Any natural remedies for skin issues?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I know a gal who is struggling with some pretty severe skin issues. She gets horrible ulcers that has been diagnosed as a rare autoimmune disorder that I've never heard of. Basically the doctor told her there is virtually no cure or treatment except for maybe Humira, which he said may not even help. The cost of Humira is unbelievable! Thousands of dollars for a month's supply. She is going to give it a try and see what happens, even though she really can't afford it. It is affecting her personal life and job, so she is desperate for help. Without getting too in depth.....these ulcers weep foul fluid, are painful, and show up in very unfortunate places making it difficult to move. Needless to say, it is difficult to do a job with this condition due to the smell and immobility/pain issues.

My recommendation would be to try intermittent fasting to see if that helps but I'm not sure that is something she can handle. She is overweight and uses food as a crutch (I think) which just makes for a vicious cycle.

Would any of you have any recommendations you think might be helpful?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012LD6XWM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Plantain is my go to plant for any skin issue. I used fresh leaf a couple of weeks ago when I cut my thumb and got 11 stitches. I used it when I was bitten by a brown recluse spider, after 3 days I could no longer see where the spider bit me. It is simply an amazing plant.

Plantain is effective for eczema and the blisters caused by the shingles virus. Hippocrates wrote about using it for shingles blisters 2400 years ago.

This is worth a try… fresh leaf is better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Peanut! I know very little about alternative medicine, but I actually do know a little about plantain and we have lots around here that I can identify. I think I learned about it while watching Alone. I would have no idea how to make it into a usable source for her however. The person who used it in alone chewed it into a pulp and put it on the area that was infected with an insect bite. I don't think she would appreciate that approach. LOL!
Thanks for the link. I will pass it on.:thumbs:

@angie_nrs

There are several 100 vids on youtube showing folks how to make their own salve... easy peasy!

I always use fresh leaf or tincture, works better for me. There are more than a dozen species nation wide. The two most common are from Europe, Plantago major and Plantago lanceolata. I prefer Plantago lanceolata... Lance leaf plantain.

I lost my satellite internet in the middle of editing this post... sorry... I wanted to add...

Lance leaf plantain but have used all 4 species that grow here, interchangeable. The reason I prefer lance leaf, I can find it year round... the other 3 only grow in specific conditions but I do use them if available.

Last edited:
I'd listen to Peanut first but just to give you another option, you might try honey. Put a little raw honey on the wound and cover with a bandage.

I'd listen to Peanut first but just to give you another option, you might try honey. Put a little raw honey on the wound and cover with a bandage.

Honey is great! there are actually several dozen remedies to try... I gave the best one, not the perfect one. It all depends on the person and what their body will accept. :) From what you described there are other issues at hand including depression... It might take a very complex regime of plants to help her. I suggest finding a very good clinical herbalist. Fixing a symptom can be simple, fixing the illness... very complex

Last edited:
From what you described there are other issues at hand including depression... Fixing a symptom can be simple, fixing the illness... very complex

I think you nailed it! I too think her condition(s) is a symptom of her lifestyle. From what I'be been told, she doesn't really cook and mostly eats out. I think THAT is her biggest problem. I'm sure there are emotional issues as well, but if you don't start by fixing your body chemistry by putting good things into your body, how can you expect anything to change? She knows what she is eating is not healthy but she continues doing what she's always done. The older she gets, the worse the problems become....and she's getting new and more severe symptoms, like this skin condition. I know that even if she could manage her skin condition, it would only be a band aid to her true problem. There are SO many people out there that struggle with the same type of problem, including her parents and boyfriend. Ug! How do you fix that???? My thoughts are....that you really can't. I think she will have to hit rock bottom in order for true change to happen. It's sad to sit back and watch it though. I hope she can at least, try and treat the skin condition.

We use Aloe Vera fro many things, my daughter likes ' buluga honey'spell?

I know a gal who is struggling with some pretty severe skin issues. She gets horrible ulcers that has been diagnosed as a rare autoimmune disorder that I've never heard of. Basically the doctor told her there is virtually no cure or treatment except for maybe Humira, which he said may not even help. The cost of Humira is unbelievable! Thousands of dollars for a month's supply. She is going to give it a try and see what happens, even though she really can't afford it. It is affecting her personal life and job, so she is desperate for help. Without getting too in depth.....these ulcers weep foul fluid, are painful, and show up in very unfortunate places making it difficult to move. Needless to say, it is difficult to do a job with this condition due to the smell and immobility/pain issues.

My recommendation would be to try intermittent fasting to see if that helps but I'm not sure that is something she can handle. She is overweight and uses food as a crutch (I think) which just makes for a vicious cycle.

Would any of you have any recommendations you think might be helpful?

I'd tend to blame the enternal rather than the external.

I used aloe vera on a couple of burns a while back.it worked great. Plus a person can remove the meat from a section of leaf.and eat that.i think its suppose to help with ulcers and othe stomach issues. It helps with digestive track issuses.but i suddest not to eat to much of it.on account it can be hard on the kidney's. And/or liver.plus it be helpfull to mix some aloe in with honey and lemon juice.

I'd refer her to the Dr Christopher incurables program, but it's not easy to get through.
Other than that, using a group of specific herbs might help. I've used this concoction, soaking a very hurt foot, with amazing results in 20 minutes. If you want more info, let me know. I have to look up either the website or the herbs.

Last edited:
I used aloe vera on a couple of burns a while back.it worked great. Plus a person can remove the meat from a section of leaf.and eat that.i think its suppose to help with ulcers and othe stomach issues. It helps with digestive track issuses.but i suddest not to eat to much of it.on account it can be hard on the kidney's. And/or liver.plus it be helpfull to mix some aloe in with honey and lemon juice.

In 1977 I used it to cure an ulcer or whatever it was hurting my stomach and after all the meds and advice a bottle of Aloe Vera from health food store cured it right up in less than a week.

Last edited:
I would start with a non-chemical keto diet - her system is reacting to something? Also, she probably already has, but no chemical cleaners. I like to figure out the cause and avoid it rather than react to the result. (Sorry if that makes me sound like a hard a**.) I usually think it's easier not to have to deal with what happens if...
I've figured out that I am sensitive to anti-caking agents and emulsifiers (oh yay.) Within a day, I get MAJOR cold sores, so guess what I avoid like the plague!
Wishing her the best and some true healing.

Back