• Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living.
    We are glad you came to visit.
    Ads in your way? Register/login and read with less ads, or ask how to get rid of them.

And what do you do with the dead?

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

Haertig

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Yes, his life sentence has been served. Time to cremate or bury him. Go ahead.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/08/us/iowa-inmate-life-sentence-died-trnd/index.html
A convicted murderer who momentarily died says his life sentence has been served

Updated 6:27 PM ET, Fri November 8, 2019

Benjamin Schreiber was convicted of first-degree murder and sentenced to life in prison without parole.
(CNN)An Iowa inmate serving a life sentence says he should be a free man after he became ill, momentarily died, and had to be revived at the hospital. But the courts are having none of it.

Benjamin Schreiber was sentenced to life in prison without parole in 1997 after being convicted of first-degree murder. In March 2015, he developed large kidney stones that led to septic poisoning, according to court documents.
He eventually fell unconscious in his cell and was taken to a local hospital, where he was resuscitated five separate times, the documents say.

According to the Iowa Court of Appeals, Schreiber "claims he momentarily died at the hospital, thereby fulfilling his 'life' sentence ... Because his sentence has been fulfilled, he argues, he is imprisoned illegally and should be immediately released."
A district court previously denied Schreiber's motion. And on Wednesday, the Iowa Court of Appeals upheld the lower court's decision.
In its opinion, the appeals court said a "plain reading" of Iowa law says defendants guilty of a class A felony "must spend the rest of their natural life in prison, regardless of how long that period of time ends up being or any events occurring before the defendant's life ends."
"Schreiber is either alive, in which case he must remain in prison," Judge Amanda Potterfield wrote, "or he is dead, in which case this appeal is moot."
An attorney for Schreiber did not immediately respond to requests for comment Friday morning. It's unclear whether Schreiber plans to take the case to a higher court.

Sentry18

Hired Gun
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Convicts have a lot of time on their hands, access to legal books, and not much to think about but schemes, cons, and workarounds. Many of the unpleasant conditions in prisons are because inmates sued the facility and it backfired on them, making things worse.

lonewolf

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
was it a life sentence or a death sentence? if life then is it life? some life sentences in the UK can be as short as 12-15 years but most are longer.

Cnsper

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Rumor has it that when you sneeze, your heart will skip a beat. Since your heart theoretically stopped momentarily, should one just sneeze and get out?
Pass the pepper please

VThillman

Geezer
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Beside the point here, but I have never understood the logic of a life sentence; it's a copout. Either it's a capital offense, and and he gets time - say 5 years - to show that his guilt wasn't proven, or it isn't a capital offense, and the state gets 5 years to straighten him out - one way or another - and get back for his victims what can be recovered before turning him loose.

camo2460

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I don't believe in Life Sentences either, If you did something bad enough to be in Prison for the rest of your Life, you did something bad enough to be Hung. As for the Convict, put a Bullet in the Fools Head and be done with it.

Curmudgeon

Malinois' are awesome.
Neighbor
I don't believe in Life Sentences either, If you did something bad enough to be in Prison for the rest of your Life, you did something bad enough to be Hung. As for the Convict, put a Bullet in the Fools Head and be done with it.
Can't say I disagree with that!!

Patchouli

Patriot
Neighbor
I thought this was only if you were sentenced to death, you die, but then you come back to life however that might occur. Like being hung, which we don't do, then being pronounced dead, unstrung, and then breathing again. Thus having died for your crime.
This guy, he's an idiot. So...

VThillman

Geezer
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I thought this was only if you were sentenced to death, you die, but then you come back to life however that might occur. Like being hung, which we don't do, then being pronounced dead, unstrung, and then breathing again. Thus having died for your crime.
This guy, he's an idiot. So...
In the 'civilized' world, execution by hanging is/was done in such a way that the neck is/was broken. That is/was the purpose for the hangman's knot - it provides a tweak.

VThillman

Geezer
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
The drop did not help you any either.
The drop provides the energy for both the take-up and the tweak.

Years ago I read the autobiography of a man who, pretty much accidentally, became a professional hangman in the American West, I think late in the 19th century. He went into detail about how to get the job done right the first time. Got technical.

Last edited: