any advice for building conex home on a budget ?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many people are 'building' homes now out of shipping containers.
Sometimes it works out. Be very careful and do plenty of research. Especially research all costs involved. And think of many of the many aspects. Most are 8' wide and 8' tall which seems fine except they have to be insulated well to be livable so your internal dimensions will end up being much smaller. Besides insulation you need room to run the electric wires and plumbing pipes. There is a lot to think about. There are 100's of youtube vids on it.
Once you get a Current final cost then get a cost on normal building materials to compare square footage costs.

I think if you were to bury part of it or build into the side of a hill you can save on Insulation. However there is the added cost of dirt work unless you already have a tractor.

Another consideration is being able to build or add on in stages.

You will want to use spray foam insulation. Warm inside vs cold outside will make the steel sweat

First you must realize that the conex containers cannot be buried without extensive reinforcement. There are two frames, one on the bottom perimeter and one on the top perimeter. The sides are made of thin sheet metal that will easily collapse with any side loads.
As has been stated you will need insulation - put it on the outside to save on interior space. Join two or more together by welding the frames together and cut away the sides and join using structural steel channel on both sides and overhead. That will help maintain strength for vertical loads. Plan of putting a roof on your project because these units are poorly sealed and rust through quickly. Combining 4 8x40 units side by side you end up with a 32x40 structure. You can build out 16 foot rooms and while never spacious they can be made livable. Wiring and plumbing are always problematic but can be made "easier" if you assemble them on a raised and insulated concrete foundation.

Unless you have the equipment to move and roll/lift the containers you may find it is less expensive to build a wood framed home the same size or larger.

I have seen some interesting things done with metal shipping containers. The appeal of them is kind of lost on me. I believe they are 8 foot wide, so there is a limitation on the width of rooms.

There is a big movement currently of purchasing larger sheds and converting them into homes. I've seen them 16 foot wide by 40 foot long, and converted into homes for larger families. They can be delivered to your property, put up on blocks, and then finished to your desire and needs.

I think an all metal building would make a quick, good looking, and inexpensive home that could be purchased in any size you want. Plus it would be maintenance-free too. Order in just about any size with just the external features you want (doors/windows).

https://www.metalbuildings.org/residential/shipping-container-homes/
1.11.jpg

I think an all metal building would make a quick, good looking, and inexpensive home that could be purchased in any size you want. Plus it would be maintenance-free too. Order in just about any size with just the external features you want (doors/windows).

A shipping container is anything but maintenance free. There might be some outfits that will install doors, windows and the necessary bracing for you but you still have to install insulation on six panels, wiring, water, vent and waste lines. You have to provide a suitable foundation that locks the corners to the foundation. Like any home it will need attention especially to the roof. If you leave it flat you will need to seal it yearly but if you build a gable roof you only have to re-roof at 25 year intervals. Like any home there are going to be work it needs.

A shipping container is anything but maintenance free. There might be some outfits that will install doors, windows and the necessary bracing for you but you still have to install insulation on six panels, wiring, water, vent and waste lines. You have to provide a suitable foundation that locks the corners to the foundation. Like any home it will need attention especially to the roof. If you leave it flat you will need to seal it yearly but if you build a gable roof you only have to re-roof at 25 year intervals. Like any home there are going to be work it needs.
Sorry I was talking about a standard metal building (like a garage) that they now make into houses. Many different designs and sizes.

I have very little experience with the metal buildings but a lot more with the shipping containers.

Latest posts

Back