Any motor heads ?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frodo

Walk with God, You will never be lost
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
right here right now maybe later over there
I am currently trying to resurrect a 1996 S-10 4x4 extended cab
It needs a new transmission
The vin research says it has a 4L60E transmission
I have found a 2004 trailblazer with the same transmission

Here’s the confusion
IMG_3470.jpeg
IMG_3469.jpeg

Trailblazer is not a 4x4. Is the 4x4 component bolted to the transmission?

You'll be a LOT better off finding the right 4x4 ready transmission. Switching stuff around to work is possible on the older stuff IE: turbo 350 / 400 not so sure about the newer metric transmissions.

You guys might as well be talking Chinese, you are so far beyond my mechanical skills, but it is comforting to know there is so much expertise here, and people willing to share. :thumbs:

4L60E transmissions were stock for many GM vehicles through the 90's. Shouldn't be hard to find one 4wd ready. In fact a transmission shop probably has 1 or 2 laying around. Call a few shops, might find one rebuilt and ready to go. A friend of mine with a transmission shop kept a couple on the shelf. He'd sell the transmission or put it in for $$.

I thought he was trying to put a 4WD tranny in a 2WD, so never mind my post! We rebuilt my Z71 tranny, NEVER AGAIN!! Last summer Hubby's 1/2 ton Chevy and my front wheel drive car got junkyard trannys!! I think we are going to rebuild the '79 Impala tranny this winter?! I can rebuild a Toyota 22R motor in my sleep 😉👍!

I thought he was trying to put a 4WD tranny in a 2WD, so never mind my post! We rebuilt my Z71 tranny, NEVER AGAIN!! Last summer Hubby's 1/2 ton Chevy and my front wheel drive car got junkyard trannys!! I think we are going to rebuild the '79 Impala tranny this winter?! I can rebuild a Toyota 22R motor in my sleep 😉👍!
Love those old 22R's great motors and easy to work on. Although I never broke one

From what I can squeeze out of a tranny mechanic
1993-1996 is the only years the model 4L60E will interchange with my truck
Seems the 4l60 has changed/evolved over the years not all are interchangeable
This confuses me. If they are not the same then they should not have the same model #!!!!
I had a 92 s-10, I bought it new, when I tried to give it its first oil change I spent 45 minutes looking for the oil filter before I found it behind the drivers side front head light and a special tool was needed to remove it
Oppsy opps opps. Drove a screw driver through it and used it as a handle
Redneck ingenuity at its finest

From what I can squeeze out of a tranny mechanic
1993-1996 is the only years the model 4L60E will interchange with my truck
Seems the 4l60 has changed/evolved over the years not all are interchangeable
This confuses me. If they are not the same then they should not have the same model #!!!!
I had a 92 s-10, I bought it new, when I tried to give it its first oil change I spent 45 minutes looking for the oil filter before I found it behind the drivers side front head light and a special tool was needed to remove it
Oppsy opps opps. Drove a screw driver through it and used it as a handle
Redneck ingenuity at its finest

I was going to say that the 4L60E changed several times across generations. That transmission was used in a lot of GM vehicles. Unfortunately, they are not like the old TH350/400 type trannys that all you have to do is swap the tailhousing to convert them from 2wd to 4wd. The 4L60E had different length and different spline count output shafts, so you need to find the correct year and also correct drive for your S10. I am in complete agreement with @Pearl that a junkyard tranny is your best bet if you don't want to drop a couple thousand bucks on a reman.

Latest posts

Back