just as annoying. My friend lives on the appalachian plateau, I live close to the coastal plain (geographic region). I have access to plants my friend doesn't, we trade!

I honestly don't remember where I ordered Cinnamomum zeylanicum last time. It was over the internet, the company was certified USDA organic and belonged to a trading group in Sri Lanka, reputable and belonged to their version of the BBB. Even though I need some I don't currently have time to do the searching.

Morgan101

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
90% of the herbs I use I find growing wild. The others I trade for... example... crossvine isn't rare here but can be difficult to find. I've a friend who lives where crossvine is as common as kudzu and just as annoying. My friend lives on the appalachian plateau, I live close to the coastal plain (geographic region). I have access to plants my friend doesn't, we trade!

I honestly don't remember where I ordered Cinnamomum zeylanicum last time. It was over the internet, the company was certified USDA organic and belonged to a trading group in Sri Lanka, reputable and belonged to their version of the BBB. Even though I need some I don't currently have time to do the searching.
Peanut: I have always been a big proponent of Cinnamon and Honey, but I had no idea there were so many kinds of cinnamon. I have always used McCormick's because it was handy on the grocery store shelf. Sounds like that may not be the best choice. Do you know what kind of cinnamon they make? There was no Latin name on any of the labels. Is there a brand you would recommend that might be a little more accessible? Thanks for all the info.

goshengirl

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
mountainroseherbs.com has Cinnamomum verum. I don’t feel that I can evaluate a supplier, but my understanding of Mountain Rose is that they are reputable. Numerous herb and essential oil schools direct their students to Mountain Rose.

According to Wikipedia (not a great source), cinnamomum verum is the modern name for cinnamomum zeylanicum. I have no idea how accurate that is. But Mountain Rose does list their cinnamomum verum as from Sri Lanka.

Morgan101

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
mountainroseherbs.com has Cinnamomum verum. I don’t feel that I can evaluate a supplier, but my understanding of Mountain Rose is that they are reputable. Numerous herb and essential oil schools direct their students to Mountain Rose.

According to Wikipedia (not a great source), cinnamomum verum is the modern name for cinnamomum zeylanicum. I have no idea how accurate that is. But Mountain Rose does list their cinnamomum verum as from Sri Lanka.
Thanks, Goshengirl. I will check them out.

Patchouli

Patriot
Neighbor
I mentioned in a different COVID19 thread about Dr Christopher's formula that used to be called "Anti-Plague" but now is called "Super Garlic Immune Formula."
When this virus started making news, that product started flying off the shelves and out of the warehouses. I have used it to keep immunity up during flu season and have used it when sick as well. It seemed to help kick it out.
The ingredients are fresh garlic juice, mullein leaf, wormwood, lobelia, marshmallow root, white oak bark, black walnut hull, skullcap herb, gravel root, plantain leaf, and aloe vera gel.

Morgan101

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I mentioned in a different COVID19 thread about Dr Christopher's formula that used to be called "Anti-Plague" but now is called "Super Garlic Immune Formula."
When this virus started making news, that product started flying off the shelves and out of the warehouses. I have used it to keep immunity up during flu season and have used it when sick as well. It seemed to help kick it out.
The ingredients are fresh garlic juice, mullein leaf, wormwood, lobelia, marshmallow root, white oak bark, black walnut hull, skullcap herb, gravel root, plantain leaf, and aloe vera gel.
Patch: I'm sorry. I just can't my head around those ingredients. JMHO but they sound disgusting. I think I would rather have the disease than the cure. An odd question, but how does it smell? If I can't get it past my nose there is no way it will stay down. My wife swears by garlic, but it is not my cup of tea.

Patchouli

Patriot
Neighbor
Oh it's nasty to be sure. Someone once said that no virus could stand to be around those herbs together. It has a bite and I thought it had vinegar in it too. Like any "medicine," you take it regularly for a few days for infection, or regularly all season for immune system.
On another note, I've used various of the herbs, when I didn't have the formula itself, in tea and it helped with bronchitis-like symptoms.

Bacpacker

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter

leaving. Bought stuff from Mountain Rose Herbs before. I was well pleased with them all the way around. Quality, price, delivery. They carry a lot of stuff too.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Peanut: I have always been a big proponent of Cinnamon and Honey, but I had no idea there were so many kinds of cinnamon. I have always used McCormick's because it was handy on the grocery store shelf. Do you know what kind of cinnamon they make?
Cinnamomum cassia has a really strong smell and taste and is most often used for cooking. Just a guess, but this is probably what McCormick uses. The medicinal cinnamons are weak on taste and smell.

That's not to say cassia isn't medicinal... It's just there are others that are more potent medicinally speaking.

leaving. Bought stuff from Mountain Rose Herbs before. I was well pleased with them all the way around. Quality, price, delivery. They carry a lot of stuff too.
I've done business with Mountain Rose Herbs also, I like the company.

I understand the use of these herbs except for aloe vera gel, don't get that one... Also this seems to be a formula for treating the flu after you get it. It's weak on antivirals, has only two. It doesn't offer kidney support either. Sam Coffman and Stephen Buhner are both heavy on stopping the flu before you get it or just after. They are also stressing kidney support.

It would smell nasty too.:D Thats a good reason to keep lavender around!

The species of cinnamon are confusing as all heck. Botanist are no help because they keep changing the latin/botanical names. Genetic research gets plants reclassified, renamed and move to different families. This goes on all the time. Edit to add... These latin names are from my notes 2+ years ago... names may have changed. I'd recommend verifying the botanical names if you plan to purchase. Exactly which cinnamon Sam and Stephan are using I have no idea. I haven’t been in touch with either is getting booted from FB a couple of years ago.
I did a little research on species this morning. If anything they are now even more confusing than 2+ years ago. There seems to be another confusing twist... countries are now producing more than one species of cinnamon. I found 4 species being exported from Vietnam. o_O

Is there a botanist in the house? :dunno:

1) From experience I can say chasing down species is a rabbit hole that is easy to get lost in.

2) For my purposes its best to buy whole herb, in this case rolled dried bark is better than powder. Rolled bark holds its potency far longer than powder. It's like the difference between buying peppercorns and grinding them yourself or ground pepper in a can. I grind my own peppercorns, it's fresher, tastes better.

3) I always prefer fresh herb or root. My second choice is dried herb or root. My last choice is always powder.

Last edited:

Caribou

Time traveler
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Here is where I get most of my spices. Here is what they call Ceylon Cinnamon. I've never tried this product but I'm pleased with what I have tried.

Patchouli

Patriot
Neighbor
Thieves blend of essential oils is very popular for warding off the flu. A friend rubs it on her feet every a.m. before work, works at a hospital, doesn't get sick. I've seen other accounts of it keeping illness away from various natural medicine users and other friends as well. Ingredients include cinnamon bark, clove, lemon, eucalyptus, rosemary.
I think the aloe can help with the digestive soothing in the super garlic formula. That's what works for them in the formula and many people use it again and again. Yeah, it smells horrible, but it tastes even worse! I'm not skeptical of it, never have been.

Grizzleyette___Adams

Hermit on the mountain
Neighbor
I posted this on another forum, but I would like to address it here as well because it seems to be a persistent problem all over the internet:

The post included my response to this list of herbs to take for Covid-19 infections:
http://makingitpaytostay.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/IMG_3571.jpg

I would like to point out a few cautions about lists similar to this that are circulating around the internet...

A COVID-19 infection comes in stages with its own particular crisis issues. Some of these herbs could actually make things WORSE especially during certain stages of illness.

For example, yarrow is great for fever, etc. but because it is also a powerful astringent, it could exacerbate the extremely thick mucus that is often found in the lungs during the early-middle stages of the illness, which causes the dreaded persistent dry cough that is typical of a COVID-19 infection.

Another astringent herb on that list, Red Raspberry, should not be given in this situation for the same reason.

That super-thick mucus needs to come out! ASAP! So cough suppressants are not encouraged, except only when a person needs to sleep.

Sometimes, a patient will have thick mucus in their lungs but not cough much, if at all. So the need to expel phlegm can be overlooked. Unfortunately, this contributes to a poorer prognosis.

Staying well hydrated goes a long way to help thin the secretions. There are herbs that will help break up the phlegm, such as licorice root, but it would not be advised for people who have certain conditions such as:

- a blockage of blood vessels in the retina of the eye
- high blood pressure
- coronary artery disease
- abnormal heart rhythm
- chronic heart failure
- liver problems
- kidney disease with a reduction in kidney function

So you see, some herbs are NOT a generic good-for-everyone kind of thing.

People, please, please do your own research before adopting any remedies in your treatment protocol. For example, if you know that a certain herb would be good for a particular phase in a disease, it would be a good idea to also Google the name of the herb along with whatever medical issues you have, or prescriptions you are taking. Some herbs do NOT play well with certain prescriptions or medical issues.

I am still in the process of putting the final touches on my own protocol. One of the criteria that I want to meet is that the herb must be readily available, which is a hard call. Some of the best herbs that I have considered for preventing and treating a COVID-19 infection have been used to successfully treat SARS and comes from...China, lol.

Good news: many of them can be grown here. So, I will be including that info as well. I am afraid that this disease will be with mankind forever until Armaggedon...so a long term plan is in order.

Last edited:

Grizzleyette___Adams

Hermit on the mountain
Neighbor
Someone on another forum asked,

Just learning that taking any NSAIDS can INCREASE the Cytokine Storm, and to NOT take any for reducing one's fever?!

Is this true?

Ibuprofen, in particular, is contraindicated in a COVID-19 infection.

According to several medical professionals, Tylenol or acetaminophen which is its generic equivalent may be a better choice.

Here is one of many reports which testify to that:

Anti-inflammatories may aggravate Covid-19, France advises

Anti-inflammatories may aggravate Covid-19...

French authorities have warned that widely used over-the-counter anti-inflammatory drugs may worsen the coronavirus.

The country’s health minister, Olivier Véran, who is a qualified doctor and neurologist, tweeted on Saturday: “The taking of anti-inflammatories [ibuprofen, cortisone … ] could be a factor in aggravating the infection. In case of fever, take paracetamol. If you are already taking anti-inflammatory drugs, ask your doctor’s advice.”

Health officials point out that anti-inflammatory drugs are known to be a risk for those with infectious illnesses because they tend to diminish the response of the body’s immune system.

The health ministry added that patients should choose paracetamol – which is known in the US by the generic name acetaminophen and commonly by the brand name Tylenol – because “it will reduce the fever without counterattacking the inflammation”.
That being said, I choose NOT to reduce fever, in most cases. Fever is your friend because it signals your body to respond to pathogenic invaders by producing antibodies and it jumpstarts many other lifesaving processes.

However, extremely high and prolonged fever is concerning, and if I needed to reign it in, I would choose generic acetaminophen or Tylenol (otherwise known as paracetamol to our European friends) if I didn't have access to my favorite herbal fever reducers. The herbs that I have chosen to combat fever if I come down with a COVID-19 infection include any one or combination of the following:

Goldenrod leaves and flowers (Solidago spp.) Especially good when the disease has exhausted the body and when kidney problems are presented because it is too weak to process uric acid and other buildups of waste material

Catnip herb (Nepata cataria) & Lemon Balm (Melissa officinalis) Excellent for children, and will produce free perspiration without raising internal heat and is calming. Do NOT use Catnip in pregnancy.

I removed White Willow bark from my list because it is a precursor to salicylic acid which is an NSAID. I am waiting to see if multiple sources determine that NSAIDS
should not be used for Covid-19.

Elderflowers (Sambucus nigra)

I like to add Peppermint (Mentha piperita) along with any of these herbs to enhance their effects and because it is also an anti-inflammatory, immunomodulatory, and mild fever reducer.

Boneset (Eupatorium perfoliatum) is a classic fever reducer, and it was successfully used for the “Spanish Flu” in 1918. But I am still researching it for use in COVID-19 infections because I am concerned about its immune-stimulant properties and possible cytokine storm reactions. I am looking for solid evidence that it may also be an immunomodulator.

I may use it after the crisis has passed if I am dealing with chronic fatigue and intermittent fever.

Note: Boneset will make you sweat like a hog! I like to drink this just before going into my sweat lodge. If you are allergic to chamomile, ragwort, etc. stay away from this plant.

Last edited:

Grizzleyette___Adams

Hermit on the mountain
Neighbor
You are our go-to guru on this subject. Thank you for sharing. What are your thoughts on processed elderberry? Sambucol et al? Are they worth it? Will they have the same medicinal properties? If not what do you recommend? Is there something better in a Health Food store?
I prefer making my own and will be posting my recipe and techniques soon.

I have tried several name brands of storebought elderberry and have found that some just don't work well! Their processing must be different?

My all-time favorite brands that have been personally tested and proven to work on cold and flu viruses:

Sambucol brand

Nature's Way brand

Get the 100% pure elderberry, original formula, NOT "for kids" or "immune formula" or any other "enhanced" or modified formulas.

Grizzleyette___Adams

Hermit on the mountain
Neighbor
@Grizzleyette___Adams , @Peanut , all

Do you have any good sources for herbs? @Peanut, I'd love to know where you get your Cinnamomum zeylanicum.

My favorite source is the woods, but for plants that don't grow in my area:

and I have not tried this one, but know others who like this source:

For seeds, I go to Home <---- (the forum software changed strictlymedicinalseeds dot com to this), and also trusted Etsy.com vendors (look at their ratings to see which ones really stand out).

This forum's software is driving me nutz... it modifies links in unintended ways. Oh, well... I didn't do it, lol.

Last edited:

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I saw goldenrod just starting to come up yesterday. In another week I'll have all the leaves I need for a simple tincture. My catnip is about 8 inches tall, ready to harvest.

I've stopped at 5 places this week... no lemon balm plants anywhere but one lady promised to email me the moment they get some in.

If anyone is looking for lemon balm plants they'll be with the kitchen spice plants like sage, oregano, thyme and lavender. Both WM and lowes usually have lemon balm plants.

Group Builder