Anyone buying "Food" from AMAZON.com

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What meals do you like? What corners can you cut to save a bit of money? Not criticism here but I can see there might be room for change.

I don't try to save money. I try to get rid of money, and have things of real value to me. Food and warmth being near or at the top of my priorities.

Seeds for sprouting.

This is a good suggestion that I need to act on. What seeds for sprouting would you suggest.........and how best should I store them, for the best long term. I have about 160 pounds of red winter wheat I had figured to sprout if necessary. But a variety would be prudent.

Browse Amazon Pantry. Free shipping after $35 to Prime members. Normal food like canned soup and bags of chips.

I stock up on muffin/quick bread mixes, pop tarts (for the girls), matzo ball soup mix, cereal etc.

This is a good suggestion that I need to act on. What seeds for sprouting would you suggest.........and how best should I store them, for the best long term. I have about 160 pounds of red winter wheat I had figured to sprout if necessary. But a variety would be prudent.
Freeze them.

The choices boggle the mind! This link will give you an idea of the many varieties of flavors/seeds. ----> Sprouting Seeds

(You can order most of these varieties from Amazon, BUT BE WARNED: some vendors are unscrupulous and sell less-than-optimum quality seeds (contaminated with bacteria, chemicals, or may be too old for a decent shelf life). Sprouting seeds must be untreated, and tested negative for the presence of E. coli 0157, Salmonella, etc.

Also, sprouting conditions must be kept clean and sanitary or you run the risk of getting sick from overgrowth of unwanted bacteria.

I trust:

https://sproutpeople.org/seeds/
https://shop.culturesforhealth.com/...777.828388385.1602736377-602880539.1602736377
https://www.vitacost.com/ (free shipping on orders over $49.

https://www.johnnyseeds.com/vegetables/sprouts/

How to do the sprouting thing:

https://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/sprouting/getting-started-sprouting/
https://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/?search-page=cms&s=seeds+for+sprouting
https://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/sprouting/how-to-sprout-seeds-jar/

Browse Amazon Pantry. Free shipping after $35 to Prime members. Normal food like canned soup and bags of chips.

I stock up on muffin/quick bread mixes, pop tarts (for the girls), matzo ball soup mix, cereal etc.

I wish I qualified for Amazon Pantry, but I live too remotely for the delivery of these items. Sourdough lives even more remote than I do.

Great thread. I’ve been following this thread as it is applicable to me.

On the seeds, do you get sun all winter? I would think your mountain would block the sun like my mountain does. I don’t have sun for about 2 months each winter. I would imagine this would make a difference for certain varieties of seeds. Most of what I grow needs the ample sunlight of summer. Just wondering what might be worthwhile growing with my limited heated space in the dark winter.

Great thread. I’ve been following this thread as it is applicable to me.

On the seeds, do you get sun all winter? I would think your mountain would block the sun like my mountain does. I don’t have sun for about 2 months each winter. I would imagine this would make a difference for certain varieties of seeds. Most of what I grow needs the ample sunlight of summer. Just wondering what might be worthwhile growing with my limited heated space in the dark winter.

Don't need sun to do sprouts. Check out the 3 links I posted on how to do it. :)

Spices and condiments. I don't want to eat bland food. Another place you might check out is the Mormon cannery. Your closest one is off Baudenburg Loop near Palmer. If I'm around the next time you come to town I'll take you over. I think they do mail orders also. The other bonus is that there are almost no customers at any one time so little risk.

Dehydrated onions are handy. If you like spicy food, Sambal Olek will warm up a bowl of rice and my wife puts a little in her beans but start out real easy. Seriously, real easy, you can always add more.

Be sure to check out all the ways you can use sprouts, too!

Last edited:
On the seeds, do you get sun all winter? I would think your mountain would block the sun like my mountain does. I don’t have sun for about 2 months each winter.
December 21'st I get 55 minutes of visual sun. The valley is deep, but it lays perfectly North and South.

I don't know if Amazon in Alaska is different than the lower 48, but it would appear that you can get almost anything you want. I would just caution to watch prices - cost per ounce - which they do list. I know you are not concerned with prices, but there are some huge variations. Tuna fish for example can vary from .15 per ounce up to .65 per ounce, and one brand was stupidly expensive. Why not get more for your money in the long haul.

Idahoan instant potatoes has a large line of flavored and spiced type.
jello mixes
powdered butter
rice noodles
foil packs of tuna fish
egg noodles
dried mushrooms
a bag of morton tender quick to use in preserving the moose you kill if winter temps get to warm.a little goes a long way.i keep several bags on hand at all times.theres other cures out there that go by different names and numbers and both have different strengths and measurements.also might add in a bag of morton sugar cure or their other items you can make canadian bacon from moose back strap.
legg spices has various sausage seasoning and i have made some outstanding sausage from deer with them.

I was going to say pudding but I see you got that going for ya. I keep large stock of different flavors in the pantry. Lots of different things I can do with them.
Powdered milk
Plain gelatin- many things to do with that.
Spam if you like that as a different canned meat option.
Different seasonings and seasons mixed for making stuff like ranch dressing etc

That is very lean. I usually use 80/20 for burgers. Our family is talking about butchering a cow ourselves this winter. Everyone around here is so used to sending it in to our local place to have it done, but they are backed up 5 months. So we're thinking to bring in the oldtimers to help instruct with the cuts.

That is very lean. I usually use 80/20 for burgers. Our family is talking about butchering a cow ourselves this winter. Everyone around here is so used to sending it in to our local place to have it done, but they are backed up 5 months. So we're thinking to bring in the oldtimers to help instruct with the cuts.
We are getting the 95-5 for $3.50 a lb.

That is an excellent price for local hamburger. Do you know a pig farmer? You could cut that meat with ground sausage and it would taste really good
The farmers are doing it mostly to help out. The cheap hamburger is $4.99 in the stores.

Latest posts

Back