android phone

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Any way to access a % sign on a phone so I don't have to change a password?

Bottom left button on the pseudo-keyboard will let you access other symbols.

Ben

Also, if you press and hold the "G" key, the % symbol should show as an option.
Thanks there is no % sign on the regular symbols and I hate to change my password

On mine, I just found out, there is an arrow on the left side that brings up the hidden symbols. Guess they are all different.

Each phone may have a slightly different keyboard. They all function similarly, but not exactly the same. There is always some key you can press to get alternate symbols, but the labeling and location of that key can vary. e.g., on my phone, to get to the "percent sign", I have to push the "?123" button, then the "=\<" button. After doing those two things, then I can see a "percent sight" to choose from. This is more complex than other phones I have had in the past. I don't know why this phone (a Motorola G7) decided that the % is rarely used and thus could be hidden away behind multiple button presses. With all these smartphones, the keyboard is just an app though, and you can change it to a different app easily - you don't have to stick with the default keyboard if you don't like it. "Press and hold" on a key to get other symbols is very specific to the keyboard app your phone uses. Some keyboard apps do not support that at all, and for the ones that do, you can bet that what different symbols come up for a given key will vary from phone to phone. Personally, I like the keyboard apps that allow you to "swipe" to different letters. i.e., touch the first letter, and while holding your finger down the whole time, drag over to the next letters in sequence - as if you were drawing lines to "connect the dots". With this swiping method, you only have to get close - as in horseshoes and hand grenades - to the letter you want and the phone will figure out what you meant (with fairly good accuracy) based on its internal spell checker. However, you can get some really out of place, but correctly spelled, words this way.

Each phone may have a slightly different keyboard. They all function similarly, but not exactly the same. There is always some key you can press to get alternate symbols, but the labeling and location of that key can vary. e.g., on my phone, to get to the "percent sign", I have to push the "?123" button, then the "=\<" button. After doing those two things, then I can see a "percent sight" to choose from. This is more complex than other phones I have had in the past. I don't know why this phone (a Motorola G7) decided that the % is rarely used and thus could be hidden away behind multiple button presses. With all these smartphones, the keyboard is just an app though, and you can change it to a different app easily - you don't have to stick with the default keyboard if you don't like it. "Press and hold" on a key to get other symbols is very specific to the keyboard app your phone uses. Some keyboard apps do not support that at all, and for the ones that do, you can bet that what different symbols come up for a given key will vary from phone to phone. Personally, I like the keyboard apps that allow you to "swipe" to different letters. i.e., touch the first letter, and while holding your finger down the whole time, drag over to the next letters in sequence - as if you were drawing lines to "connect the dots". With this swiping method, you only have to get close - as in horseshoes and hand grenades - to the letter you want and the phone will figure out what you meant (with fairly good accuracy) based on its internal spell checker. However, you can get some really out of place, but correctly spelled, words this way.
While that may (too complicated for this old guy) be totally correct,for me it totally useless.

No slight to you haertig. Far from it!

Pet peave

It is a shame that a phone now dictates how a PC has to operate. All websites are dumbed down so they be used by PC web browsers and smart thingies.

The limited interface capabilities of smart thingies is highlighted in the need to implement gestures and innuendo in order to do on a PC with a simple keystroke or combination of key strokes (ctrl-alt-del for example).

What set me off

I inadvertently hit a tiny little button in the bottom of my dumb thingie twice (not knowing that was a secret code that means hide the buttons at the bottom of the screen that lets you do"back" "main screen, etc) and suddenly I was handicapped not being able to access the main page without resorting to power cycling the dumb thingie.

It took me two days of using a PC to learn all I had to do whas swipe from left to right at the bottom of the screen to restore the buttons.

Gesture and innuendo meh!

I guess this post should be moved to the rant thread.

Ben

Latest posts

Back