Amish hot water heater

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swing

Porch Lover
Staff member
Admin
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
This is posted from the same fellow about the outdoor oven/cooking.

This is the hot water heater.

upload_2018-7-24_13-49-15.png

This piece of equipment is our solution for domestic hot water. We keep it right outside the kitchen back door. It holds 55 gallons of water and we go through a full tank or two each day, and three on laundry day. We leave it outside for eight months of the year and bring it inside for the cold weather (we have a steel chimney to vent it) because you don't want to let water freeze in it and destroy it.

It takes surprisingly little wood to heat water to a boil (you don't have to make the water that hot and we usually don't) in summer, a bit more in winter.

We also use it for water bath canning—40-quart jars at a clip mows down the canning chore—and if we have a lot of maple syrup at one time (otherwise we just use baking pans on the wood cook stove).

In the last 15 or 20 years, there have been incredible advances in "off-grid" equipment and implements other than solar. Most people don't hear about them unless they attend Plain People (Amish, Mennonite, Quaker) auctions or find the family in each community that deals in this stuff.
And the advances in horse-drawn machinery are mind-bending.

No pumps. This is our domestic hot water (DHW). We use buckets. And gravity.

Yes, I think we paid about $750 for this 8 or so years ago.

It costs $50 to $100 per month for the electricity to make DHW. So for us, the cost/benefit is a no-brainer. I realize that you will not be giving up your water heater... so this is out of pocket. But *knowing* you will have hot water, clean clothes, hot food, heat in the home, etc... makes having this and a few other things worth it.

(Where he gave me okay to post this stuff.)

Of course. I don't have a cell phone to take photos. I get photos from our Meeting (church group). We all have the same stuff. I will post some more stuff and explanations soon.

BTW... we get thousands of visitors each year to our community. If you are ever in the middle of the country, a trip through Scottsville's Plain People community would be enlightening for those interested in what the people on this thread seem to be interested in.

Wonder if he makes laundry spinners, too. Those are hot items in Yoder, Kansas, but are ordered and not made there. There are a lot of inventive sellers in each community. An Amish guy in our farm area is now selling solar freezers, fridges, as well as the propane ones. My cousin just got a new fridge and was so excited!

We don't have one, but I know an Amish man in Yoder that sells them. Most of the old order Amish there do use propane, so many fridges and freezers are that. But solar is used a lot, too. Mostly to charge car batteries, then used with an inverter to run things electrical. Also small gas engines are used. That's how wash is done, gas engine and a wringer washer. I do like the laundry spinners, though. They are electric, about 3 feet high, hook up to an inverter and they spin the liquid out of the clothes instead of ruining dresses in the wringer. Wringers are real hard on ladies clothing. I'll be back down in a month. I'll ask my cousin for info. It's his cousin that sells the solar ones.

Latest posts

Back