Anyone Been On A Trip Lately?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Just wondering if anyone has went anywhere in last couple months since all the things happened.
Plus it ha just been too hot to travel for us no way could we handle a breakdown in the heat this year.
It has been really humid down here along with high temps.

Well we moved to a different state. That was enough for me right now. Just had company for two nights from New Mexico. They are traveling to a few other sightseeing spots in Kansas, and some in Colorado before returning home.

Well I'm sure after all that your good for awhile.I need to get away from here for awhile. I like to travel although its not as fun as it was in my bus, but van is ok.

We were supposed to leave for Bali today but this stupid China virus killed that trip. We are going to try again in April.
I haven't been anywhere in a long time. My wife went to the ocean with her sisters last month. The wife and I are going on a short trip for a few days for our anniversary on the 18th. I guess after 50 years the marriage is going to last so we'll celebrate. I told we could wait another 50 years just to make sure. She said she doesn't want to wait that long.

About three months ago I went from where I live in Alaska to where Mom lives in Alaska. To do that I go through Canada and then take a ship. The China flu precautions for Canada and the ship were changing on an almost daily basis. About a month before the trip I started calling weekly for travel restrictions. the last week or so I called every other day.

When crossing the border into Canada I confirmed with the border guards as to which gas stations would accept credit cards. Neither they nor I wanted me to interact with any Canadians.

I did go to be tested prior to my trip and had a letter from my doctor but I was not asked for it.

I've been home for a long time, except when I house sit. I have been house sitting for couples who are mostly road tripping. Today, one gets home from a trip to Yellowstone. They are New Englanders who are traveling to see things they never have before. I literally drove my car from one garage to another driveway a block away on Tuesday. Previous couple had gone to the Western Slope of Colorado. The two couples arranged this, if I agreed, which I did, for me to go from one to the next. Couple who had gone to the Western Slope got caught up in the snow storm and thought they were to be home by 5 pm. I don't know what time they actually got home, but I went and fed their pets at 8:30. At that time, it looked like they were to get home around 11. I was more concerned about the couple who was driving through Wyoming to Yellowstone. They stayed on I-25 to Sheridan and had no problems with travel.

It wasn't a long trip, but we drove from Rochester, NY to Skaneateles, NY for my (almost) DIL's wedding shower. We had a great time browsing the stores and pigging out at Doug's Fish Fry (truly a national gem).

Coming up in a couple weeks: We're traveling to a place near Letchworth State Park to a B&B for my son's wedding. Looking forward to that!!

Alas, that's as exciting as I'll allow our travel to be. If I can't walk home inside of a week, we've gone too far.

I travel out of state at least twice every month for my job. So far this year I have worked in Oakland CA, Pueblo and Colorado Springs Colorado, Cheyenne Wy, and all over Wisconsin between Madison and the Twin Cities. To be honest the only difference between Pre-Covid and now, when traveling, is the masks. Gotta have them to go into truck stops and such. I haven't flown since early in the pandemic, before the mask mandates. I couldn't tell you about that.

It wasn't a long trip, but we drove from Rochester, NY to Skaneateles, NY for my (almost) DIL's wedding shower. We had a great time browsing the stores and pigging out at Doug's Fish Fry (truly a national gem).

Coming up in a couple weeks: We're traveling to a place near Letchworth State Park to a B&B for my son's wedding. Looking forward to that!!

Alas, that's as exciting as I'll allow our travel to be. If I can't walk home inside of a week, we've gone too far.

Nice destinations BKT. Mine will probably just be the beach again.

I travel out of state at least twice every month for my job. So far this year I have worked in Oakland CA, Pueblo and Colorado Springs Colorado, Cheyenne Wy, and all over Wisconsin between Madison and the Twin Cities. To be honest the only difference between Pre-Covid and now, when traveling, is the masks. Gotta have them to go into truck stops and such. I haven't flown since early in the pandemic, before the mask mandates. I couldn't tell you about that.

Your like my son he stays in the air or in a car. Pandemic has slowed down air travel though. Most nations won't even allow you into the airports now some are relazing restrictions but not many last I heard anyway

Last edited:
Your like my son he stays in the air or in a car. Pandemic has slowed down air travel though. Most nations won't even allow you into the airports now some are relazing restrictions but not many last I heard anyway
One thing I forgot is that most hotels are requiring masks in the lobby and at the desk. They'll ask you to put one on before they check you in. The one I'm at now says mask are required in the hallways too but it's not enforced.

Ours say that too but it is not enforced at all.

Last week we spent a day in Grand Teton National Park (which is about 275 miles from home), spent the night in Idaho Falls, then home the next afternoon. Weather/scenery was beautiful; all the stores, restaurants/motels, etc. were open and not all that crowded. Next month -- hopefully -- we're going to SLC, which is the closest place that has all the really nice restaurants and shopping, and is about 50 miles closer to us. We can only afford that about once a year!

Seriously considering taking a day or two to get away, clear my mind. Not usually very good at letting go of my concerns, seems like they multiply instead.
:D

I'd like to go where I can sit outside in the evening, or anytime, without being pestered by skeeters. Have a little fire. Hot tub. Part of a plan!

Drove 600 miles on way to see family. They lived close to a State Capital, I could count on my one thumb how may I saw without face masks.

Stop in a small town to pickup pizza. None of the employees or customers were wearing masks.
That is how it is here. The large herds of sheep are all muzzled up but the roaming bands are without muzzles.

I bet that was erie to witness.
Back when it had just started to get bad, in February I think, I flew from Denver to Des Moines and back. There was 9 people on a 737 that seats well over 100. And DIA airport, that's normally packed, was so deserted you could hear your shoes squeak. There was nobody. That place is weird enough as it is, but when there's nobody there it's kind of creepy...

Back when it had just started to get bad, in February I think, I flew from Denver to Des Moines and back. There was 9 people on a 737 that seats well over 100. And DIA airport, that's normally packed, was so deserted you could hear your shoes squeak. There was nobody. That place is weird enough as it is, but when there's nobody there it's kind of creepy...

I bet! We have entered into the Twilight Zone for sure in many ways. Looks at what we have now in all of media and people stranded away from home in other nations when the virus hit. I have been watching a couple on YT for years now who are stuck on an African Island for 6 months and the negative difference in their looks is quite telling. You can see teh stress on the faces.

Latest posts

Back