Any Leathercrafters Here?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bucky has got a new home.....I can't for the life of me under stand why an $80 knife would come with a plastic sheath ...30 years ago this blade would have come with a leather holster and I would not have had to make one for it... but any who here is a few of the items I've crafted with some leather...
DSCF3673.JPG

DSCF3650.JPG

DSCF3667.JPG

Very nice, church!
I went to the closest Tandy store last Saturday, and unfortunately, it was almost closing time. I walked the aisles and took a quick inventory of what I can get there. I grabbed a catalog as I left, but wished I had grabbed one for my daughter as well. I will go back another time, and will get one for her then. She wants to upholster the seats of the VW bus in leather. Her friend has an industrial sewing machine that sews leather. He is a great friend, and he and I have hung out at a few holiday dinners, so I am hoping he will let me use his machine. I do want to make a nice leather purse and some leather bags--maybe a backpack and a duffel bag, along with a few other items.

Weedy,
Make your bags out of a lighter, more durable material than leather. Packs and duffel bags get heavy enough without starting heavy. ;)

Thanks for starting this thread! I've never done leather work, but for some reason in the past several months I've really been drawn to it. Seeing this thread and all this beautiful show and tell, well, it just feels like another little spiritual nudge in that direction. Tandy's isn't near us, but it's within driving distance for the occasional class - I'll have to check that out.

Thanks to everyone posting their pics and sharing their creativity! It's inspiring (and I'm smelling leather right now... lol)

DSCF3702.JPG
DSCF3716.JPG
DSCF3702.JPG
hey weedygarden .... I am by no means a professional...but if I might offer a few words of advice ...it would be ... a good pair of yellow wiss snipes for cutting ...scissors are ok but the snipes are less strain on your hand and cut leather quite well....and #2 dermal...don't pouch holes drill them it seems to work well for me....all the rest is thought thinking it through before you cut or drill...here's a few things that might give you an ideal or two a small one compartment pack I made from goat skin an sheep skin from start to finish....

Attachments

• DSCF3706.JPG
    DSCF3706.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 18
View attachment 3186 View attachment 3189 View attachment 3186 hey weedygarden .... I am by no means a professional...but if I might offer a few words of advice ...it would be ... a good pair of yellow wiss snipes for cutting ...scissors are ok but the snipes are less strain on your hand and cut leather quite well....and #2 dermal...don't pouch holes drill them it seems to work well for me....all the rest is thought thinking it through before you cut or drill...here's a few things that might give you an ideal or two a small one compartment pack I made from goat skin an sheep skin from start to finish....
Thank you. I am just now seeing this.

I didn't even realize they had classes. I will have to investigate those as well. I want to hear what you make, what you learn and how you liked it, please.

Will do.

Just as an FYI, I checked the website for the closest Tandy to me, but didn't see any classes listed. But I found a series of videos on YouTube that made me feel like "I can do that" and decided I would get the materials (or at least some of them - it's expensive!) and give it a try. When I got to the store, they had fliers listing some simple intro classes. So you may need to make a phone call to your local store as well as checking their website.

The videos I'm talking about are on the Tandy channel on YouTube - they're by Jim Linnell and he makes a wallet (something like 13 videos?). The first half of the videos deal with stamping and tooling, and I highly recommend watching them in order, if you get the chance.

Will do.

Just as an FYI, I checked the website for the closest Tandy to me, but didn't see any classes listed. But I found a series of videos on YouTube that made me feel like "I can do that" and decided I would get the materials (or at least some of them - it's expensive!) and give it a try. When I got to the store, they had fliers listing some simple intro classes. So you may need to make a phone call to your local store as well as checking their website.

The videos I'm talking about are on the Tandy channel on YouTube - they're by Jim Linnell and he makes a wallet (something like 13 videos?). The first half of the videos deal with stamping and tooling, and I highly recommend watching them in order, if you get the chance.
Thanks. I will check out Youtube as well as the store.

Will do.

Lots of good videos! Thank you!

Love the pics! I do more leather repair than 'leather work'. I have a knife that someone made me, and I've been planning my knife sheath. I bought the leather about 2 months ago and it sits in a corner. I did make a pocket holster for my .380 years ago. I'll post it here. Of course it's a video..... that's all i've been doing for the past 7 years.

@goshengirl how as the class?

It was a good class (a leather tooling class - I was the only student, lol) One of those "follow along with the instructor" classes, gave me a good chance to try a variety of different tools. I'd bought some supplies to work with the other week, but was afraid to start anything - but now that I've actually cut into leather in the class, it's like an ice-breaker. I'm not so hesitant to start a project on my own now.

Here's what I did - not my style, but I enjoyed trying the different tools:
[ETA: sorry so big!]
leather%20tooling%20class_zpsm0r0tmnl.png

It was a good class (a leather tooling class - I was the only student, lol) One of those "follow along with the instructor" classes, gave me a good chance to try a variety of different tools. I'd bought some supplies to work with the other week, but was afraid to start anything - but now that I've actually cut into leather in the class, it's like an ice-breaker. I'm not so hesitant to start a project on my own now.

Here's what I did - not my style, but I enjoyed trying the different tools:
leather%20tooling%20class_zpsm0r0tmnl.png
looks like a good start, good for you

looks like a good start, good for you
The basic stamping tools were straightforward, but the shading tools require a lot more finesse (at least, for me).
But it was good to just start handling the leather, and to be in the store and see some of the things other folks are doing - lots of ideas. So I would definitely recommend taking a class if someone were interested.

The basic stamping tools were straightforward, but the shading tools require a lot more finesse (at least, for me).
But it was good to just start handling the leather, and to be in the store and see some of the things other folks are doing - lots of ideas. So I would definitely recommend taking a class if someone were interested.
I remember that tooling is tricky and that you have to be very careful to get it right. That is what I remember from my childhood experiences of working with leather. I did get a Tandy catalog and saw the kits. I need to figure out about taking some classes.

I use to do a lot of leather work back in the 70's and up to the point I moved to Tennessee in 1988 then I quit just due to my work and not having time for it anymore or have a place to work on it. I started doing leather work when I was 12 or 13 my neighbor next door to me was a top notch saddle maker and made custom leather belts, purses, bags you name it. I learned a lot from him just sitting and watching him for hours at a time. I really enjoyed it when I had the time to do it and made a little money with it, I use to make custom "name" belts and wallets for people. Still have most of my tools and may get back into when I retire. It can be really time consuming when you start doing all the fancy tool work, but it's also very rewarding!

I found out that the Tandy shops in my area have classes almost every Saturday from 10:00 a.m. until noon. The one closest to me has a new manager this week, so the classes were not scheduled when I was there last week. I think I will start going there on Saturday mornings until I have taken all of the classes. I think it is smart of them to keep the same schedule each week for their classes.

My wife's step-father asked me about making a checkbook cover for him. He just wanted a simple design with no tooling or decorative stitching, so I dusted off my work bench and got to work.

8VB8rPJ.jpg

vOu64d0.jpg

All I had was some super thin 2-3 oz leather, so I backed the main body with split suede, then gave the finished leather a nice antique Mahogany stain.

2Q6lpCZ.jpg

Stitched it all together and finished the edges. Not too bad for a couple hours work.

ODOlOQG.jpg

xTMU659.jpg

I bought a new stainless vacuum bottle to use when hiking (it was on sale for $9 w/free shipping). None of my existing carriers would fit the new bottle so I made a leather one from some scrap leather and piece of strap from a broken ratchet strap. Those are 12" blocks to give a size comparison.
carrier1.JPG
carrier2.JPG
carrier3.JPG

20200211_105845.jpg

if you want to play with your stains and experiment
try this.
using a sponge, tap it in the black. you do not want a lot of die
die the edge holding the sponge on a angle. and get die on the top of the leather in a random nonpattern.
then tap the leather with the black..hee and there
take your mahogany antique dye, cut it with alchol 50/50
dye your project but do not try and get it evenly dyed

here is another dye experiment. making new look distressed
stained it brown, then stained it black in random spots

20200202_163722.jpg

20200211_105845.jpg

Attachments

• 20200211_105943.jpg
    20200211_105943.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 10
leather_guide_weight.png

leather_guide_weight.png

Weight, Thickness and Common Uses of Leather Hides and Skins

2 to 3 oz. weight 2/64" to 3/64" thickness is commonly used for molding, toolable linings, embossing.
3 to 4 oz. weight 3/64" to 4/64" thickness is commonly used for embossing, lightweight billfold backs, clutches.
4 to 5 oz. weight 4/64" to 5/64" thickness is commonly used for billfold backs, organizers, clutches.
5 to 6 oz. weight 5/64" to 6/64" thickness is commonly used for small cases and notebook covers.
6 to 7 oz. weight 6/64" to 7/64" thickness is commonly used for carved handbags, camera cases, journal covers.
7 to 8 oz. weight 7/64" to 8/64" thickness is commonly used for narrow belts, knife sheaths and small holsters.
8 to 9 oz. weight 8/64" to 9/64" thickness is commonly used for belts, holsters, saddle bags.
9 to 10 oz. weight 9/64" to 10/64" thickness is commonly used for heavier holsters and belts over 1-1/2" wide.
10 to 11 oz. weight 10/64" to 11/64" thickness is commonly used for carpenter's and linemen's belts.

here are some measurements for a front pocket card carry thingy

20200309_153819.jpg
20200309_153829.jpg

above is a finished one. 6 cards, and pockets under the cards for cash/receipts

20200309_154226.jpg
20200309_154237.jpg
20200309_154300.jpg

you also need 2 pieces of 2'' wide ribbon 13'' or longer
and 2 pieces of 2oz leather 3'' x 5''

Attachments

• 2 A  layout.png
    2 A layout.png