Animal grain shortages n price increases

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aklogcabin

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I bought rabbit pellets the other day n they had increased in price again. I'm considering purchasing a years supply now. The price seems like it will continue to rise and I'm concerned about shortages. Kinda harder to get things in AK. And they go fast. Even hay gets unavailable in the spring. Unless you want 40$ hay. I had to buy some last spring n our rabbits won't even eat it.
Are you all seeing grain shortages? Price increases ?

there will be major feed shortages this winter, a large part of the food production area of the continent is under hard drought, Hay prices are higher here, and a lot of people aren't taking new buyers, grain yields are way down, and the heads are light, straw will be hard to come by also,

Feed is definitely going up. Theoretically that shouldn't affect meat prices because the packing plants don't pay for that. But if the farmers and ranchers start culling their herds because of high feed costs or unavailability, there may be a glut of meat, then a shortage once the cull is over.

Remember that grain/hay shortages are somewhat localized, at least to an extent. The Dakota's, Minnesota, and Iowa are really getting hammered by the drought. But in Central Nebraska they're doing ok and getting some pretty good hay yields, according to my coworker who has land there. Missouri and Indiana are doing better than Iowa as well. I would estimate a 10% to 15% drought loss in my area, with localized losses up to 50%. But overall I'd say farmers that average 180-220 bushels/acre normally will see 150-180 this year. We'll see how it all shakes out in the end...

Latest posts

Back