Any 2018 harvest yet?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry MK! I've just been so happy that anything at all has grown. I only get to tend it during the weekends and it's my first REAL garden. If it's any consolation I have had some failures. My Eggplant didn't take. My garlic ..Nutin! I tried bunching onions twice and didn't work either time. My second crop of potatoes failed and my Beets were dismal! Trial and error is fun though and I think I'm getting better at it and really learning a TON on the way! It's a lot of fun to me.....

I'm just kidding of course Dutchey, just be really proud of yourself for all the crops and success.:green man::lil guy:

Today I harvested the very first Black Jack zucchini and very first Tromboncino zucchini.

It's been a long hard struggle so these first fruits are very special.

Still harvesting a lot of snow peas which don't make it into the house.
Spinach, kale and chard.
I'm harvesting the turnip greens for the chickens.
I've cut leaves twice and now the texture and flavor has gotten pretty rank.

Green onions and herbs and one lone chili.

Today I harvested the very first Black Jack zucchini and very first Tromboncino zucchini.

It's been a long hard struggle so these first fruits are very special.

Still harvesting a lot of snow peas which don't make it into the house.
Spinach, kale and chard.
I'm harvesting the turnip greens for the chickens.
I've cut leaves twice and now the texture and flavor has gotten pretty rank.

Green onions and herbs and one lone chili.
After all the struggle and care you give them they get a character of their own don't they? Almost kinda crazy what we'll do to see them succeed. Keeps me coming back honestly I love it! I hope it gets really good soon TG.....

The last time someone trusted me with a rare seed... a rare variety of a speckled pea... I had a severe drought that summer and killed 5 deer to keep them out of the pea patch... The next year the handful of seed I harvested didn't germinate. The lady who entrusted me passed away from cancer...

I felt so bad, I failed her legacy. :(

@Peanut: Just a couple of shots in the dark... do any of these look familiar (appearance or story)? These are old/rare heirlooms; perhaps one could be THE pea?

https://www.victoryseeds.com/cowpea_mayo-speckled.html

http://heirloomseeds.com/speckled-purple-hull-pea.html

https://www.rareseeds.com/dixie-speckled-butterpea-/

I harvested another 4 zucchini this morning off the Black Jack zucchini.
I'm very very happy with this variety.
It produced earlier than the other two varieties and it's fruit get bigger quicker and they're more abundant.
The Gold zucchini are slow and the fruit seem slower to develop.
Overall the Gold zucchini plants just don't seem to be as vigorous as the Black Jack even though they're in
a prime position and excellent soil that I amended with complete blood and bone fertiliser when I planted the seedlings.
I can't help but think of how much more food I'd be producing if those Gold's were Black Jacks instead.
I'm still waiting for my very first Gold zucchini so I have no idea if their flavor is worth
their obvious drawbacks.

I've been harvesting green onions and a lot of greens.
The butterflies have finally found the greens beds that I didn't net
and the caterpillars have just destroyed most of the nice leaves.
The chickens will enjoy the extra protein when I cut the greens for them.

Not quite the same, but still a harvest. Tomatoes, cukes, and pumpkins are on the way.
Haying Fiinished-lores.jpg

@Peanut: Just a couple of shots in the dark... do any of these look familiar (appearance or story)? These are old/rare heirlooms; perhaps one could be THE pea?

https://www.victoryseeds.com/cowpea_mayo-speckled.html

http://heirloomseeds.com/speckled-purple-hull-pea.html

https://www.rareseeds.com/dixie-speckled-butterpea-/

Nope, Nope and Nope... These were much smaller, more like chicken toe peas... bet you haven't heard of those either... ;)

Not quite the same, but still a harvest. Tomatoes, cukes, and pumpkins are on the way. View attachment 8249

Those rolls look small, 5' X 4's? They look smaller than that. Most folks down here in the deep south bale 5x5, 5x6 and sometimes 6x7. It all depends on your feeding needs. Up until 2016 I baled with an old 504 Vemeer. My nephew and his boys took over the operation. They bale junk square hay (for sale to road construction companies) and a few thousand 5x5 and 5x6 round bales. They have a regular hay business going on... I think they sold 20K square bales last year. Anyway, that is a pretty hayfield... I can almost smell it!

By the way... did you happen to find a black volcanic rock along a stone wall at the edge of your field? ;)

We took a chance on starting our lettuce earl and it has all bolted due to the heat. We will replant in late August when the weather starts to cool. I may try to come up with a way to keep the fall veggies from getting too hot so we can extend the harvest throughout the summer. That is when we use salads more for a cool evening meal. Chef salads become almost a staple.

Today was 4 large cucumbers, 1 pint of cherry tomatoes ( red and yellow mixed). And 4 medium size sweet peppers ( 2 green and 2 purple). Things are finally starting to ripen. We just had another 5 days of heavy rain dropping 4 1/2 inches. Its making gardening really hard here. Things aren't growing right and then taking forever to ripen because theres no sunshine. I have another zucchini but its only about 4 inches long right now but with the way they grow it should be a good size tomorrow lol

I'm glad the sweet peppers are starting to ripen. I use a lot of them through out the year and so I chop or slice bags and bags of them for use. I hit the farm store to buy more than I grow to freeze them too

Today was 4 large cucumbers, 1 pint of cherry tomatoes ( red and yellow mixed). And 4 medium size sweet peppers ( 2 green and 2 purple). Things are finally starting to ripen. We just had another 5 days of heavy rain dropping 4 1/2 inches. Its making gardening really hard here. Things aren't growing right and then taking forever to ripen because theres no sunshine. I have another zucchini but its only about 4 inches long right now but with the way they grow it should be a good size tomorrow lol

I'm glad the sweet peppers are starting to ripen. I use a lot of them through out the year and so I chop or slice bags and bags of them for use. I hit the farm store to buy more than I grow to freeze them too
I get it about the rain. Fortunately we are getting sunshine in between but the rain has made the watermelon not as sweet, the rows nearly impossible to keep us with. The weeds have been out of control all year, not to mention powdery mildew and a plethora of other moisture issues! Spraying copper on my fruit trees today for fungus coming up everywhere!

On Saturday we harvested another 2.5 kg of cherry tomatoes and today washed them and froze them whole in meal sized portions the freezer for food storage. We also took out another tray we froze and packaged those to make another 3 meal portions for us. We also separated another tray of thyme picked from the gardens after we dried it making another 497 g of thyme for sale and some for home use.

@Dutchs the hibiscus and melon look fabulous and delicious :) .

On Saturday we harvested another 2.5 kg of cherry tomatoes and today washed them and froze them whole in meal sized portions the freezer for food storage. We also took out another tray we froze and packaged those to make another 3 meal portions for us. We also separated another tray of thyme picked from the gardens after we dried it making another 497 g of thyme for sale and some for home use.

@Dutchs the hibiscus and melon look fabulous and delicious :) .
Thank you SC15....sounds like you've had a very productive day yourself! Well done.....

Oh happy day! Just pulled the season's first four red, juicy heirloom tomatoes off the vine yesterday! I was getting a little worried, as the growing season here will start to wind down in another few weeks. Now I'm hoping for a ton more to show up quickly!

how many did you
Oh happy day! Just pulled the season's first four red, juicy heirloom tomatoes off the vine yesterday! I was getting a little worried, as the growing season here will start to wind down in another few weeks. Now I'm hoping for a ton more to show up quickly!
plant? hubby is planting peas for us and his babies[pigs]. doesn't know the chickens are going to get some also.

Latest posts

Back