An Idea I just had - everyone knows something!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swing

Porch Lover
Staff member
Admin
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have been busy doing all sorts of things as I'm sure all of you are doing this time of year.

But, we've had some people want to post their expertise for all of us to learn from. Be it something most or few can agree is merit worthy.

I believe in all of you. I think each of you have a special something. Cooking, writing, water colors, horse riding, shooting, square dancing, etc. I may be something you're not doing so much now, but you did a lot in the past.

Or a special bit of information that if you had a special friend or family member you'd tell to make like better for them.

I invite all of you to post about such, one or as many times as you can think of things.

I'll start off:
I have about 26 years of working with government subcontractor purchase orders, so I'm use to reading those confounded documents. From 2015 - 2019, my Dad had a lot of health problems and I ended up being the one that took him to a wide variety of docs. 2016 or 2017 I was with him on 104 doc appts and 4 hospital stays.
What I learned and what my background helped with was keeping up with all those doc appts, summary sheets, filling out forms for MRI, CATscans, etc. Cancer docs, Neurologist, VA docs, etc. And non of them talk to each other. (I'm sure many of you have experienced this).

I bought a 2.5 inch loose leaf binder and about 100 sheet protectors, and kept some blank paper in it for notes. I had that book with me wherever we ended up. I took notes, the docs talked to me more than Dad as I was taking notes, and Dad would point them to me so he would not have to remember. That book was so valuable, and I still have it. It could show doc appt #2 that they did not need to draw blood, as doc #1 of the week just did it, and they could get the results.

Or the biggest one was when the cardiologist prescribed Dad having his bad teeth out before they could do a heart valve transplant. Well dentist are not normally covered under medical insurance. (Medicare and supplemental). Heart problems are covered. The teeth came out, (another whole story), and then about 3 weeks later the heart valve was replaced and he did good.

BUT, then the dreaded after procedure paperwork. The hospital and doctor bills that since dental the insurances would not cover. The bill from hospital was $17,000. I had to go to financial at hospital and show them that Mom and Dad didn't have the funds unless they wanted about $25 a month on the bill until they passed away. And I showed them that this was a heart issue, and not a dental issue. And I showed that to insurance by mail.

Bottom line, was that book with all the documents saved Mom and Dad $17,000. The hospital wrote it off.

And also, after than the doctors would flip through my book when they would see him in hospital so they could get background more completely than just the notes they had.

I HIGHLY recommend the book if you have any major medical going on, or if you have someone you are helping.

(not what is the best sugar cookie recipe? or do you knit, spin, weave? change a carbonator on a tractor , build drag race cars in the past? Tell us.)

I have a designated briefcase for medical stuff "Only". There is a separate file folder for each of my defective body parts. They always ask questions, that I can't answer, but the answer is all in the proper file folder.

@Angie, I have thought that each human being could have a notebook of their health from pregnancy forward. My daughter was a preemie and there was so much to track for her. I tracked much of it on a calendar, but that was not detailed enough. I have often thought that there could be pages printed out for things such as eye care, dental care, other issues, where dates of visits and concerns are written concisely. Yes medical records could be kept for those as well, but a timeline for certain health concerns could also be helpful.

I have been trying to get medical stuff organized but I'm years late to the task.
Every doctor visit needs the same information.
What medications do you take, when, and how often.
List all surgeries. What was the cause of death for your parents. What is your family medical history. The list goes on forever.
Right now there is a stack of forms I have to fill out so I can get a tooth pulled.
It would be much easier to have all of that information readily available. But like I said I am starting late and memories fade over time as to when something was done.
My medical history is pretty easy but my Wife is a completely different story.
She's had so many surgeries and medical procedures there is no way we can remember all of them but we're trying.

@Angie
Did you mean not or now?
(not what is the best sugar cookie recipe? or do you knit, spin, weave? change a carbonator on a tractor , build drag race cars in the past? Tell us.)

Well this is short, but has served me well. When I was a youngster in federal service I had a mentor of sorts. He told me "no one cares more about your stuff than you. Believe me if you don't care no one else does either." This was in reference to if you have a promotion, pay raise or something coming up let your supervisor know so they can get ahead of it with the paperwork. This little lesson translates to many other things in life. If you don't make sure your stuff doesn't fall through the cracks it is likely no one else will either. I have passed this little bit of wisdom on to many youngsters in my lifetime.

Latest posts

Back