Any 2018 harvest yet?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutchs

Just a guy loving life
Neighbor
Just hoping everyone would show off the harvest this year! I'll start.....Ouchita blackberries This week and last week!.....
image (20).jpg
image (21).jpg
IMG_20180513_181018 (2).jpg

All I've harvested has been some green onions (reds and yellows). and man are they good.
Won't be too long and we'll get started with Blueberries and Mulberries and cabbage
Damn! I was sooooo looking forward to my Green Onions...I love them. I planted Bunching onions twice this year and neither group even sprouted? Very weird. Everything else except Eggplant and Garlic look incredible......

I've picked about 5 gallons of green beans this week once trimmed up for the freezer, about 80-85 lbs pickling cucumbers made into pickles and relish, just yesterday started picking slicing cukes but only 3, 6 patty squash and 1 yellow squash and almost forgot 6 red onions . I took a pic with my dump phone to send hunny but didn't take one on this tablet.

Harvested a small Spinach salad tonight, tasty. One small radish in it, just because I am impatient. I can't believe how slow the radishes are going this year, sheesh. I put them in in mid-March!

Carrots are a couple weeks away, rest of the radishes are about a week away. I should be able to get a salad twice a week starting next week. I have limited growing area or it would be more.

Peas don't even have blossoms yet! I had to put pole bean seeds in with them today or we won't have beans until fall the way this season is going here. The pole beans around the deck are about a foot tall and ready to start jumping. Cucumbers and squash are going fine.

Good lookin porkers you got there. If you don't mind me asking, What breed pigs are those? How big is your pen?

The black and white is a hamp cross that we bought for the kids 4-H project. The other is a mutt feeder pig we bought to keep the black and white company. Our garden is 35x35. We aren't planting anything this year so they have the whole thing.

I picked one Turnip today just to see how it was. I will be picking them all next week they'll be ready. A nice size bag of squash....That's only a beginning
IMG_20180520_222132.jpg
IMG_20180520_222109.jpg
IMG_20180520_222103.jpg
IMG_20180520_222042.jpg
for the TON of squash I'll have and two more very nice size bags of Blackberries...Yummy.....

4 quarts of strawberries, a couple of pounds of chives, ad a pound of oregano. The strawberries are just starting, we will be harvesting 4 quarts twice a week befor long and it will continue into September.

Have to think on what we have harvested which is quite a bit since the beginning of the year.

16.5 bunches of silver beet, about 3kg of beetroot, about 25kg of cucumbers, 2 x 9lt buckets of sage, 1 x 9lt bucket of rosemary, 1 x bucket of both mixed French and English lavender blossoms and a few strawberries. Today we picked half a wheelbarrow load of sweet potatoes that we will store in our makeshift root cellar.

Holy Kasmoly! A 16 qt. Pot full to the top of slicing, dicing, mashing turnips. And a full size bowl of snacking salad size turnips. These will last a long time. 2/3 getting dehydrated and 1/3 gonna use fresh and grate for mashed. Them the little guys for fresh eating and salsfs!
IMG_20180525_234831.jpg
IMG_20180525_234827.jpg
IMG_20180525_234822.jpg
IMG_20180525_234827.jpg
IMG_20180525_234822.jpg

@Dutchs if you have a large freezer I would blanch and freeze them and put them in meal sized portions. See this website and scroll 3/4's of the way down the page for freezing instructions, just click on the type of vegetable you are processing and it gives you instructions :) .

Here is the link - http://www.pickyourown.org/allaboutcanning.htm .

This is what we do and our large harvests then last us a year for food for the two of us. Yep we have a 7.2lt steamer pot and fill that numerous times for many processing sessions throughout the year.

Latest posts

Back