Amazed

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The strip style headlamps are great!! And back to the unprepared seniors......a couple I know (in their 80's) were "out for a drive" before the storms hit the other day. They got stuck in the storms, pulled over on a side street because the wind and rain were so bad! Lightning hit their car and it blew the windows out!! They were ok except covered in glass and minor cuts. A person in a house on the street they were parked on saw the whole thing and drove them to the hospital!!

Have you ever used the strip style headlamp? Even once, to work on something?
No. I have purchased enough non-tilting headlamps to have learned that they do not work for me for up close work. I do not need to buy another one to re-confirm what I have already confirmed. Maybe it's my sloping Neanderthal forehead.

I use my non-tilting ones for outside - walks and stuff. They are great for that. And I am considering buying one of these strip type for that use. But if I was only going to have one headlamp, it would not be the strip type. Because of bifocals. That's all I was trying to point out - if someone here is considering buying their first headlamp, and they wear bifocals, this might be something they'd want to consider when deciding what to purchase. I'm already at war with the anti-vaxxers and the vegans, I didn't mean to start a new war with the strip-lighters. The Neanderthals are probably going to be coming after me now as well. 🙃

No. I have purchased enough non-tilting headlamps to have learned that they do not work for me for up close work. I do not need to buy another one to re-confirm what I have already confirmed. Maybe it's my sloping Neanderthal forehead.

I use my non-tilting ones for outside - walks and stuff. They are great for that. And I am considering buying one of these strip type for that use. But if I was only going to have one headlamp, it would not be the strip type. Because of bifocals. That's all I was trying to point out - if someone here is considering buying their first headlamp, and they wear bifocals, this might be something they'd want to consider when deciding what to purchase. I'm already at war with the anti-vaxxers and the vegans, I didn't mean to start a new war with the strip-lighters. The Neanderthals are probably going to be coming after me now as well. 🙃
I wear bifocals, and have since I was five. After you buy the headlamp, and try to work with it, then you can speak knowledgeably.

I wear bifocals, and have since I was five. After you buy the headlamp, and try to work with it, then you can speak knowledgeably.
I already have probably a dozen or more headlamps, so most likely I will pass on buying another. I have considered buying more, but probably my financially conservative nature will keep me from doing that, even though they're dirt cheap. I do not aspire to be a headlamp collector and reviewer (although the collector part has a good start thus far). I will let you be the one to speak knowledgeably on non-tilt headlamps. And maybe I can speak theoretically based on my personal experiences? Does that work? ;)

... non-tilting headlamps to have learned that they do not work for me for up close work. ...Maybe it's my ..Neanderthal forehead.
If you like O-Lights, the 'Perun' is a good one, for 'near 180˚ vertical adjustment'... ie: https://www.ebay.com/itm/393471179941 ..IMO, it's "ok" - Good brightness, Good batt-life / quick to recharge, etc but the Headbands tend to lose elasticity quickly. :( Also good, because it's Very compact.. 👍

If you Dont like the 'Mag-charger' style / non-replaceable Batt, the 'WowTac' A25 is Also a solid choice (same 180˚ adjustability, Very Bright, really Good, even 'light field', Much better headband, etc, and while it comes with a 'unique' 18650 (build-in charger / charging port / status-LED - which could be a downside, if it ever fries / you lose it, etc) it Can use 'standard 18650s..

..and 4 out of 5 Neanderthals (the Smart ones who Use headlamps) Recommend. ;)

Fwiw..
jd

I already have probably a dozen or more headlamps, so most likely I will pass on buying another. I have considered buying more, but probably my financially conservative nature will keep me from doing that, even though they're dirt cheap. I do not aspire to be a headlamp collector and reviewer (although the collector part has a good start thus far). I will let you be the one to speak knowledgeably on non-tilt headlamps. And maybe I can speak theoretically based on my personal experiences? Does that work? ;)
That works well. I thought you said that you had never used a strip headlamp but were planning on buying one. My bad.

I thought you said that you had never used a strip headlamp but were planning on buying one.
Close. I have never used a strip light (mounted on my head that is), and I and considering (not necessarily planning) on buying one. I probably won't though, because I have so many other headlamps, both tilt and non-tilt, several of which are never used anymore. I am sad to admit that my illumination needs are pretty much all covered at this point, and that means I probably shouldn't buy any more. When one already has the 1000 lumen tactical light - and never, ever use it on high - there's not a whole lot of justification to go out and buy the new upgraded 1200 lumen model. ☹️

I see flashlights were mentioned here. Hubby and I just moved to 7.5 acres and tonight we let our dogs out and within minutes, we heard an unfamiliar bark and my dog came in with a gash on her inner left thigh. We are at the emergency vet and she’ll be getting stitches. We went out looking for a stray dog but discovered we dint have a very strong flashlight. Any recommendations?

I see flashlights were mentioned here. Hubby and I just moved to 7.5 acres and tonight we let our dogs out and within minutes, we heard an unfamiliar bark and my dog came in with a gash on her inner left thigh. We are at the emergency vet and she’ll be getting stitches. We went out looking for a stray dog but discovered we dint have a very strong flashlight. Any recommendations?
My #1 soapbox is that everyone should have at least one, powerful headlamp.
I have a dozen of these, I am never without one, its the first thing I put on when I get out of bed, the last thing I take off (I'm an EMT/firefighter) I use hours per day.

This is the kind I like. Probably not the best, and after a few years the plastic clips break, but they have a lot of light, and are rechargeable, and cheap.

This is my one absolute, indispensable tool.

No matter what kind you get, I wouldn't waste time with any that aren't based on 18650 batteries. Those little ones that use AAA's are just not in the same league.

https://www.amazon.com/Headlamp-Rec...adlamp&qid=1680768225&sprefix=,aps,157&sr=8-5
I should also note, I have something they are calling "Phase Shift Disorder" which means I'm essential nocturnal so I use headlamps a lot, often 8 hours a day (night)

Last edited:
we dint have a very strong flashlight. Any recommendations?
My personal choice for this is a Nitecore P10:

https://www.nitecorestore.com/Nitecore-P10v2-Tactical-Flashlight-p/fl-nite-p10v2.htm
Pretty powerful light output, but you can still slip it into a pocket. I have the older, original P10 - now discontinued. They have replaced it with the P10 V2, which has even better light output. This is not an expensive flashlight (as high quality flashlights go). About $55. But realize that you will probably tire of using the two CR123 batteries it can use, because they will get expensive over time. Instead, you will probably want to get an 18650 rechargeable battery. Depending on capacity, this battery (the flashlight only needs one) will cost you between $15 and $20 probably. I haven't bought one in a long time - they last for many many years - so I don't know the current prices. And you will need to buy a charger that will do rechargeable Li-Ion batteries. Another $20 to $30 there. So realistically, you're looking at more like $100 total to get this flashlight plus rechargeable battery setup. When it comes to rechargeable Li-Ion battery setups, you can either get an quality (and expensive) battery and a cheap charger, or a cheap battery and a quality (expensive) charger. Going cheap on both is not a good idea (fire hazard!) I go expensive on both for double protection, and it doesn't cost all that much more. If I had to pick only one to go expensive on, it would be the battery. One that has built in protection circuitry. Rechargeable Li-Ion batteries can become fire hazards during either charging or discharging. With the protection circuity built into the battery, you are protected for both cases. With a high end charger, you are protected for only one case. But really, it you stick with a good name battery, they all have protection circuitry in them. Just stay away from that "Ching Dow Super Bad! special-for-you! 18650 style Battery" that costs $3.95.

For a smaller EDC light that still has reasonable light output, I like the Fenix PD25:

https://www.fenixlighting.com/products/pd25-fenix-flashlight?_pos=1&_sid=149e4ae32&_ss=r
You can buy the rechargeable Li-Ion battery for it that has a built in charging port (built in to the battery itself) so all's you need to charge it is a standard charger like you'd use for your cell phone. This will charge slower than a dedicated higher end charger, but it works just fine if you're not in a hurry (charge it while you're sitting at your desk next to it for several hours). BTW, you can also get 18650 batteries with the charging port built into the battery for the Nitecore flashlight I mentioned above. But charging an 18650 via one of these built in ports will take quite a long time.

It really depends on if you want "really good" light output at an expensive, but still somewhat reasonable price - or if you want "mega" light output. You can buy mega lights, but those will cost you well over $100 for the flashlight alone (appropriate batteries are extra cost).

You can also buy perfectly serviceable flashlights at Costco. Made by Duracell and other manufactures you have probably already heard of, just not necessarily regarding flashlights. Sure, they are larger and clunkier. They probably use C-cell alkalines rather than the more exotic Li-Ion batteries. They are heavier. Not quite as nicely made as the flashlights from dedicated flashlight-only companies. But some of these are really bright too. They will get the job done, easily, most all the time. And it's not like they're fall-apart cheap. They are decently sturdy. You're just not going to be slipping one into your pocket while walking at night, to be forgotten until you need it. You'll be carrying it in your hand probably.

Sooooo ... do you just want a workable everyday flashlight, or do you want to start your journey down the path to become a flash-a-holic???!!! 🤔

Last edited:
Just stay away from that "Ching Dow Super Bad! special-for-you! 18650 style Battery" that costs $3.95.

They've always worked for me. I mean, your not wrong in principle, but you don't have to spend that much money for lumens.

Of course, the bulk of my 18650 stockpile is from failed dewalt battery packs. When the pack fails, its usually just one cell that went bad, so you can rip them apart and get a handful of high quality Samsung batteries out of them.

I think this is the one I use the most. It throws a wide beam, is great for walking a trail, or working on something like an engine. Were I looking for tracks in the dark this would be on my head. I don't care for the tail light feature but I'll live with it because it is rechargeable. I use this nightly walking my dog. If I forget to turn it on she stops and tells me to. I think she is afraid of the dark.
https://www.amazon.com/1500Lumen-Re...amps+for+adults+rechargeable+,aps,200&sr=8-40
Along with that I'd want a very bright handheld with an extreme throw.

I bought these for my car. They can be charged via the cig lighter outlet in the car or solar charged. I have it tucked right next to the seat by the door so if I ever have to cut the seatbelt or break the window I have the tool for the job right there. I don't think I've ever used the light yet. I bought them for the kids for gifts as well.
As a bounus you could also charge your phone with the solar charge if you wanted to.

1680869364681.png

My Nitecore I4000r (NITECORE i4000R 4400 Lumen Rechargeable Tactical Flashlight) has a great user interface and four brightness levels. The highest puts out 4400 lumen. It's more of a flood light, so it doesn't have a super far throw. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be manufactured anymore. But Nitecore almost certainly has a replacement.

Another great light that's smaller is my Olight Perun 2 (Perun 2 Headlamp 2500 Lumens for Camping Fishing - Olight Store) that can produce up to 2500 lumen. It's designed as a headlamp.

Both lights have been extremely solid and reliable, and you can recharge the batteries from the light itself (built-in USB port).

Latest posts

Back