Any HAMs using digital modes?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkt

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Last week, I got my rig set up to do digital modes. JS8call is what I'm experimenting with now. What I like about JS8call is you can carry on a keyboard-to-keyboard conversation - as long as you wish - with other operators. Other modes usually don't permit that.

It's amazing that I can make contacts all over the country on 40m during the day! pskreporter.info is showing my 20W signal is reaching Australia, South Africa and Europe as well as all over North America. The weak-signal capabilities of this mode are ideal for preppers. SSB voice is fine, but propagation is not good, particularly during the day. This really is a useful tool for anyone wanting far-reaching communications that are truly point-to-point with no reliance on the internet or repeaters.

Are any operators here using digital modes?

Not really. I’ve got an old MFJ-1278B modem that still works and I occasionally use it as an APRS beacon to test it out. I did have a local guy that was running WINLINK I could connect to with it but don’t think he’s doing it anymore. Back in the ’90s I used it for VHF Packet and to decode WEFAX and some of he digital picture modes on 20 meters.

You’re doing very well with that 20 watt signal!

Last edited:
I am still a ham newbie and don't have an HF rig yet. I only have a VHF/UHF handheld. However, these digital modes that do not depend on the internet are intriguing to me and I would like to investigate them once if have a rig. I still think of ham radio as a communication option that can be used during disasters, both short and long term, and I would not want to be dependent on the internet during a disaster. Besides, if you want to use the internet for communication there are other much more available ways to do that than interfacing ham radio to it. For example JS8, as neat as that is, is totally outclassed by this thing we currently have that everybody has access to - called "email". No license required. Email operates in pseudo realtime with typically only a few seconds of message delay, and also works if you're not "on the air" when the email is sent. It's sitting there waiting for you in your inbox the next time you go online, even if that's two weeks later. This is all just my opinion. I'm not one who wants to use ham radio to emulate something we can already do better by other means. Sorry, but a cellular phone call trounces a radio phone patch. I want to use ham radio to do things that can't easily be done by other means. JS8 provides a communications pathway that could work when everything else - the easier and more common things - are unavailable. This is something I would want to investigate. Having no HF rig currently, I have only read a little about JS8, but have never used it.

During a disaster you would have enough trouble just getting your rig and computer powered up, but you could do that. And do it on your own, without depending on anyone else (assuming you planned in advance). But relying on the internet is the very definition of "depending on someone else", and makes that unappealing to me for ham radio communications. Ditto for repeaters. Certainly nice to have during normal times, but I wouldn't want to be reliant on them during a disaster because they possibly won't be online.

I am still a ham newbie and don't have an HF rig yet. I only have a VHF/UHF handheld. However, these digital modes that do not depend on the internet are intriguing to me and I would like to investigate them once if have a rig. I still think of ham radio as a communication option that can be used during disasters, both short and long term, and I would not want to be dependent on the internet during a disaster. Besides, if you want to use the internet for communication there are other much more available ways to do that than interfacing ham radio to it. For example JS8, as neat as that is, is totally outclassed by this thing we currently have that everybody has access to - called "email". No license required. Email operates in pseudo realtime with typically only a few seconds of message delay, and also works if you're not "on the air" when the email is sent. It's sitting there waiting for you in your inbox the next time you go online, even if that's two weeks later. This is all just my opinion. I'm not one who wants to use ham radio to emulate something we can already do better by other means. Sorry, but a cellular phone call trounces a radio phone patch. I want to use ham radio to do things that can't easily be done by other means. JS8 provides a communications pathway that could work when everything else - the easier and more common things - are unavailable. This is something I would want to investigate. Having no HF rig currently, I have only read a little about JS8, but have never used it.
100% agree that conventional methods of communication are faster and easier. But they are that way because of ubiquitous mobile phone towers and the internet. These systems, while vast, are somewhat fragile and can go (and have gone!) down, leaving large areas without any service. Also, even if the services are up and running fine, they can be overwhelmed. 9/11/2001 in NYC it was nearly impossible to make a call on your mobile phone because the network was saturated.

JS8call is still new to me, but it does offer relaying over the JS8 "mesh" and it also offers store and forward messaging which sounds pretty nice.

During a disaster you would have enough trouble just getting your rig and computer powered up, but you could do that. And do it on your own, without depending on anyone else (assuming you planned in advance). But relying on the internet is the very definition of "depending on someone else", and makes that unappealing to me for ham radio communications. Ditto for repeaters. Certainly nice to have during normal times, but I wouldn't want to be reliant on them during a disaster because they possibly won't be online.
Exactly! Planning in advance is what we do, right? I've got two small laptops - one running Linux, the other Windows 10 - both charged and configured and tested to use digital modes. My Xiegu G90 is a mobile rig and runs quite a while on a16Ah LiFePO4 battery. Even if main power was out, I could still communicate for quite some time. A generator or even an inverter in my car can recharge everything quickly, too.

If power is disrupted, 2m/70cm repeaters are more likely to remain operational than conventional communications. So while that is depending on someone else, it's a fairly solid bet they'll be up and running at least for a while.

During a bad event, I really hate the idea of being dependent on others. IF someone can help, great. But expecting someone will always be able to help is not wise.

Back