Any snakeolegests out there?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How to know the difference between Coral and King Snakes: "Red next to yellow will kill a fellow." Red and white are the same so white next to red will kill a fellow too.

When I lived in California in the 1970s and 1980s, buddies and I used to chase and kill rattlesnakes a lot while camping in the high deserts (about 3500 feet above sea level) near Randsburg, California ...google that town and you will see some cool pictures because it's an old cowboy town. A ranger once told us the Mojave Green rattlers were very deadly and you will die it 4 hours if you don't get help so we had to get drunk before we chased them.

Last edited:
I saw one or the other of them ages ago. it wasn't in the least bit aggressive, so it got to live. copperheads and rattlers die on sight
and go on the grill.

I put this file on snakes in the reference area... Missouri is about the center of the country, has lots of snakes...

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/missouri-snakes.15857/
If you want to know how I helped a dog that was snake bitten...

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/snake-bite.10580/
I remember my grandpa getting bit by a copperhead on two different occasions. He wrapped a kerosene soaked rag around it both times for a couple of days. He was sick but there’s no way you would get him to go to a dr.

I remember my grandpa getting bit by a copperhead on two different occasions. He wrapped a kerosene soaked rag around it both times for a couple of days. He was sick but there’s no way you would get him to go to a dr.
I got bit by a Copperhead when I was 12 and on a survival camping trip. My only option was to just relax at camp sick as crap for 2 days. But, I knew that as long as I stayed calm I'd be fine.

My dad was the same way, he sopped a rag in bourbon and drank the rest of the pint right down, even though it was a highly venomous baby copperhead, he never even barfed! But knowing my dad, the snake probably died in horrible agony somewhere of blood toxemia.

If you have to kill a snake, then I want the hide

I will give you $20. For each snake hide 30” or longer

Skin the snake, lay on a table pour salt on the hide the roll it up. Freeze
Contact me
I killed a rattlesnake once to make a hat band. I salted the skin and I don't remember what else because it's been over 40 years ago but it didn't work. The skin ended up being crisp.

Any idea on the right way to cure a rattlesnake skin to make a hat band?

Youtu
I killed a rattlesnake once to make a hat band. I salted the skin and I don't remember what else because it's been over 40 years ago but it didn't work. The skin ended up being crisp.

Any idea on the right way to cure a rattlesnake skin to make a hat band?

Youtube
Bob Hansler
How to tan Rattlesnake skin

You need glycerine and 70% -
Or more rubbing alcohol —- at a 50/50 mix
A gallon glass jug with lid and a stick

Wonder if brain tanning would make for a soft snake skin like it does for a regular hide?

Thanks Y'all! Per usual, clear as mud again! I didn't know I could complicate things so easily! Yes, I have concerns about poisonous snakes, but, the question was "how to tell king snakes from rat snakes" because each comes in 4-5 different variants!"

I do appreciate your assistance!
Thank you!
Have a great day!
They both eat snakes bugs small animals eggs etc and non venomous bites. Should keep up with tetanus schedule as dirty bites. Rat snakes and chicken have little red on them. King snakes can be multi colored. I chose to only kill copper heads and any big constrictor in my chicken coop.

This is what I use day to day & when I taught Boy Scout about the subject. It covers insects, snakes, scorpions & plants.

A Field Guide to Venomous Animals and Poisonous Plants: North America North of Mexico (Peterson Field Guides)​

1671056091122.png

Last edited:
Did you watch it?
I have not figured out how to copy paste YouTube v links using a phone yet
Ii
On youtube click the "share" button under the video.

In the pop-up select copy link

When posting on HCL add a blank line in your post.

Hold your finger down in your post until you get a pop-up then select "Paste".

Done!

Ben

On youtube click the "share" button under the video.

In the pop-up select copy link

When posting on HCL add a blank line in your post.

Hold your finger down in your post until you get a pop-up then select "Paste".

Done!

Ben
Thanks Mr Ben

Around here in southern Oregon we have timber rattlers and bull snakes, I've seen rattlers up to around four and a half feet long and bull snakes better than five feet. Both my wife and I have had very close encounters with rattlers and the thing about bull snakes is that they had diamond patterns on their backs like a rattler and you come upon them in the fall they will whip their tails in the dry leaves which sounds just like a rattler, largest bull snake I've seen was around five feet, wife saw one that was close to eight feet. Usually rattlers around here want to avoid being close to humans, except for my wife, she's had them rattle under a picnic bench she was sitting on. One time I had a wild turkey hen warn me about a rattler, she was making weird sounds and when I went over to where she was, the snake was close by. My warning to anyone is if you shoot a snake, cut the head off before picking it up, actually I keep a flat nosed shovel near our entrance door just for this purpose and the thing about cutting their heads off before handling what seems like a dead snake is that a neighbor got bitten in his thumb from a snake he shot when he went to pick it up, snakes have a natural reflex to do that even after being deadly wounded. Another thing I have to warn about is that I have ran across a couple of rattlers that didn't have rattles on their tails, that makes for an unfair advantage, no warning.

My warning to anyone is if you shoot a snake, cut the head off before picking it up, actually I keep a flat nosed shovel near our entrance door just for this purpose and the thing about cutting their heads off before handling what seems like a dead snake is that a neighbor got bitten in his thumb from a snake he shot when he went to pick it up, snakes have a natural reflex to do that even after being deadly wounded.
This is a very important point.
I forget that everybody wasn't taught this from childhood :(.
Snakes can continue to move for over 20 minutes after they are 'killed'.
Look back at every one of my posts that ends in "off with their head!".
Story:
I was walking up the street months ago and a neighbor was gossiping with her neighbor across the street. Under her mailbox was a big moccasin that had been run over by a car and it's head only hanging on by a thread.
They were watching when I picked it up, so I took it over and told her that it was hers and no, I wasn't stealing it.
As I was holding it up to show them, it wrapped around my forearm and squeezed tighter than an adult human male can :oops:.
She said I could have it:LOL:, and the creatures at the creek ate good for a week.

Last edited:
Whereas, a black rat snake:
Good:
92369-1660095142720.png

And Satan's deadly duplicate....
Evil:
IMG_7345-Florida-cottonmouth.jpg

Confusing the two can be a deadly mistake.:oops:
Look close and learn.

Last edited:
@Supervisor42 name it? It has a striped head. What did you say it was? A moccasin? It has a tubby body, not sleek and shiny like a black snake. Shape of the head also give it away as a bad boyo, at least that wouldn’t trick me. Black snake also looks like it has a faint stripe running along the spine. It’s a lot of ID to take in, in less than a split second.
My aunt kept a big garden tool out her back door near the Blue Ridge mountains. She was good at doing a quick chop chop on something poisonous, I think it was a rattler the time I watched. It was always “go get Aunt Mary.”
Grandfather sheriff was pretty quick at it too. He was amazing with baby copperheads and staying alive. More chop chop. Ugh.

This thread reminds me to be glad I live where I live. We don't have danger noodles, scorpions, fire ants, or nasty bitey spiders (unless you count the occasional brown recluse). And when it gets cold, we don't even have biting flies or mosquitos. We don't have bears, we don't have gators, we don't have sharks, mountain lions are quite rare, and we don't have any damn wild pigs. We just have coyotes and deer. Life is good here...

Latest posts

Back