Any weavers on here?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mejnoona

Friend
Neighbor
I'm new to the forum, and we're still in the planning phase since my husband has a few more years before he can retire from army.

I am a weaver and spinner and plan on raising sheep and goats (and maybe an alpaca or two) once we finally get to move.

I'm looking at raising some of the heritage breeds of sheep, but am open to suggestions. We will be in East Texas. Any others out there with advice for me as I plan?

Don’t forget your guardians of the flocks. I’d research that a lot too. I came across a place in the middle of Texas that has a big fibers business, make rugs and other items, from their own animals and others’ animals, including llama. I’ll see if I can find the info later.
Welcome to the forum. You can check out any time you like, but you may never leave. 🎤🎶🎵

I have done some spinning and weaving myself, but I have struggled with wool moths. I have had a few fleeces, wool rugs in my home, and wool and cashmere pants, jackets, sweaters and coats that were destroyed by the moths. I love natural fibers, but have mostly gone with synthetics because of all the damage in my wardrobe and home by moths.

I have a spinning wheel that was my great grandmother's, made for her by her brother from an apple tree. It is not the best, but g grandma spun wool and made socks for her children because she had it. I also have a spinning wheel that I purchased new about 40 years ago. I have a floor loom that I have not set up. I had a nice maple floor loom that I sold a couple decades ago. I have not spun or woven in decades. Life gets in the way and other projects take over life. Buying my home that needed lots of work took precedence over many of my fiber arts interests.

Right now I have 2 floor looms, a table loom, but various small looms. Also several spinning wheels. I enjoy spinning to weave with, but since being in Texas I weave more with cotton than wool. I’d like to get back to wool and make rugs and Western riding blankets.
I attached pics of some of my recent work - mostly kitchen towels, napkins, etc.

Attachments

• B81EE30C-EEE5-44A3-906C-5B7ECBF34070.jpeg
    B81EE30C-EEE5-44A3-906C-5B7ECBF34070.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 9065C98A-D46C-4195-96EA-B50C9353B9CE.jpeg
    9065C98A-D46C-4195-96EA-B50C9353B9CE.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 22F9364F-D078-4D5B-9F8E-5EC8BC3FBA7B.jpeg
    22F9364F-D078-4D5B-9F8E-5EC8BC3FBA7B.jpeg
    418.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 114E035D-9F15-4122-900D-D94B94303BB6.jpeg
    114E035D-9F15-4122-900D-D94B94303BB6.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • 7350649B-00D7-4BC8-8BCF-58B18B7BD792.jpeg
    7350649B-00D7-4BC8-8BCF-58B18B7BD792.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 3
I just want to thank everyone involved in keeping these skills alive, and for sharing the beautiful results.

I spin and weave. I starting weaving to use up the handspun yarns that I was quickly accumulating. Alas, I've not used any of them yet. Just can't decide what to make with them. I have done some knitting with them though.

I've got two wheels--both Ashfords--a Traveller and a Kiwi2. Love them and can't recommend them enough. The Kiwi lives at the lake cabin and the Traveller is here in Jersey. The Kiwi always gets the delicate yarns to spin during my trips up there. The Traveller is a workhorse and currently I'm spinning some Corriedale on it. Likes pounds of Corriedale. That will be woven into a blanket/throw.

For looms, I think they've been "fooling around" while I'm at work because they keep multiplying. It started with a vintage 25" Erica rigid heddle. Needed a floor loom, so bought a LeClerc folding 24" Compact--8 shafts and 10 treadles. Wanted a smaller rigid heddle--got a 10" Schact Cricket. Jacques--the LeClerc--wasn't wide enough. A bigger floor was in my sights. A Glimakra Ideal. Four shafts and 40"-ish weaving width. Oh my! I got rid of two pieces of furniture to get Big Bjorn into my 500 square foot abode. The only thing missing was an inkle loom. Not anymore.

I'm a fiber addict.

I spin and weave. I starting weaving to use up the handspun yarns that I was quickly accumulating. Alas, I've not used any of them yet. Just can't decide what to make with them. I have done some knitting with them though.

I've got two wheels--both Ashfords--a Traveller and a Kiwi2. Love them and can't recommend them enough. The Kiwi lives at the lake cabin and the Traveller is here in Jersey. The Kiwi always gets the delicate yarns to spin during my trips up there. The Traveller is a workhorse and currently I'm spinning some Corriedale on it. Likes pounds of Corriedale. That will be woven into a blanket/throw.

For looms, I think they've been "fooling around" while I'm at work because they keep multiplying. It started with a vintage 25" Erica rigid heddle. Needed a floor loom, so bought a LeClerc folding 24" Compact--8 shafts and 10 treadles. Wanted a smaller rigid heddle--got a 10" Schact Cricket. Jacques--the LeClerc--wasn't wide enough. A bigger floor was in my sights. A Glimakra Ideal. Four shafts and 40"-ish weaving width. Oh my! I got rid of two pieces of furniture to get Big Bjorn into my 500 square foot abode. The only thing missing was an inkle loom. Not anymore.

I'm a fiber addict.
Things do have a way of breeding to n the corners. Right now I have Lochlann, a 48” 8 shaft Macomber, Bowie, a 24” 8 shaft Louet David, a 16-shaft table loom, band loom, rigid heddle, sprang, card loom, inkle loom plus a couple others. And that’s not counting spinning wheels 😜
But I love weaving and I try to keep at least 4 looms working. I never get bored - I just shift to a different project.

@Cabin Fever is Wind in Her Hair on this forum? I miss her fibery posts from that other forum
No, she is not. If you're interested, and you're a Facebook member, I can give you links to her FB page and to her FB fiber group (>250 members) that she is the tail-twister for. Currently, she is planning an End-of-Winter fiber retreat. So far, about 50 people are attending.

Don’t forget your guardians of the flocks. I’d research that a lot too. I came across a place in the middle of Texas that has a big fibers business, make rugs and other items, from their own animals and others’ animals, including llama. I’ll see if I can find the info later.
Welcome to the forum. You can check out any time you like, but you may never leave. 🎤🎶🎵
@Mejnoona they may have gone out of business or changed the operations of it. Sorry. There are a few wooly fiber independent production companies. Hope you can find one.

Ooops! I did it again. Heck of deal for and only a little over an hour from my house. A 3 year old Schacht Wolf Pup LT with 4 reeds and a bench. My plan is to have it live in upstate NY at the cabin. Brought up to my living room to do a shake-down weave on it.
117379F1-9AC6-4204-AFF8-F81428E50727.jpeg

EF20AF55-1AC6-4ABC-9BFD-C5344159FC1F.jpeg

it’s only 18 inches wide but I’m sure I’ll find plenty to weave on it

Latest posts

Back