Animal husbandry

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aklogcabin

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
As a homeschooling dad animal husbandry was important for me to teach n learn together about animals. From goldfish to bugs to horses to livestock for us.
Growing small livestock such as goats, chickens, turkeys, rabbits n such was a great opportunity to teach animal husbandry. Identifying our families needs and how to get there. Diets n breeding for different types of critters and dissapline by having to feed them daily n care for their needs. And how to do it yourself without having to spend money.
To this day our kids still enjoy putting food up for their families that we process. Including wild fish n game. Harvesting a moose with your kid and processing it together to share between our families is like one of the best things in the world. They wanted to restart our rabbitry so we did. Should be putting rabbits in the freezer in a couple weeks.
Not just animals. Gardening goes hand in hand with raising animals and reducing costs. Selecting seeds from the Cooperative Extension service recommended variety list, growing them, processing them, mulching together with the animals manures to get the best soil tilth. Providing hormone n steroid free food for our families.
Knowing that your kids have a bit of a clue about how animals play a part in our lives that provide food or comfort. Our daughter had banty chickens that were over 8 years and they formed great relationships. Our goats were great and I would recommend a couple as family pets. Kittys n puppies. A whole nuther topic but a good one.
Animal husbandry has been n probably will be part of our lives for a while.
I would highly suggest trying it out. Sometimes it doesn't work out but that lesson is also important.

I'm doing some intentional crossbreeding of chickens , Game roosters over the common big English breed hens. Cornish Roosters over game hens. Various bantam roosters over Game hens etc.
If I remember my genetics right there are four variations from each cross bread. So you are looking at 12 different varieties. What are your plans with those ?

Ben

Learning young is the best, it's then a part of life. I live on the farm where I was born, I don't remember a time when we weren't raising cattle, along with typical livestock/critters.

In an upside down world, the more anchors the better... can't get more real raising critters and putting meat on your table. Just a small bit of sanity in an insane world.

Ecclesiasticus 7:15

“Hate not laborious work, neither husbandry, which the most High hath ordained.”

1611 King James Version (KJV)

husbandry=farming..both plant and animals

As a homeschooling dad animal husbandry was important for me to teach n learn together about animals. From goldfish to bugs to horses to livestock for us.
Growing small livestock such as goats, chickens, turkeys, rabbits n such was a great opportunity to teach animal husbandry. Identifying our families needs and how to get there. Diets n breeding for different types of critters and dissapline by having to feed them daily n care for their needs. And how to do it yourself without having to spend money.
To this day our kids still enjoy putting food up for their families that we process. Including wild fish n game. Harvesting a moose with your kid and processing it together to share between our families is like one of the best things in the world. They wanted to restart our rabbitry so we did. Should be putting rabbits in the freezer in a couple weeks.
Not just animals. Gardening goes hand in hand with raising animals and reducing costs. Selecting seeds from the Cooperative Extension service recommended variety list, growing them, processing them, mulching together with the animals manures to get the best soil tilth. Providing hormone n steroid free food for our families.
Knowing that your kids have a bit of a clue about how animals play a part in our lives that provide food or comfort. Our daughter had banty chickens that were over 8 years and they formed great relationships. Our goats were great and I would recommend a couple as family pets. Kittys n puppies. A whole nuther topic but a good one.
Animal husbandry has been n probably will be part of our lives for a while.
I would highly suggest trying it out. Sometimes it doesn't work out but that lesson is also important.
Thank god some one still believe in this.

Back