Any Leathercrafters Here?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparky_D

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Anyone do leathercraft?

I've been into leather crafting off and on for about a lot of years, lol.

Feel free to post up your creations. I have a few things in process and a couple Christmas gifts I'm making as well. I'll post up pics as I go.

Just recently got back to the craft in a serious way.
Made a sheath for a custom knife the Mrs. Step-Dad was working on.

I think it turned out pretty good, considering the blade geometry.

IMG_0717.JPG
IMG_0726.JPG
IMG_0723.JPG

Lovely work. You don't see anything like that commercially any more.

Angie, I'd love to see that table when you have some free time.

When you buy that cabin then. It has to be part of the decor and it's not like you don't know someone who can get legs back on for you. :D

Last edited:
I am wanting to make myself a leather purse, but have no experience of working with leather since I was a child. Any recommendations for places to learn?

Check to see if there's a local Tandy Leather store near you. Many offer classes.

Is any power equipment involved in making these items?

Everything I make is hand cut, punched, and laced or stitched.

Here are a few other things I've made.

EDC Dump Bowl:
20160319_162838_zpsac9bo2xu.jpg

Pocket Sheath for my ESEE Izula:
20160402_225707_zpsdaoqfak7.jpg

Fiskars Hatchet Belt Sheath:
20170627_210552_zpsdaxgyqr9.jpg

Airsoft Shotgun Holster:
IMAG0377.jpg

and a couple hair barrettes:
20161227_202856.jpg

20161227_202909.jpg

This kind of handwork with this tough material is impressive when you stop to think how it was done and what it ultimately turned out to be.

I used to teach people to make drums and rattles with rawhide. I have made holsters, sheathes, belts and pouches - wallets too.

Belts are the most difficult and the easiest things to make. There is a lot of engraving and full lining that goes into top end belts and the single layer belts without engraving are easier to make but don't last like a good one. It takes the heaviest leather, 10-12 ounce from full sides, for single layer belts and it is costly leather but the best belts use lighter leather in two layers bonded and stitched for strength. I don't make stuff for others - there is too much work in it to be profitable because I do my stitching and punching all by hand. Commercial belts are machine made and it takes a lot less time. You can find good belts online but plan on spending more than $100 for a decent one.

Belts are the most difficult and the easiest things to make. There is a lot of engraving and full lining that goes into top end belts and the single layer belts without engraving are easier to make but don't last like a good one. It takes the heaviest leather, 10-12 ounce from full sides, for single layer belts and it is costly leather but the best belts use lighter leather in two layers bonded and stitched for strength. I don't make stuff for others - there is too much work in it to be profitable because I do my stitching and punching all by hand. Commercial belts are machine made and it takes a lot less time. You can find good belts online but plan on spending more than $100 for a decent one.
Ya on PS i was pointed towards some nice ones on line. I want custom, and by the sounds of it from you! I don't know, consider it if you would. Doesn't need to be crazy but some nice Celtic stuff and tuff with changeable buckle....

Redbeard, I am flattered but I won't make leather goods for anyone but myself and my wife. I don't even make things for my kids.
Save some money and go to a Celtic Leather shop online. Take a look HERE or HERE.

Go to Tandy.com to get started. They have helped more people get started in leather work than any other business out there. You can shop for tooling to get better prices and or better quality. Harbor Freight has a very good five size rotary leather punch and you can find gasket and paper punches in many different sizes at car parts stores and craft supply houses. Tandy leather prices are reasonable but you can find better prices on line once you know what you are looking for. Start with a bag or box of scraps to play with until you are comfortable. You can try one of Tandy's many starter kits like a wallet or coin purse but once you are comfortable stop buying kits and buy leather. It is cheaper and you make your own scraps to try new things with. I made my own lacing punches and some engraving punches but you might want to get a few of the basic punches as you need them. Don't buy a whole tool kit - it will have things you will never use - and they are over priced. If you plan on making a lot of belts or other single items there are specialty tools that make the job easier and quicker. The tools you will want right away are the rotary hole punch, a lacing punch or two, a utility knife with extra blades and an edging tool. A package of 150 grit sand paper for finishing the edges and a piece of hardwood for burnishing the edges after sanding.

Go to Tandy.com to get started. They have helped more people get started in leather work than any other business out there. You can shop for tooling to get better prices and or better quality. Harbor Freight has a very good five size rotary leather punch and you can find gasket and paper punches in many different sizes at car parts stores and craft supply houses. Tandy leather prices are reasonable but you can find better prices on line once you know what you are looking for. Start with a bag or box of scraps to play with until you are comfortable. You can try one of Tandy's many starter kits like a wallet or coin purse but once you are comfortable stop buying kits and buy leather. It is cheaper and you make your own scraps to try new things with. I made my own lacing punches and some engraving punches but you might want to get a few of the basic punches as you need them. Don't buy a whole tool kit - it will have things you will never use - and they are over priced. If you plan on making a lot of belts or other single items there are specialty tools that make the job easier and quicker. The tools you will want right away are the rotary hole punch, a lacing punch or two, a utility knife with extra blades and an edging tool. A package of 150 grit sand paper for finishing the edges and a piece of hardwood for burnishing the edges after sanding.

Thank you! I have a few things in mind that I would like to make: belts, card holders, purses (more challenging than many other things), and satchels. There is a Tandy's a few miles from me that I drive by occasionally. I have been meaning to go in.

You are welcome, Weedy. I got my start in highschool and never quit.

Latest posts

Back