Any body have a wood splitter? Other than your spouse with a AX!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That plus when I use to rent equipment I learned quick to operate it at the rental yard. Many times equipment needed work or would break when I had it on the site. As an owner-operator I know how I am using my equipment, by not beating on it like rentals are.
Yes, we always checked the fluid and looked at the hoses, etc.! Just in case!

There are two problems with using green wood. Will it burn? Certainly! Green wood creates creosote which tends to build up in the chimney and can cause a fire.

The second problem with green wood is the water content. It takes 1 BTU to raise one pound of water 1℉. Once the water reaches 212℉ it takes 960 BTUs to convert that water to 212℉ steam. You are wasting all this energy, well over 1500 BTU/pound of water just to convert water to steam. If you have stacked green wood and then packed it into the house a couple years later you know the weight difference.

The next problem is that the steam displaces the air. With the reduced oxygen you get reduced combustion and a colder fire. You have more smoke going up the chimney. This smoke contains combustable gases and all that energy is lost. This reduced temperature gas causes more creosote to condense in the flue and that is what causes flue fires.

The cylinder, hoses and pump are identical to the brute 30 ton splitter
--- ---
Having been lightly involved in making some parts for several home made splitters.. It seems to work best in planning components to work backward... That is... Take the cylinder you want to use, find what rate of flow will give you an acceptable cycle time, this will determine pump size, pump size will determine horse power needed for the system... System pressure seems the least relevant to the info mix... Most pumps run about the same pressure.. In the 2500 psi or so range..

Unfortunately... This info is where it seems many people who want to run a splitter off the flow of there small compact tractors get into trouble and are not happy with the results.. Most hydrostatic, small compact tractors do not have excess gallons per minute of flow to make a splitter work well..

My 5 cents of experience...
---
---
Zoomzoom... Great idea for a table... Legs to span the bottom flange of the I beam with bolt on clips to hold in place is a great next step modification... I will be doing some design thinking in my "good ideas" note book... Thanks for the pictures...
Here's a good resource. I used it when I built my processors and almost daily when working and upgrading hydraulic components at work.

https://www.womackmachine.com/engineering-toolbox/formulas-and-calculations/

Mine didn't come with a rack/cradle so I made my own. A couple scrap pieces of steel, some 5/16" bolts and a couple C-clamps. I put this on at least 10 years ago. No issues. As you can see by me standing on it, it's plenty strong as well.
While we're talking mods, My uncle put a higher powered hydraulic ram/oil reservoir and extended the blade with an old axe, he regularly splits stuff 2' in diameter. In fact, I don't think there's one vital component he hasn't goosed up or upgraded. I wish I had a camera.that thing is a beast! I'm not sure what the piston is, but it came off a medium sized bulldozer!

While we're talking mods, My uncle put a higher powered hydraulic ram/oil reservoir and extended the blade with an old axe, he regularly splits stuff 2' in diameter. In fact, I don't think there's one vital component he hasn't goosed up or upgraded. I wish I had a camera.that thing is a beast! I'm not sure what the piston is, but it came off a medium sized bulldozer!
I'm in process of upgrading my processor to electrically fired spools. Hopefully next year I'll be able to upgrade to a carbide tipped slasher saw.

NICE! Fred wants to keep everything fuel powered so he can be mobile, but his days of being mobile are over. What kind of saw you got in mind?

NICE! Fred wants to keep everything fuel powered so he can be mobile, but his days of being mobile are over. What kind of saw you got in mind?
I think ya misunderstand me. It will still have a diesel power plant. But instead of manual spools ya have to pull I'm swapping over to 12 vdc fired spools to actuate the ram, infeed and saw. Pushbutton instead of levers.

As for the saw. I'm looking around for good prices. Haven't settled on any one brand yet.

Do you have an industrial supply store handy? Ours carries such things, but I'm not sure of the voltage or type.

I ordered some online. I was gonna use some from work that were laying around cause we upgraded an older system to a higher flow rate. But they were 24vdc. I could of probably gotten away with modifying the electrical system to support that. But seemed like too much of a hassle.

I think ya misunderstand me. It will still have a diesel power plant. But instead of manual spools ya have to pull I'm swapping over to 12 vdc fired spools to actuate the ram
Please post pics of this setup if/when it gets completed.
I was thinking of something similar but I was going to use a pedal to make it 100% hands free.
This one is pneumatic but I'd try to find an electrical equivelant.
1665503375148.png

Whe got our 30 ton splitter yesterday, It had just come in to the lumber supply store where our son works in a tool repair and rental shop. Anyway our neighbor on our east side helped unload it out of the bed of our pickup, could have towed it but with small diameter wheels meant to be kept at no more than 45 mph, I'd rather not do that and I doubt that the splitter will be used away from our property. I'll post a pics later. It's ran by a 196 cc 6.5 hp Kohler. It can be change to vertical splitting easily.

I did about 1/3rd of a stack of firewood destined to go to our friends daughter, the wood has been cured for three years so it's good and dry. Her daughter has been walking in the woods around where she lives picking up fallen tree branches, she's going to have to get more cured wood to make it through this winter because the stack of wood I'm splitting for her is not that big.

Latest posts

Back