Anyone good at redesign of living space?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PopPopT

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I'm curious about something and have poked around the internet numerous times but really don't find a whole lot that seems to help.

Here's what I'm thinkin' about...

We bought a house a few years ago. Built in about 2006 or so, so it's not that old. Stickbuilt. It's around 2,000 square feet but not laid out particularly efficiently. It's a ranch style so all one level, over a crawl space. Basements here are difficult because of a lot of rock not far down. It's 3br, 2 ba, small kitchen, small dining area, almost too large master bedroom, and hallways that are big enough to make at least one more fairly large bedroom, maybe two if that space could be utilized for something other than hallways. It also has a "sunroom" that started out as a porch that's been closed in, poorly, that doesn't really incorporate with the rest of the house. We do use the space, though, kinda like an office.

I know movin' walls around is kinda big. But if I had a "master plan", an "ultimate goal", I'd bet it wouldn't be as difficult as one might think. I just can't seem to come up with that "master plan".

I do have in mind that I could add on a nice big country kitchen as an addition to the house footprint that wouldn't require me to alter the present roofline at all. And then the area that was the kitchen would become part of the dining area and become a nice large dining area instead of the tiny one we have now. That part seems relatively easy. The other end of the house is where it falls apart, with bedrooms, bathrooms and hallways. There has got to be a better way. I just haven't figured it out.

So, I wondered, are there websites out there that help a person to figure stuff like this out? I know, it wouldn't be easy without seeing it all, and I don't have anything I can pop up here easily.

I know, huge projects. There isn't much I couldn't do myself. I have skills. Electrical isn't that difficult. Plumbing is a mess and a lot needs to be redone anyway. HVAC wouldn't be difficult to reroute where needed and is already sized appropriately. One of the major walls that would need taken out is not load bearing and ones that are would probably not be moved far enough to matter.

None of it... well, most of it anyway, is actually necessary. I'm fixing stuff as I go along, such as defects in the roof that the inspector didn't bother to mention when we bought. And the place is perfectly livable as it is, not ideal, but livable. (I tend to have a few cuss words under my breath when I spend much time in the kitchen, obviously the person who designed it never bothered to actually use it for much cookin' or bakin'.) But mostly, it is functional on a very basic level. When family comes to visit, it gets really cramped. For us two ol' farts, we manage.

Whatcha think? How do you come up with a good master floorplan? Glad for any thoughts!

Moving walls is ok long as you know what to do with the recepticles aka wiring.
I tore down a wall once,ehen hubby came home he saw all the wires hanging or laaying aand was upset.But I did make a large room out of two small rooms in old house.

We built small,so use upstaies loft outside storage buildings.We have two baths and 3 rooms downstaires on floor.

I moved a few walls around before, but I knew what I wanted. I was changing a room or 2 not a major remodel. I don't know what advice I could give. I did use the opportunity to make some 10 inches so I could have built in shelves and made use on both sides. That turned out nice.

I'm curious about something and have poked around the internet numerous times but really don't find a whole lot that seems to help.

Here's what I'm thinkin' about...

We bought a house a few years ago. Built in about 2006 or so, so it's not that old. Stickbuilt. It's around 2,000 square feet but not laid out particularly efficiently. It's a ranch style so all one level, over a crawl space. Basements here are difficult because of a lot of rock not far down. It's 3br, 2 ba, small kitchen, small dining area, almost too large master bedroom, and hallways that are big enough to make at least one more fairly large bedroom, maybe two if that space could be utilized for something other than hallways. It also has a "sunroom" that started out as a porch that's been closed in, poorly, that doesn't really incorporate with the rest of the house. We do use the space, though, kinda like an office.

I know movin' walls around is kinda big. But if I had a "master plan", an "ultimate goal", I'd bet it wouldn't be as difficult as one might think. I just can't seem to come up with that "master plan".

I do have in mind that I could add on a nice big country kitchen as an addition to the house footprint that wouldn't require me to alter the present roofline at all. And then the area that was the kitchen would become part of the dining area and become a nice large dining area instead of the tiny one we have now. That part seems relatively easy. The other end of the house is where it falls apart, with bedrooms, bathrooms and hallways. There has got to be a better way. I just haven't figured it out.

So, I wondered, are there websites out there that help a person to figure stuff like this out? I know, it wouldn't be easy without seeing it all, and I don't have anything I can pop up here easily.

I know, huge projects. There isn't much I couldn't do myself. I have skills. Electrical isn't that difficult. Plumbing is a mess and a lot needs to be redone anyway. HVAC wouldn't be difficult to reroute where needed and is already sized appropriately. One of the major walls that would need taken out is not load bearing and ones that are would probably not be moved far enough to matter.

None of it... well, most of it anyway, is actually necessary. I'm fixing stuff as I go along, such as defects in the roof that the inspector didn't bother to mention when we bought. And the place is perfectly livable as it is, not ideal, but livable. (I tend to have a few cuss words under my breath when I spend much time in the kitchen, obviously the person who designed it never bothered to actually use it for much cookin' or bakin'.) But mostly, it is functional on a very basic level. When family comes to visit, it gets really cramped. For us two ol' farts, we manage.

Whatcha think? How do you come up with a good master floorplan? Glad for any thoughts!
I've often told Hubby that hallways are wasted space so chuckled when I read of yours. I'm far from a pro, but have done this for myself more than once. (Am still working on a house plan for us that suits all of our needs). I will say, if you could just sketch the floorplan on a piece of paper and upload it as a pix, it would be very helpful to see where your dilemmas lie. Hashbrown, Ben and Firechief all have lots of experience so hopefully they can chime in.
With that - first identify what it is you want and the need/function of each of those spaces. Like you said, the kitchen is something you actually use not just a feature like a wall decoration. What sorts of things do you like or want in a kitchen. The triangle between appliances: water, fridge, and range has proven efficient, but would you like a bar? open to other living space? or closed off so odors don't permeate the rest of the home? just you in the kitchen? or wife and you? etc. Same for the rest of the house: maybe you and wife have a small "sitting room/living room" but a larger area for when family visits. Bathrooms: Jack & Jill style allows entry from multiple directions. Tons of options :) Once you have what you want laid out, prioritize them. Sketch out the top one or two items and how you can make them work in your house then work around those. You will most likely have to compromise somewhere, but hopefully it will be in those areas that are of lesser importance to you.
That's all I've got at the moment - will be curious as to what others come up with.

Draw the outside dimensions of your house to scale on paper. Using cardboard cut out "moveable" walls, furniture and appliances. Move the cutouts around until you find a floor plan you like.

Or research and buy a software program. Spent a lot of time learning the program then draw out your house to scale, move walls and appliances until you find a floor plan you like.

LazyL has the right idea. You need to know the dimensions you have to work with before you can plan out the walls. If you have any load bearing internal walls put them in your drawing too. If you want to move the load bearing walls you have to replace the walls with load bearing beams and modify the floor structure to handle the point loads at the ends of the beam. This may include reinforcing the foundation.

Do you have a stick built roof or a trussed roof? I have folks ask me all the time about taking walls out and after I look at them most of the times it's no bueno without beams or some way to support the roof. I see them do it on those house flip shows all of the time and it makes me cringe knowing what the future holds for those homes.

Do you have a stick built roof or a trussed roof?

Trussed. And that's good. Yup, I get needing to make sure supports don't just go away.

The only considerably sized wall I would intend to eliminate is not load bearing at all. Most other walls I don't think would be going far enough to matter much.

I actually got quite a bit of assistance in my bathroom/laundry reno ideas from Houzz. I posted in the Design Dilemma section & people posted sketches of layouts & made suggestions for changes to my original plans. I actually stuck with the ideas from one lady who was very helpful. First step is to draw up a blueprint with measurements.
I believe Highup mentioned using Irfanview (which I downloaded but have not tried yet) to do layouts. Sketchup also has a Layout program. I'm not sure how to use it as I stick to the 3D rendering part. There are free/trial versions of Sketchup that are nice. You can plugin measurements and see how things look. I did this with my bathroom/laundry room measurements to see what would and would not fit.
I also used Sims games to build approximations of my house but measurements were off (couldn't make it quite the right size so it appeared larger than it really was).

I actually got quite a bit of assistance in my bathroom/laundry reno ideas from Houzz. I posted in the Design Dilemma section & people posted sketches of layouts & made suggestions for changes to my original plans. I actually stuck with the ideas from one lady who was very helpful. First step is to draw up a blueprint with measurements.
I believe Highup mentioned using Irfanview (which I downloaded but have not tried yet) to do layouts. Sketchup also has a Layout program. I'm not sure how to use it as I stick to the 3D rendering part. There are free/trial versions of Sketchup that are nice. You can plugin measurements and see how things look. I did this with my bathroom/laundry room measurements to see what would and would not fit.
I also used Sims games to build approximations of my house but measurements were off (couldn't make it quite the right size so it appeared larger than it really was).

Thanks for the thoughts!

I have actually been so busy with gardens and greenhouse projects that I haven't done anything more with layout ideas. I like the idea of doing it with some kind of computer program. I am not familiar with Irfanview, I need to check that out. I did play with Sketchup for a while and never mastered it well enough to really do anything with it. Somethin' just didn't "click", I guess.

All of my floor plan views are done in "LibreCAD" which is an open source cad program. It is not a 3D program or a rendering software but it works well for me. Zooming in and out for detail work and when I am done it is something I can take to an architect and let him transfer to 3D and render it. All the files can be saved in DXF so it is "compatible" with AutoCAD or a number of other CAD Programs.

My father used some form of CAD to design his desk in the front room. I helped him build it. It was out of plywood (back when plywood was cheap).
Sketchup has a learning curve. I watched Youtube to learn some tips and tricks. It's gotten easier with newer versions and more features available. I was moving slats on a bed frame and it remembered that I was moving them 2.5" every time so it started giving me that option automatically but I could still change it if I didn't like it (it would sort of snap the object to that point).

You can also do a rough sketch in MSPaint that is not to scale and then write measurements on it. Just make rectangles/squares, etc & label them. That is a starting point. Start with main details like room sizes then add in more details like window, door, plumbing, & outlet/electrical. If you know which walls are load-bearing that can help.
An example is this crappy sketch of my house layout
housefloorplanrough2.png

Backlash, I will have to check out 3D Home Architect.

Latest posts

Back