Anyone caring for a child/loved one on the Spectrum?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a perfect example of why everyone being on the same page in school does not work. You were aware and being proactive in being able to help the situation. So many parents are not equipped to help their own children.

I wanted to homeschool Roo from the start but I was told by K and my folks I don't have the patience for it. I guess I proved them all wrong! The public school teachers didn't have the patience.

I have made it clear I want to homeschool Juju and I will not let anyone tell me no anymore. I will send her to the pre school for a year for the basics in social skills and prep her for schooling with 'mommy' (and let Roo and I ease into the idea too). Plus she would enjoy being with kids her own age without Roo around.

My nephew is on the spectrum on the high functioning end. Crazy thing is it was never in our family before him.

He is super smart at math and science but struggles with social skills. I think that having as much social interaction with others the same age would help. My nephew is really touchy feely when he talks and people like me and other people don't like that as much but he is learning and getting better. Keeping him from getting over stimulated helps.
Also educating your child (if diagnosed) with what's happening and why REALLY helps them understand.
Sorry don't know where you could test but sounds like others gave some good points.
Also learn and tell others your kids triggers. My nephew hates loud noises. I once tried to take him to the range with the others and doubled up on ear protection (ear plugs and muffs) it still was too much for him.
My nephew does take meds on exam days at school or days with lots of homework but not on the weekends or days with light work. Poor kid looks stoned though. His pupils are huge......but they do help a lot. I just pray they don't have long term side effects.
Hope you find a place!

My nephew is on the spectrum on the high functioning end. Crazy thing is it was never in our family before him.

He is super smart at math and science but struggles with social skills. I think that having as much social interaction with others the same age would help. My nephew is really touchy feely when he talks and people like me and other people don't like that as much but he is learning and getting better. Keeping him from getting over stimulated helps.
Also educating your child (if diagnosed) with what's happening and why REALLY helps them understand.
Sorry don't know where you could test but sounds like others gave some good points.
Also learn and tell others your kids triggers. My nephew hates loud noises. I once tried to take him to the range with the others and doubled up on ear protection (ear plugs and muffs) it still was too much for him.
My nephew does take meds on exam days at school or days with lots of homework but not on the weekends or days with light work. Poor kid looks stoned though. His pupils are huge......but they do help a lot. I just pray they don't have long term side effects.
Hope you find a place!

Both Roo and Juju are highly tactile. I am as well. I always was. Maybe that is why I like working with fiber arts/sewing and mixed media. (Maybe that is why my mom prefers ceramics and paper mache for her medias she has an art degree along with her teaching masters)

Part of Roo's up coming curriculum will be hand sewing. I have always been nervous giving her a sharp needle but she needs to know the basics as a life skill. I figure her finished sampler project will be a tactile fidget pocket kitty. She can use any fabrics or trim she wants to give it different textures. Maybe it will help her with her hands-y behavior.

I am going to make a bunny one for Juju since she is only 3. I tried to give her some 'feely-face' tactile stimulation when I repaired her stuffed bunny's ear. I added some double satin ribbon to the surface so she could rub it with her fingers. I did the same thing until I hit grade school. My mom said I'd wrap satin ribbons on my fingers until they turned purple and rub the satin on my lips and face. Since people thought that was weird in school I stopped.

Back