Anyone can dehydrated meats?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustMe

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Maybe a strange question, but I have a bunch of dehydrated burger that I honestly don't see being used as well as if it were canned. I am considering rehydrating it in order to can it to make it more usable in recipes. Has anyone done this before? If so, what were the results?

Maybe a strange question, but I have a bunch of dehydrated burger that I honestly don't see being used as well as if it were canned. I am considering rehydrating it in order to can it to make it more usable in recipes. Has anyone done this before? If so, what were the results?
Never done it!! Can't wait to hear how it turns out!!

Never done it!! Can't wait to hear how it turns out!!

Not sure I want to try it if I can't find any info. Tried doing a web search but only come up with how to can it OR how to dry it, but nothing on canning rehydrated.

IDK, maybe I'll try a jar or two and see what happens........if you don't hear from me in a couple days, you'll know it failed. 😂

Actually I think it's going to work. My plan was to add the dried burger to some fresh and can it seasoned for taco meat.

I cooked the fresh burger, then rehydrated the dried by just adding some water and heating it on the stove and letting it sit to do it's thing. I tasted it, and was kinda tough and tasteless, but edible. So I went ahead and mixed it with the fresh burger and added some taco seasoning. Not fully, just in case the canning process intensified the flavor too much. If when I open it and it's not enough seasoning, I can adjust it then. No biggy. I tasted it then and it was fine, light on seasoning but headed in the right direction. Then I dry canned it and got 9 pints. I call that a success.

Are you talking about freeze-dried meat or dehydrated (dried) meat? There is a big difference.

Can’t you just rehydrate it right before you want to use it?

Yes and I still have a bunch dehydrated. I had wanted to can some burger that was preseasoned. but the cost for fresh is really expensive. The fresh I did have for the project was discounted, but only a few pounds and not enough for what I wanted to do, and that's why I used some of the dehydrated.

Latest posts

Back