anti corrosion bags

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bags will hold water or moist air inside and they never seal well. The best caching container it ABS plastic pipe with moisture absorbents in it.
As far as the grease or oil question I would suggest "Ed's Red" with lanolin. It's better than most anything else and as good as anything else.

Bags will hold water or moist air inside and they never seal well. The best caching container it ABS plastic pipe with moisture absorbents in it.
As far as the grease or oil question I would suggest "Ed's Red" with lanolin. It's better than most anything else and as good as anything else.

So is this based on information that you have read or "You-Tube", or personal experience with these bags failing.......???

Last edited:
Also curious when caching things in these bags should the metal be oiled or greased?

No grease, No heavy oiling. Clean the firearm, then a Very-Very lightly oil, just as if going for a pleasant day hunting. You would not hunt with a greased firearm, or one dripping with oil.

The instructions make clear to the user, that the chemical needs to have access to the firearm, for it to do it's anti-corrosion work.

any recs on a brand?

I can't in all honesty do that. I know that I have used four different brands, and possibly five different brands. I have never had a failure with any. Including the U.S. Military surplus storage bags.

The biggest issue is how you prep the package outside of the bag, to protect it from damage. I feel this is way more important then the brand of bag.

There are many things you can do, which, depending on the priority of success, and the length of the cache period. You can buy additional capsules of anti-corrosive chemical to add to the bag. You could double bag the firearm.

But it really comes down to mummifying the firearm securely in a chamber of anti-corrosive gas. I always come back to protecting the bag.

Last edited:
Wax, most waxes, are water permeable. That means that water can travel through the wax. That is why you get those white rings on your waxed furniture. This product is actually a plastic that is water repellent. It works very well.

I work in a machine shop & they called the dipping pot a honey pot.
It was used to keep threads & surface clean, the cover would harden around the object trapping oil in side. This was 40 years ago, but it worked very well for tools used in the aviation industry. The tool where kelp in a plastic bin for months with no problem, but the tool room was dry like the rest of the plant.

Look up a product called "Fluid Film". I use it everywhere for corrosion protection (as well as a light lubricant).
I undercoat my vehicles and have sprayed down tractor implements, left them outdoors for years and even after that time, no corrosion on the steel.

Here is a video from a guy who has done it. I have no first hand experience.

Latest posts

Back