• Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living.
    We are glad you came to visit.
    Ads in your way? Register/login and read with less ads, or ask how to get rid of them.

An Argument for the Mid-Size Revolver as a House Gun

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
https://www.usacarry.com/revolver-house-gun/

Exerpts:
What kind of home defense gun should grandma have?
Let’s take a quintessential example of the non-interested home defender: an elderly lady that lives alone. She wants something for protection in the home, and since you are the family gun person, she asks you to set her up.

“Ok, grandma, no problem, I have just the thing. Here is a Glock 17 for you.”

You force grandma to the range to shoot it, which she only does under protest, of course, and now the Glock 17 goes in the dresser drawer, never to see the light of day again unless there is a home invasion. So now our high capacity auto sits for years in the drawer, wholly forgotten about unless at some point there is an emergency.

So, if grandma needs her wonder-nine eight years after her one forced range visit, how are things going to play out?

Might it go bang for each shot?

It might.

Will it be nice for Grandma to have 17 rounds of cease-and-desist on tap?

You bet.

But what happens when grandma is under the stress of facing home invaders and grabs her combat handgun and upon firing the first round accidentally actuates the magazinerelease and dumps the magazine on the floor of the dark bedroom?

Think that can’t happen?

In every single competitive match I have participated in I see at least one or two participants inadvertently dump a magazine. Why? Because they are under competitive stress. And these guys are a lot better trained than your grandmother. If they do it under the pressure of a match, do you think Grandma might do that under the stress of a violent attack?

What happens when grandma, due to her trembling hands and complete lack of training, limp-wrists the auto and it does not feed the next round? I bet she is not so well versed in malfunction clearance. What happens if that auto, after eight years of complete neglect, is bone dry of lube, has some rust and a ton of lint debris, what happens when she pulls the trigger? This is where the mid-size revolver shines. The idea that revolvers are inherently more reliable than a good modern auto is a misnomer. Revolvers have their share of problems. However, revolvers are more immune to neglect. They are also more fool-proof in operation.

A revolver can sit in a drawer for twenty years and as long as it is reasonably dry odds are it is going to go bang. Probably for the entire cylinder. If a round or two fails, just pull the trigger again. No need to clear a malfunction. There is no reciprocating slide to be forced out of battery. There is no magazine latch or slide stop for an unskilled person to accidentally obstruct. The revolver is point and shoot. Granted, it is harder to shoot for most, especially novice shooters. But it will fire, and if the ammunition is not faulty, it will fire the whole cylinder.

Yes, there are only 6 or 7 rounds. 17 rounds would be better. But a gun that will go bang no matter what for 6 or 7 rounds is better than one that will go bang once before the magazine hits the floor. For you, the shooting enthusiast, the full-size auto is the way to go, unless you just prefer revolvers. But for grandma and the masses of un-interested home defenders? I think the mid-size revolver thrives in this role. New shooters typically do better with an auto as the heavy double action trigger of a revolver is challenging, but does better marksmanship mean much if the gun won’t fire due to the very real chance of user error?

There is one word of caution: for older and weaker people be sure that they can pull the trigger. An old person may lack the strength to the point that they have trouble with the heavier pull weight of the revolver. However, midsize revolvers are capable of better trigger action than most of the small frame guns, and if this is not an issue, I think the attributes of the mid-size wheel gun outweigh the negatives. The reality is the vast majority of instances in which a victim resists with a firearm they prevail, no matter the odds. Six for sure is better than one or none. For the untrained person, the gun that goes bang is better than the superior fighting gun that fails in their hands. Think about it. While it may no longer be the gun of choice for American law enforcement or concealed carriers, I think the mid-size revolver belongs in a lot of sock drawers.

I thought this was an interesting article. I'm not a gun expert (by any means) and I certainly can identify with Grandma in this scenario b/c I don't practice nearly as much as I know I should. I have semi-autos, but feel much more comfortable with revolvers. I think I want to add another one to my "sock drawer" and am considering another purchase. I would like one that I can wear while on the property and hiking that's not too big and bulky, although I don't really need to conceal it either. I'd likely wear it with a belt and holster of it's own. Anyone with suggestions on a specific mid sized revolver?

Sentry18

Hired Gun
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
If you are looking for steadfast reliability, reasonable price, reasonable effectiveness, and low recoil impulse I would recommend the Smith & Wesson Model 10. There are police surplus model 10's all over right now for good prices. Some of them even come with holsters. I have a couple, a heavy barrel and a skinny barrel. I love shooting them and they see far more range time than one would expect, being that I have a 4 drawer safe full of tacticool wonder guns. You can shoot +P ammo in them to enhance effectiveness and cheap target ammo to keep up your familiarity and skills.

M10.jpg

A more modern option that is lighter in weight but still just as capable is the the Ruger LCRx 3". They are an excellent pack gun and have really smooth triggers. They are a polymer steel hybrid but have a huge fan following and have proven to be very rugged and reliable. The big rubber grip absorbs recoil and can be replaced with a plethora of other options in different sizes and shapes. You can also replace the sights with fiber optic or even tritium (night) sights. They are also reasonably priced.

LCRx.jpg

Sentry18

Hired Gun
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
And just for the record, my Mom has a S&W Shield 380 EZ. Which replaced her S&W 638 revolver with large grip. I bought it for her, but she was the one was asked for it. The slide is very easy to rack, the mags are very easy to load, the recoil is minimal, she has 8 rounds on tap, can reload quickly, and modern .380 loads are far more effective than people claim. It took her a few range trips to get comfortable with it, but now she is quick and accurate.

380ez.jpg

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
https://www.usacarry.com/revolver-house-gun/

Exerpts:
What kind of home defense gun should grandma have?
Let’s take a quintessential example of the non-interested home defender: an elderly lady that lives alone. She wants something for protection in the home, and since you are the family gun person, she asks you to set her up.

“Ok, grandma, no problem, I have just the thing. Here is a Glock 17 for you.”

You force grandma to the range to shoot it, which she only does under protest, of course, and now the Glock 17 goes in the dresser drawer, never to see the light of day again unless there is a home invasion. So now our high capacity auto sits for years in the drawer, wholly forgotten about unless at some point there is an emergency.

So, if grandma needs her wonder-nine eight years after her one forced range visit, how are things going to play out?

Might it go bang for each shot?

It might.

Will it be nice for Grandma to have 17 rounds of cease-and-desist on tap?

You bet.

But what happens when grandma is under the stress of facing home invaders and grabs her combat handgun and upon firing the first round accidentally actuates the magazinerelease and dumps the magazine on the floor of the dark bedroom?

Think that can’t happen?

In every single competitive match I have participated in I see at least one or two participants inadvertently dump a magazine. Why? Because they are under competitive stress. And these guys are a lot better trained than your grandmother. If they do it under the pressure of a match, do you think Grandma might do that under the stress of a violent attack?

What happens when grandma, due to her trembling hands and complete lack of training, limp-wrists the auto and it does not feed the next round? I bet she is not so well versed in malfunction clearance. What happens if that auto, after eight years of complete neglect, is bone dry of lube, has some rust and a ton of lint debris, what happens when she pulls the trigger? This is where the mid-size revolver shines. The idea that revolvers are inherently more reliable than a good modern auto is a misnomer. Revolvers have their share of problems. However, revolvers are more immune to neglect. They are also more fool-proof in operation.

A revolver can sit in a drawer for twenty years and as long as it is reasonably dry odds are it is going to go bang. Probably for the entire cylinder. If a round or two fails, just pull the trigger again. No need to clear a malfunction. There is no reciprocating slide to be forced out of battery. There is no magazine latch or slide stop for an unskilled person to accidentally obstruct. The revolver is point and shoot. Granted, it is harder to shoot for most, especially novice shooters. But it will fire, and if the ammunition is not faulty, it will fire the whole cylinder.

Yes, there are only 6 or 7 rounds. 17 rounds would be better. But a gun that will go bang no matter what for 6 or 7 rounds is better than one that will go bang once before the magazine hits the floor. For you, the shooting enthusiast, the full-size auto is the way to go, unless you just prefer revolvers. But for grandma and the masses of un-interested home defenders? I think the mid-size revolver thrives in this role. New shooters typically do better with an auto as the heavy double action trigger of a revolver is challenging, but does better marksmanship mean much if the gun won’t fire due to the very real chance of user error?

There is one word of caution: for older and weaker people be sure that they can pull the trigger. An old person may lack the strength to the point that they have trouble with the heavier pull weight of the revolver. However, midsize revolvers are capable of better trigger action than most of the small frame guns, and if this is not an issue, I think the attributes of the mid-size wheel gun outweigh the negatives. The reality is the vast majority of instances in which a victim resists with a firearm they prevail, no matter the odds. Six for sure is better than one or none. For the untrained person, the gun that goes bang is better than the superior fighting gun that fails in their hands. Think about it. While it may no longer be the gun of choice for American law enforcement or concealed carriers, I think the mid-size revolver belongs in a lot of sock drawers.

I thought this was an interesting article. I'm not a gun expert (by any means) and I certainly can identify with Grandma in this scenario b/c I don't practice nearly as much as I know I should. I have semi-autos, but feel much more comfortable with revolvers. I think I want to add another one to my "sock drawer" and am considering another purchase. I would like one that I can wear while on the property and hiking that's not too big and bulky, although I don't really need to conceal it either. I'd likely wear it with a belt and holster of it's own. Anyone with suggestions on a specific mid sized revolver?
Us granymaws do need smaller easy to manage guns. Thats why I ask about a Derringer awhile back. I don'y like regular sized weapons now. Plussince my daughter scaried the heck out of me at firing range about 10 years ago I haven't fired one since.Ahe rund around and pointed at grndson accidently, not really pointed but I freaked out that she wasn't paying attention. I told them to go to a pro and learn how to use a firearm.

dademoss

Retired Scapegoat
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
For decades the "bump in the night" gun in the nightstand was a Taurus model 66 in .357. 6 or 7 years ago I got a Ruger GP100 in .357, with a tritium front sight which assumed the role of the previous model 66.

kd4ulw

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Many years ago I sold firearms at Bass Pro. One time a husband and wife came in who were older. The husband was saying that he wanted a pistol for his wife for self-defense. I could tell she did not know a lot about firearms, so I was pointing out the revolvers that we had in the case. He said that he wanted a semi automatic pistol for her and pointed at some of the bigger well-known brands. I took one of them out of the case, removed the trigger lock and show them that the gun was empty and handed it to her and told her to pull back the slide. She was unable to make any kind of movement on the slide. I’ll never forget the look on his face.

The nice thing about the new Smith & Wesson EZ is that it is a lot easier to rack the slide, but when you have someone that doesn’t know a lot about guns it makes it extremely difficult for them to know if the gun has a round that is actually chambered or not. There is a lot to be said for the simplicity of a revolver.

Caribou

Time traveler
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
The problem is that granny wants a little gun but doesn't know that little guns are harder to shoot. A .380 or a .38 would be a good choice. I got my cousin to get a 20 Ga. but even the recoil of that is more than she likes and since she lives on the other side of the continent I can't get her to the range so that she become comfortable. Getting them comfortable with firearms is as hard as firing out the best gun.

One gun sales lady would show up at the range with a customer and a couple dozen guns. She charged for the trip plus so much per round. I always thought that was a good idea. All the customers that I saw her bring I. were women.

The Lazy L

Old Cowpoke
Neighbor
...He said that he wanted a semi automatic pistol for her and pointed at some of the bigger well-known brands...
Too often the husband chooses the firearm he likes for the wife instead letting her choose!

Former coworker’s husband gave her a gift of a semi-auto. She doesn’t have the strength to rack the slide.

Amish Heart

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Revolvers are the best choice for older women who aren't regular shooters. I love revolvers anyway, and have a number of them.
Shooting at the range, I always bring my Smith 45 and then a number of revolvers. I really like my 45 revolver, uses clips, though. Enjoy my 38, too.

Spikedriver

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Revolvers are a good choice for anybody. They might not be the very best choice, but anyone who has a wheelgun loaded with good quality modern ammo is well armed. I choose autoloaders because I like slim guns, but any good revolver gets a thumbs up from me...

Morgan101

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I have always been a proponent of revolvers. Point and pull the trigger. If it doesn't go bang pull the trigger again. My wife can't rack a slide on any gun. Her hands are amazingly weak, but she can shoot a revolver. For her we have a nice little Taurus .22. Yeah, yeah, I know. Who out there wants to get shot with a .22? Any volunteers?

The Lazy L

Old Cowpoke
Neighbor
I have always been a proponent of revolvers. Point and pull the trigger. If it doesn't go bang pull the trigger again. My wife can't rack a slide on any gun. Her hands are amazingly weak, but she can shoot a revolver. For her we have a nice little Taurus .22. Yeah, yeah, I know. Who out there wants to get shot with a .22? Any volunteers?
A 22 is better then nothing!

Cascadian

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have not tried the Charter Arms Pathfinder but I like it. I think this might be a good carry gun for my wife. You can get it 22 mag and then send it in a to get a 22 cylinder fit. I was thinking the 22 for practice and 22 mag for defense. Anybody have any thoughts or experience in this area?

Capture.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:

Morgan101

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I have not tried the Charter Arms Pathfinder but I like it. I think this might be a good carry gun for my wife. You can get it 22 mag and then send it in a to get a 22 cylinder fit. I was thinking the 22 for practice and 22 mag for defense. Anybody have any thoughts or experience in this area?
I would highly recommend starting with a .22. They are light, have very little recoil. Ammo is inexpensive, so you can practice a lot. You will get an argument about stopping power, but for routine home defense a .22 can stop the fight.

Many of us probably started with a .22 and worked our way up. Let your wife decide what she wants to do. Make sure she is comfortable, and able to handle whichever firearm she wants. If she wants to stay with a .22 fine. She is comfortable. She will practice, and she will be proficient. All are critical.

Sentry18

Hired Gun
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Charter Arms makes an okay product, but they are a bit rough and tend to have very heavy triggers. Heavy triggers make guns safer from negligent discharges, but they require more hand strength to pull and negatively effect accuracy. If you decided to go that route make sure you dry fire it first and have her dry fire it second.

If rimfire is all your wife can handle then as Lazy said they are better than nothing, but they are grossly inadequate for self defense. Real world studies have repeatedly proven that .380-45 all get the job done with pretty much equal effectiveness. But the .22-.32 calibers fail to stop attackers far more often than they succeed. Besides recoil is controllable via multiple factors, not just caliber. An NAA mini revolver in .22LR has more recoil and muzzle flip IMO than target loads in an all steel .38 revolver. Size, weight, caliber, loading, etc. all come in to play.

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
If you are looking for steadfast reliability, reasonable price, reasonable effectiveness, and low recoil impulse I would recommend the Smith & Wesson Model 10. There are police surplus model 10's all over right now for good prices. Some of them even come with holsters. I have a couple, a heavy barrel and a skinny barrel. I love shooting them and they see far more range time than one would expect, being that I have a 4 drawer safe full of tacticool wonder guns. You can shoot +P ammo in them to enhance effectiveness and cheap target ammo to keep up your familiarity and skills.

View attachment 32414

A more modern option that is lighter in weight but still just as capable is the the Ruger LCRx 3". They are an excellent pack gun and have really smooth triggers. They are a polymer steel hybrid but have a huge fan following and have proven to be very rugged and reliable. The big rubber grip absorbs recoil and can be replaced with a plethora of other options in different sizes and shapes. You can also replace the sights with fiber optic or even tritium (night) sights. They are also reasonably priced.

View attachment 32416
I can't stop staring at the screen. I'm drooling on my keyboard!! I think this is what I'm looking for.

Revolvers are nice, but my recommendation for "granny" is a Browning or Beretta .380.

And then VJ has to go and post this...... Dang it man! I'm looking for a revolver.......you're making it hard to stay focused!!!:confused::p I LOVE Brownings!

VenomJockey

Ancient AH Pilot, Retired CWO W4.
Neighbor
I can't stop staring at the screen. I'm drooling on my keyboard!! I think this is what I'm looking for.

And then VJ has to go and post this...... Dang it man! I'm looking for a revolver.......you're making it hard to stay focused!!!:confused::p I LOVE Brownings!
Just thinking of Granny...she needs something with some stopping power, an adjustable trigger, and enough rounds to make up for her nervousness and lack of accuracy. I believe the .380 would be ideal for Granny (or anyone else, for that matter).....and I'm kinda partial to Brownings myself!

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Just thinking of Granny...she needs something with some stopping power, an adjustable trigger, and enough rounds to make up for her nervousness and lack of accuracy. I believe the .380 would be ideal for Granny (or anyone else, for that matter).....and I'm kinda partial to Brownings myself!
Charter Arms makes an okay product, but they are a bit rough and tend to have very heavy triggers. Heavy triggers make guns safer from negligent discharges, but they require more hand strength to pull and negatively effect accuracy. If you decided to go that route make sure you dry fire it first and have her dry fire it second.

If rimfire is all your wife can handle then as Lazy said they are better than nothing, but they are grossly inadequate for self defense. Real world studies have repeatedly proven that .380-45 all get the job done with pretty much equal effectiveness.
Revolvers are nice, but my recommendation for "granny" is a Browning or Beretta .380.

VenomJ that is a neat:cool: and pretty gun. This granny likes it.:Thankyou:

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter

If rimfire is all your wife can handle then as Lazy said they are better than nothing, but they are grossly inadequate for self defense. Real world studies have repeatedly proven that .380-45 all get the job done with pretty much equal effectiveness. But the .22-.32 calibers fail to stop attackers far more often than they succeed. Besides recoil is controllable via multiple factors, not just caliber. An NAA mini revolver in .22LR has more recoil and muzzle flip IMO than target loads in an all steel .38 revolver. Size, weight, caliber, loading, etc. all come in to play.
What do you think of VenomJ Browning ? How about a Browning Copy 9MM.FEG I had one but it is a little heavy now that I don't do as much wrist work,like shoevel,pulling weeds.

Sentry18

Hired Gun
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
What do you think of VenomJ Browning ? How about a Browning Copy 9MM.FEG I had one but it is a little heavy now that I don't do as much wrist work,like shoevel,pulling weeds.
The Brownings are reduced size 1911's. I am personally not a fan as they have numerous parts that are far more prone to failure than simpler designs. They also have a manual of arms that makes them more difficult to use under stress without extensive familiarization. They are a good option for a 1911 aficionado who wants something smaller for concealment purposes, but I would not recommend them for someones "grandma". Plus they are crazy expensive, especially for what you are getting. A base no-frills all black model will run you $600. The one VJ posted is a $900+ gun. You could buy a couple guns and a pile of ammo for that price.

The FEG PJK9HP is an excellent clone but is not without it's limitations. If you have it then I would say buy some ammo and practice. If you don't I would look at other options.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
The Brownings are reduced size 1911's. I am personally not a fan as they have numerous parts that are far more prone to failure than simpler designs. They also have a manual of arms that makes them more difficult to use under stress without extensive familiarization. They are a good option for a 1911 aficionado who wants something smaller for concealment purposes, but I would not recommend them for someones "grandma". Plus they are crazy expensive, especially for what you are getting. A base no-frills all black model will run you $600. The one VJ posted is a $900+ gun. You could buy a couple guns and a pile of ammo for that price.

The FEG PJK9HP is an excellent clone but is not without it's limitations. If you have it then I would say buy some ammo and practice. If you don't I would look at other options.
Its the one I use to practice with at range.had it about 20 years its the high powered B.copy. Never failed but a little heavy for me.Took gun safty course from Army S.F. Ranger vet and fired 100 rounds both fast and slow. Hubby likes 357 ruger,SP 101.

No way can we pay $900 for a gun but it did sound and look sweet. :Thankyou:

Last edited:

dademoss

Retired Scapegoat
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Browning 1911-380 is my favorite amoung my .380's. Downside is it doesn't drop into your pocket all that well, but it is a joy to shoot, unlike my LCP and NAA Guardian, and it's very expensive.

IMG_0492.jpeg

Last edited:

VThillman

Geezer
Neighbor

View attachment 32414

View attachment 32416
I own one of each (the 10-8 has a 3" barrel too). I like the LCRx3's grip for being a near-universal hand fit, otherwise it's a toss-up.

SheepDog

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
There are two rules when buying a gun for a woman:
1. Let HER pick it out.
If you pick it out she will never like it, rarely shoot it and hate you for being so manipulative.
2. Don't express your disapproval or approval of her choice.
If you disapprove she will hate you if you turn out to be right and will never let you live it down if you are wrong.
If you approve then she will mistrust her choice and over time hate it - even if she likes it.

It is best to take her to a "Women on Target" day at the range. Take a pen and tablet so she can write down the make and model of the guns she likes. Be prepared to stop at the gun store on the way home and have the cash to pay for her new gun(s).
The NRA "Women on Target" is a day that costs about $20 and you don't get to participate. It is for ladies only and there are 100s of guns to fondle and targets to shoot at. There are usually women trainers to help and if no the male trainers have the ability to help without advising one way or the other. This is truly a ladies day at the range. So bring your own toy and go play with the other boys.

SheepDog

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
You can check the NRA website or call your local ranges to see when the next one is. Most of the women are already out of their teens but there are usually a few daughter mother teams. People are always friendly and pretty soft spoken about anything until they find a gun the like. They are usually put on in the late spring or early summer months when the weather is most conducive.

Sentry18

Hired Gun
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Our city owned indoor range has a "Lady's Night" where they can shoot any rental gun for $1 and that includes one cylinder or mag of ammo. We have about 30 different handguns to choose from. The three most popular guns by a wide margin are the Ruger LC9S/EC9S 9mm, the S&W Shield 380 EZ, the Ruger LCR .38spl, and the Walther CCP M2 9mm. The Glock 43 and 43X were very popular for about 5-6 weeks and then suddenly weren't popular any more. Not on lady's night anyway.

VThillman

Geezer
Neighbor

Our city owned indoor range has a "Lady's Night" where they can shoot any rental gun for $1 and that includes one cylinder or mag of ammo. We have about 30 different handguns to choose from. The three most popular guns by a wide margin are the Ruger LC9S/EC9S 9mm, the S&W Shield 380 EZ, the Ruger LCR .38spl, and the Walther CCP M2 9mm. The Glock 43 and 43X were very popular for about 5-6 weeks and then suddenly weren't popular any more. Not on lady's night anyway.
Ladies who have been endowed by God with large hands (no, I am NOT saying 'ham-fisted') and a roomy purse or other appropriate means-of-carry might be interested in an LCR fitted with the stock grip from an LCRx3.

Caribou

Time traveler
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Check your local ranges, one or more will have a regularly scheduled ladies night. It may or may not be the NRA program but it will have competent lady instructors. They also do lots of fun things like full auto and turkey shoots to keep the ladies interested.

Group Builder