An impressive ham shack

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haertig

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Scroll down the page (past the family pics) and take a look at this guy's ham shack and antenna farm. How many millions did it cost him to build such a setup???

KC4NX Callsign Page

By way of contrast, here's a picture of my ham shack šŸ˜¢

MyHamShack.jpg

[edit]
Oh, wait! I left out half of my equipment! Now I feel so much better about my setup! :thumbs:

MyHamShack2.jpg

[/edit]

Last edited:
Yes, he put a lot of time and money into that. The understatement of the decade is when he says about his ham shack ā€œoverall Iā€™m happy with it.ā€

While I will never have anything close to that, I am thankful for a very modest set up and being able to contact those far away stations on HF.

070BD4BA-4737-45BA-8741-9F0509851D37.jpeg
8DC98753-856C-49E3-8B2E-577A9A330B99.jpg
A6B53276-58B0-42A4-AEB3-873E9D09D9DE.jpeg

Scroll down the page (past the family pics) and take a look at this guy's ham shack and antenna farm. How many millions did it cost him to build such a setup???

KC4NX Callsign Page

By way of contrast, here's a picture of my ham shack šŸ˜¢

View attachment 48363

Quite the set up he has. Not a million bucks, but easily $100-200k. He did his grounding and lightning protection right too.
I don't know him, but do know several of the guys he showed working on the tower, coax, and the club tower. Quite a few of the guys in my EmComm group was members in SMARC. They've been around since just after WWII.

I think it would have been easier and cheaper just to buy an old cell tower and build his home next to it.
The info on lightning protection will be helpful to me that is the reason why I have not set up my shack yet. The flashy monster hits around us every storm and there is a lot of iron in the soil, it tends to travel a ways here after it hits.

What, no mini-fridge stocked with beer? The guy's clearly not thinking this out completely.

(Holy cats, that's an amazing setup. It's far, far more than I would ever want. For now, I'm content with the few radios and modest antennas I have.)

I think it would have been easier and cheaper just to buy an old cell tower and build his home next to it.
The info on lightning protection will be helpful to me that is the reason why I have not set up my shack yet. The flashy monster hits around us every storm and there is a lot of iron in the soil, it tends to travel a ways here after it hits.

Pay Very close attention to his lighting protection. We used some similar protection on the tower and antenna installation we just did at work. The guy knows i his stuff.
He also is involved in many different things ham related. Most hams are specific with 2-3 modes and bands. It seems he does them all. He didn't mention any digital modes, but some of his equipment appeared to be useful for digital work. While he bought a lot of stuff, coax, connectors, and such used. Most of his radio gear is newer and top of the line.
Way more than I'd ever want or use. But it would be fun to spend some time in his shack. I do like how he layed out the basement for access to do repair, or make changes.

Latest posts

Back