Any snakeolegests out there?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bears are really bad & people think they are friendly, how did man kind last so long.
Gators are as bad & people have no ideal how cleaver they are.
Sharks & wild pigs will eat anything.

@Supervisor42 name it? It has a striped head. What did you say it was? A moccasin? It has a tubby body, not sleek and shiny like a black snake. Shape of the head also give it away as a bad boyo, at least that wouldn’t trick me. Black snake also looks like it has a faint stripe running along the spine. It’s a lot of ID to take in, in less than a split second.
My aunt kept a big garden tool out her back door near the Blue Ridge mountains. She was good at doing a quick chop chop on something poisonous, I think it was a rattler the time I watched. It was always “go get Aunt Mary.”
Grandfather sheriff was pretty quick at it too. He was amazing with baby copperheads and staying alive. More chop chop. Ugh.
Yes. I refuse to call them by their nickname they are known as in the south, the "cotton-mouth". If you wait to see the bright white color inside their mouth, you are too late :oops:.
As far as IDing them, you only need to be able to tell good from evil.
Chop, chop is correct for evil. :thumbs:

Last edited:
I hate bears, no idea why. I won't eat one either.
How 'bout we stay on snakes?
The last thing a person sees after identifying a "cotton-mouth" snake.
Notice how long the folded fangs are :oops: :
shutterstock_1311595109.jpg

(moccasin)

Last edited:
Looks like a buckshot sponge to me.
Have we got to all the Anacondas in Florida yet? I wanna BBQ one!
I'm betting it could be a new franchise, Cajun battered dog crusher served with a side of slaw and fried and a cold one!

Looks like a buckshot sponge to me.
Have we got to all the Anacondas in Florida yet? I wanna BBQ one!
I'm betting it could be a new franchise, Cajun battered dog crusher served with a side of slaw and fried and a cold one!
That be a loong BBQ cooker!

This thread reminds me to be glad I live where I live. We don't have danger noodles, scorpions, fire ants, or nasty bitey spiders (unless you count the occasional brown recluse). And when it gets cold, we don't even have biting flies or mosquitos. We don't have bears, we don't have gators, we don't have sharks, mountain lions are quite rare, and we don't have any damn wild pigs. We just have coyotes and deer. Life is good here...
We have prairie rattlers, massasaugas, and western diamondbacks around here (and rumors of timber rattlers as well), but I like to keep them around to kill and eat mice. A mouse with hantavirus is potentially far more dangerous than a rattlesnake.

On the other hand, cockroaches are pretty unusual. I like that.

Yes, with out going into a wall of words
Go to YouTube. Look up Bob Hansler. How to tan a rattle snake skin
I have used his method 8 or 10 times and my snake skins are as soft as a baby’s butt
All kidding aside. I need some rattle snake skins, let’s talk
I killed a rattlesnake once to make a hat band. I salted the skin and I don't remember what else because it's been over 40 years ago but it didn't work. The skin ended up being crisp.

Any idea on the right way to cure a rattlesnake skin to make a hat band?

Sorry, but I am a venomous snake hater :(.
I couldn't find the post where someone got bit 20-minutes later by a head that had been severed.
Watch the tongue dancing out of this one's head even after it has been blown off:

I do feel bad for the kids cart though, poor thing didn't stand a chance.:cry:
Extra info: He used a "shotgun revolver". Wish he had mentioned what size shot he used.

Last edited:
Yes, with out going into a wall of words
Go to YouTube. Look up Bob Hansler. How to tan a rattle snake skin
I have used his method 8 or 10 times and my snake skins are as soft as a baby’s butt
All kidding aside. I need some rattle snake skins, let’s talk
Talk on the phone? I don't have any problem with that but I have lived in iowa for the last 23 years and we don't have any rattlesnakes.

Talk on the phone? I don't have any problem with that but I have lived in iowa for the last 23 years and we don't have any rattlesnakes.
😂 seems I misdirected a post
Would talk with you anytime about any subject. But alias you do not have snakes 🐍 I think my post should have been directed at Billy Jack

If you are worried about your dog being bitten by a rattlesnake, there is a shot they can get that helps prevent the bad effects from the bite. I gave the shot to my Brittany and she got bit. She had very little effects from the bite. But, it could have been a dry bite.

I do not believe in killing snakes for the fun of it, if you are not going to use the skin or meat.
You should call a snake removable team, to pick up the snake.
One snake can remove hundreds of mice & rats from you woods & rodents are more dangers than any ten snakes.
I know my take on snakes, bees & wasp/hornets is strange to most people, but on the farm we were taught that leave them alone. We killed chicken snake only in the hen house.

Back