America 1950 vs. America 2020

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where I grew up (in the 50's and 60's) I was never exposed to racism. My mom and the other women in the neighborhood mostly let their husbands handle the business end of living except for the widows. There was a stigma associated with divorcees. I had friends that were asian and black (back then they were called negroes) as that was the preference. We just used first names and the shade of their skin didn't matter.
I wasn't exposed to prejudice until later in life and it was against me.

I grew up in the 50s. It was not wonderful. Racism was rampant. There were signs on city limit signs that said " n+++++, don't let the sun set on you here". Women were controlled to the point they could not own property. A man could legally force his wife to have sex. All sex except "missionary position" was illegal. It was a crime to be gay. We had atom bomb drills almost daily in school. I would not want to go back to those days.

Sounds like you grew up in Victimhoodville! I grew up in the deep south and none of that happened around Atlanta or Stone Mountain unless negative change came along,then it could get sticky.
If it was so bad and so prejudice,men raping and abusing their wives and lynchings, racist street signs then why wasn't there a beeline express to the liberal north?
My anceters came across thousands of miles of ocean to escape serfdom [ who at least 1/4 didn't survive the trip] . yet all these persecuted " colored people,thats what they wanted to be called back then' couldn't take a train,bus or automobile a few hundred miles up north to the lliberal promised land where minority gangs were setting up in droves and killing looting ?
We grew up with black workers who cared for us 1 white women and 2 black women one of the black womans husband did odd jobs for us he built a cabin for us on our lake while his wife cared for us part time during the week who i cared so much about mama had to let her go because I would cry till she came back on Monday.We played with their kids who came with the father to work on weekends. He also had a great job at Lays Potato Chips in Atlants. He would bring us little potato chip trucks made from cardboard.They like most Americans were getting up extra money to send theri kids to college.The same kind of college that graduated hreat doctors liek Ben Carson, Alan Keyes [ who was the last person I voted for president or otherwise ] . and Allen West . What few KKK there were didn't have that great an impact like the liar libs say. Too bad people aren't more concerned sbout the blacks killing each other and others now instead of half truths and lies about the past.
Now it ll about how evil the white man is from Antifa,BLM, and even so called conservatives who want to feel bad about their country, peopel and morals.
He also charged more money than the white contractors to build the cabin but mama liked his work and we all loved his wife.

I grew up in the 40s and early 50s in rural Vermont. It was a good time in a good place after mid 1945, when my brothers came home.

If you could go back to 1950, would you do it? There would be no Internet, no cellphones
ir
and you would only be able to watch television
ir
in black and white. But even though they lacked many of our modern conveniences, people genuinely seemed to be much happier back then. Families actually ate dinner together, neighbors knew and cared about one another, and being an “American” truly meant something.
https://sonsoflibertymedia.com/america-1950-vs-america-2020/
With all the problems I've had with computers, not to mention loosing my Yahoo email, I have been considering writing letters again. Pretty bad when you have to go through Amazon to get a battery automatic water filler because a major brand battery dealer no longer handles them, I wouldn't complain normally but our solar battery storage system has 60 cells to keep topped off. I finally got a gmail email account and ordered it from Amazon. I miss the old hardware stores that had almost anything I needed, even the drug stores had sulfur, saltpeter and charcoal on their shelves, that where I got the stuff to make black powder back when I was a teenager, now days those simple chemicals would be considered terrorist bomb materials. I don't look at those days through rose colored glasses, but I have to say that in many ways they were simpler times, far less stressful at least to me, maybe some of that is because that was also the beginnings of Rock'n'Roll when a person could understand what the singers were saying.

Forgot to mention, my grandmother still had a crank phone, wood cook stove with water coils in the firebox to heat a big galvanized tank in back of it for hot water for bathing and cleaning, in the 1950's, also I remember my dad renting fishing boats that were run by Briggs and Stratton engines, those boats were either put into the water by a dolly on rails or a lift on a dock. I kind of miss some of the things from those days, even though not all was good.

Sounds like you grew up in Victimhoodville! I grew up in the deep south and none of that happened around Atlanta or Stone Mountain unless negative change came along,then it could get sticky.
If it was so bad and so prejudice,men raping and abusing their wives and lynchings, racist street signs then why wasn't there a beeline express to the liberal north?
My anceters came across thousands of miles of ocean to escape serfdom [ who at least 1/4 didn't survive the trip] . yet all these persecuted " colored people,thats what they wanted to be called back then' couldn't take a train,bus or automobile a few hundred miles up north to the lliberal promised land where minority gangs were setting up in droves and killing looting ?
We grew up with black workers who cared for us 1 white women and 2 black women one of the black womans husband did odd jobs for us he built a cabin for us on our lake while his wife cared for us part time during the week who i cared so much about mama had to let her go because I would cry till she came back on Monday.We played with their kids who came with the father to work on weekends. He also had a great job at Lays Potato Chips in Atlants. He would bring us little potato chip trucks made from cardboard.They like most Americans were getting up extra money to send theri kids to college.The same kind of college that graduated hreat doctors liek Ben Carson, Alan Keyes [ who was the last person I voted for president or otherwise ] . and Allen West . What few KKK there were didn't have that great an impact like the liar libs say. Too bad people aren't more concerned sbout the blacks killing each other and others now instead of half truths and lies about the past.
Now it ll about how evil the white man is from Antifa,BLM, and even so called conservatives who want to feel bad about their country, peopel and morals.
He also charged more money than the white contractors to build the cabin but mama liked his work and we all loved his wife.
You must have lived a sheltered life, or you don't remember what it was really like.

I grew up in the 40s and early 50s in rural Vermont. It was a good time in a good place after mid 1945, when my brothers came home.

That was a terrible war we lost many good American men and allies.
You must have lived a sheltered life, or you don't remember what it was really like.
I'm watching Mutany On The Bounty on YT for $2.99 have you ever seen the movie? It is only one example of the sheltered life men and women had under strict orders that SLAVED to creat a better life for mankind and use to protect that creation from anyone who attempted to destroy it, but now it is all being destroyed by rotessory chicken eating fools. :peace:

IS IT 'SKINLESS,

I grew up as an Air Force brat and did know prejudices until I saw it with my buddy who was an American Indian (Duluth MN)

The next time was years later in NJ when my best friends father did not aprove of a white boy (me) taking an interest in his daughter.

Ben

Back