Ancient Tree

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkhound

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
look at this fossilized tree.very interesting.my 2cents here ..going on this one picture.look at the but end of this tree. you can see its 'flattened' and it ends at a very squared off point. also look at up part way in that section it looks almost like a crosscut of some type...where people cutting this section off? the flattened part was probably people riving off sections to use as boards like natives did up PNW coast did and built plank houses.

we still do this around the globe today.only with more modern tools.

R1a89b6cc06e03bcbc776c2793fa62575

native americans use to peel a lot of cedar for baskets and whatever else they needed it for. i use to find very old trees where this was done and would go to great lengths to save these areas for others to see and get recorded in data base for future references. heres a tree peeled on the makah reservation.

R339af70d64796352532cc87682dd5da9

I was a professional timber cruiser on west side of cascades and the largest tree i ever cruised was a western red cedar that was 257 feet tall and diameter was either 117.127 or 137 inches across stump. its been a few years and diameter memory is fading but not the height.

i worked in an old burn area from 1840-60 and it was a solid stand of douglas fir.every tree was 60inches in that unit of timber. i seen much larger doug fir in my first year working and got to work on units of nothing but old growth forest but that was about the end of that as was given new direction on sales and much of old growth was off limits going forward. worked old growth in southeast alaska that was huge..sitka spruce was fantastic and hemlock was all 60% cull...hemlock was all awful.

When I was in High school I had a wonderful English teacher, so I took every class she taught.
One of them was "to write a poem" & we had to come up with some kind of back ground other than paper for a original poem, I used the bark of a crabapple tree & Indian Ink. I had to build a frame to dry the bark flat & write the poem, then spray a clear sealant on it. I got the ideal from Daniel Boone patching a bark canoe. Also I thought no one else will do this. Must have been okay, I got an A.

When I was in High school I had a wonderful English teacher, so I took every class she taught.
One of them was "to write a poem" & we had to come up with some kind of back ground other than paper for a original poem, I used the bark of a crabapple tree & Indian Ink. I had to build a frame to dry the bark flat & write the poem, then spray a clear sealant on it. I got the ideal from Daniel Boone patching a bark canoe. Also I thought no one else will do this. Must have been okay, I got an A.
Shoot...I had a wonderful English teacher too. She was just out of college, smokin' hot, and liked to wear tight skirts. Come to think of it, I'm not sure how great of a teacher she was, but Creative Writing was my favorite class...😉

Shoot...I had a wonderful English teacher too. She was just out of college, smokin' hot, and liked to wear tight skirts. Come to think of it, I'm not sure how great of a teacher she was, but Creative Writing was my favorite class...😉
That was my 7th grade math teacher, Mrs. Freemen, short blonde hair, blue eyes & it is a wonder I can count above ten.

That was my 7th grade math teacher, Mrs. Freemen, short blonde hair, blue eyes & it is a wonder I can count above ten.
5th grade math for me. Can't recall her name, but she was a student teacher at the local collage. SMOKIN HOT Long dark hair with eyes just as dark. All the guys in all the grades stared when she walked by.

still on subject...wood !....LOL

Last edited:
pulling cedar bark for baskets etc. today.

3e4e3ae5537b9a124bd01430c7dd20fe.jpg

Latest posts

Back