American made stuff...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patchouli

Gatekeeper
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Do you try to be selective in purchasing items, as much as possible, that are made in America?
Did you forget to care about that?
Does it bother you to buy stuff from communist countries or countries that you think are basically running a slave trade to produce the items? ETC.
My dad is the one who started me thinking about that kind of stuff and I have never forgotten.

It seems impossible to find stuff in stores that is made in USA or it is all made in ROC (peoples republic of china).
Do you tend to steer away from purchasing foreign made items as much as possible?
Do you prefer to get stuff you need from yard sales, etc.?
It is possible to shop around and find American made stuff, online, select stores, and flea markets, etc., but not the easiest thing.
I know I'm dealing with some patriotic folks here, so even if you're not American or living in USA, please chime in.
Has someone already mentioned this?

Pretty hard for me over here...

Anything made in the USA is waaaaaaaay out of my budget.
Stateside I do try, and if I cant I try and keep my business as local as possible just because we are in a small town so its good to keep the money in that area.
Im already a VIP member at the local sporting goods store and Ace hardware, since it seemed like every day I was running over there for one thing or another...

Last edited:
I remember when most of our electronics came from Japan, it was better quality than what we get from China.
Side note: One year when we went to our local Memorial Day parade, taking dad with us, he got so ticked. One of the pickup trucks which was playing an important role in the parade, was a Japanese brand truck. Dad was livid. (Think WW2).

I think there's a "buy local day" on the Saturday after black Friday.
Do you participate in black Friday sales? I think I've done it twice. Crazy people.

I remember when most of our electronics came from Japan, it was better quality than what we get from China.
Side note: One year when we went to our local Memorial Day parade, taking dad with us, he got so ticked. One of the pickup trucks which was playing an important role in the parade, was a Japanese brand truck. Dad was livid. (Think WW2).

I think there's a "buy local day" on the Saturday after black Friday.
Do you participate in black Friday sales? I think I've done it twice. Crazy people.

In the mid 1960s we were at the drive in theatre and the boys car had a nazi type cross on it. The kid wasn't a nazi and had no idea what the symbol meant.
A cop came up to the car and told him to remove it that a lot of WW 11 vets were there and one had complained and cop was afraid somebody would hurt the kid.Also gave us a little history lesson, very nice cop.
Yet it was that generation that dropped the ball by allowing their kids to be indoctrinated in universities. I can understand the war torn men but where were the wives and mothers?
Guess too busy smoking Virginia Slims . :D

We buy American when we can or when I want to, but looking at the labels does not really tell you where it's made. You have to investigate the product to be sure. If it was partially assembled here you can put the Made in America tag on it, if it was assembled elsewhere using some percentage of American parts you can as well. There are lots of grey areas. Plus there are very few consumer groups that actually watch these tags to make sure "Made in America" really means it is.

Alternatively you can just shop here: https://www.madeinamericastore.com/

Latest posts

Back