• Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living.
    We are glad you came to visit.
    Ads in your way? Register/login and read with less ads, or ask how to get rid of them.

America's food supply

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

Bacpacker

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Ran across this article today and while I wasn't surprised, I hadn't thought of it in these terms. China is buying up the US meat production little by little. Pork in particular. Farming as well. And all part of their long term plan to dominate the world. Control the food and control the country. Plus it'll help them feed their own people, just eventually at our expense.

How China is buying up America's food supply

Supervisor42

Formerly known as Supervisor42
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Ran across this article today and while I wasn't surprised, I hadn't thought of it in these terms. China is buying up the US meat production little by little. Pork in particular. Farming as well. And all part of their long term plan to dominate the world. Control the food and control the country. Plus it'll help them feed their own people, just eventually at our expense.

How China is buying up America's food supply
I wouldn't worry too much about it.
America can completely halt exports of pork or any domestic produced commodity (or put tariffs on it so steep it would be cheaper to try to get it elsewhere) with the stroke of a pen regardless who owns the company.
This is one of the few things our government actually controls.
China bought the companies because they wanted to ensure enough production so they wouldn't be left with almost nothing.
We're nice.
We share.

Supervisor42

Formerly known as Supervisor42
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Oh, and when you hear DT talk about us collecting hundred$ of billion$ of dollar$ in tariffs from China, whatcha think he's talking about?
All of the Playstations we send them? Wireless service? Papa John's delivery?
...Or maybe tons of domestically produced commodities?
Someone is looking out for our best interests, and we are no longer getting screwed.

Spikedriver

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I'm not so worried about the supply. I'm more worried about the profits. Food production isn't exactly a high paid industry, and it's not like the Chinese are known for taking care of their workers. And China doesn't need to profit off of us any more they already do...

Amish Heart

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I was surprised at the increase in fast food prices. We hardly ever get it, but decided to treat the grandkids and me today...we were wiped out working on the shed. Ordered three #1's at Freddie's. Burger, fries, drink. And one burger happy meal for the little granddaughter. $44.29. Couldn't believe it. They were also out of chicken strips. So each basic adult meal was nearly $10. Beef prices went up.

Patchouli

Patriot
Neighbor
America is bought and Chinese government will be able to get whatever they want from us. I was talking about this very topic to my family yesterday, without having read any articles. I had been grocery shopping at wally world and there was no ground beef, not that I needed it. I bought a couple of steaks, which I haven't done in years. I shouldn't have, they were pretty expensive. It reminded me of the virus being rampant in the workers, was it really?, there is just too much deception to keep track of it all.
I do not understand why America's wealthy are not buying up meat production facilities, agriculture, farms, etc. Sometimes I think a buyer is put in position when an owner feels they have no choice and these places never even hit the sale market.

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I think people will be looking for a good alternative and that will ultimately lead to people being more self sustainable or looking toward our local farmers. We typically get our beef/pork from a local farmer and have a local processor package for us. Of coarse, you have to watch your local processors as some of them have a tendency to take their own cut. :rolleyes: Word of mouth is the best way to get a reputable butcher.

Anyways, now we have a couple of family members who have decided to raise their own meat.....pigs/cows/chickens, etc. Since schools were closed, they decided to go all-in and order a bunch of poultry and other livestock to give the kids something to do. Some even process (butcher and wrap) their own and do a darn good job of it too. At first, they made some mistakes, but I think they have it worked out now. One person told me last week that he bought a pig ready to butcher for 48 cents per pound. He said the month before the prices were way too high to even consider buying one, so the meat prices are in flux.

I think there's going to be some pain at first in switching from China to USA, but ultimatley it will make us all stronger. It will also spur competition right here in the USA, which is what made us the nation we are to begin with. Hopefully anti-trust laws will be enforced and smaller companies can swoop in and serve our citizens. We'll figure it out. We already did once. I think what's going on now will be a huge blessing in disguise. We have pretty much everything we need right here on American soil.🇺🇲

Last edited:

Sentry18

Hired Gun
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I think there's going to be some pain at first in switching from China to USA, but ultimatley it will make us all stronger. It will also spur competition right here in the USA, which is what made us the nation we are to begin with. Hopefully anti-trust laws will be enforced and smaller companies can swoop in and serve our citizens. We'll figure it out. We already did once. I think what's going on now will be a huge blessing in desguise. We have pretty much everything we need right here on American soil.
external-content.duckduckgo.com.gif

hiwall

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
About one third of our national debt is owned by foreign entities.

Are we shipping food aid to Africa because of the famine there caused by the locusts?

Latest posts