Anyone growing Hazelnut trees/bushes?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buildit

Hay Seed Scientist
Neighbor
So I've got 4 in the ground and 3 in pots which I'll try to find places for in the yard this spring. It would seem they will be another five to six years before they are big enough to produce unless they have a huge growth spurt. Curious of others experience and the where they are growing them, I'm in West Central Ohio.

So I've got 4 in the ground and 3 in pots which I'll try to find places for in the yard this spring. It would seem they will be another five to six years before they are big enough to produce unless they have a huge growth spurt. Curious of others experience and the where they are growing them, I'm in West Central Ohio.
There is some kind of encouragement somewhere, for growing hazelnuts, maybe to provide tree variety, due to tree diseases. I don't have a hazelnut tree, but think it would be a great idea. I like them, and have done some baking with them, but they are not my most commonly used nut.

We have a lot of wild hazelnut growing here in Southern Oregon, the wild trees are also called filberts. Up North there a lot of hazelnut trees around the Eugene area. A few years ago there was some major disease problems, seems like I remember it was kind of world wide, I think Turkey is another major grower of them. A couple of years ago I planted ten almond trees that are cold weather resistant, they seem to all be doing good but walnut trees do the best locally and I'll probably plant some varieties of them in the coming years. As to the wild hazelnut/filbert trees, the main problem we have is the squirrels get to them before they're ripe enough for us to pick.

We have a lot of wild hazelnut growing here in Southern Oregon, the wild trees are also called filberts. Up North there a lot of hazelnut trees around the Eugene area. A few years ago there was some major disease problems, seems like I remember it was kind of world wide, I think Turkey is another major grower of them. A couple of years ago I planted ten almond trees that are cold weather resistant, they seem to all be doing good but walnut trees do the best locally and I'll probably plant some varieties of them in the coming years. As to the wild hazelnut/filbert trees, the main problem we have is the squirrels get to them before they're ripe enough for us to pick.
I saw that hazelnuts are also called filberts.
I thought that there was a disease problem, and thought that might be why there is some kind of push to grow hazelnuts. There are a few different varieties, so maybe some are more resistant to the disease than others.

Squirrels are something. One summer, I had some corn in my garden and did not get to eat any of it, but the squirrels did. I've never planted corn again. Not wasting time and garden space on them.

Nope, they're not alien to Ohio. :) Here's their native range:

american-hazelnut-native-area.jpg
(source: Arbor Day Foundation)

We planted some about six years ago - no nuts yet. (SE Ohio) And this past fall the deer really did a number on them, so I'm not so sure we'll be getting nuts next year, either...

@Weedygarden, when we plant cucumbers around our corn, we haven't had a problem with critters getting to them. We do it because raccoons are supposed to hate the vines, but now that I think of it, we don't have squirrel problems in the corn either, and we have plenty of squirrels - so maybe that's a good way to keep them out, too? I can honestly say that the first year here the raccoons got our corn, the second year (when we tried the cucumber circumference) we had no problems, and the third year (when we didn't do cucumbers) we had critters in the corn again. That sealed it for us - cucumbers it is. Last year we lost a lot of corn to cutworm, but we don't have furry critter issues.

Hazelnut trees are gendered, at least the ones I had in Seattle were. I got lots of empty shells but no nuts. I was told I needed a male pollinator to get nuts.

I have 2 Alo side my 2 Almond trees. It's the first year in the ground for them. All got good foilage last year and appear to be healthy. 3 of the 4 grew about a foot taller and one grew about 3 feet taller.

Lots of wild ones up this way but the squirrels always seem to get to them first. 8 have been toying with transplanting a few to our place

Nope, they're not alien to Ohio. :) Here's their native range:

american-hazelnut-native-area.jpg
(source: Arbor Day Foundation)

We planted some about six years ago - no nuts yet. (SE Ohio) And this past fall the deer really did a number on them, so I'm not so sure we'll be getting nuts next year, either...
I have never seen them here in the middle of S.C., but I am thinking of planting some myself. There are two main kinds. one is native & the other comes from across the pond.

I have never seen them here in the middle of S.C., but I am thinking of planting some myself. There are two main kinds. one is native & the other comes from across the pond.

We planted the native variety. They've grown well so far - just haven't produced yet. But I'm thinking this is the year, if the deer didn't damage them too much.

@Weedygarden, when we plant cucumbers around our corn, we haven't had a problem with critters getting to them. We do it because raccoons are supposed to hate the vines, but now that I think of it, we don't have squirrel problems in the corn either, and we have plenty of squirrels - so maybe that's a good way to keep them out, too? I can honestly say that the first year here the raccoons got our corn, the second year (when we tried the cucumber circumference) we had no problems, and the third year (when we didn't do cucumbers) we had critters in the corn again. That sealed it for us - cucumbers it is. Last year we lost a lot of corn to cutworm, but we don't have furry critter issues.
Yep, works with squash too...anything with a prickly vine, they hate to step on them. For woodchucks, pour used kitty litter down the hole and they vamoose.

More on the subject of nuts, yes, hazelnuts are good, I like because you can keep them trimmed down to bushes making harvest easy. Yes you need a male as well as females, and yes, it takes quite a few years to get any nuts. That is why I insist at our new place that M can't cut down the nut trees here - we have what looks like hickory and pecan nut trees, already bearing judging from the nuts on the ground, but I have to wait for spring to know for sure - identification of trees by bark is hard for me. She can take down the gum trees though, have not yet found any use for them. Anybody know of a use for gum trees outside of firewood?

Yep, works with squash too...anything with a prickly vine, they hate to step on them. For woodchucks, pour used kitty litter down the hole and they vamoose.

More on the subject of nuts, yes, hazelnuts are good, I like because you can keep them trimmed down to bushes making harvest easy. Yes you need a male as well as females, and yes, it takes quite a few years to get any nuts. That is why I insist at our new place that M can't cut down the nut trees here - we have what looks like hickory and pecan nut trees, already bearing judging from the nuts on the ground, but I have to wait for spring to know for sure - identification of trees by bark is hard for me. She can take down the gum trees though, have not yet found any use for them. Anybody know of a use for gum trees outside of firewood?
No use for gum trees. I have a bunch I just bought a machine that goes on my tractor to get rid of all mine. I will plant some trees that at least look good. Hopefully I'll find some that are useful as well.

The sap of the gum can be used in lotions for dermatitis and the wood is fine grained and excellent for fine furniture. The sap can be dried and mixed with alcohol for use as a wood finish much like shellac.

Interesting to know Sheepdog....I've never had a use for them and the ones here are actually quite ugly but can grow very big. I use them to burn when I need a fire after drying for awhile. That's been it for me....

quarter saw those big trunks and dry it straight and you have some mighty fine wood for tables, desks, chairs and china hutches. Nice straight grain that is compact makes for beautiful wood.

I just bought 10 hazelnut trees, 10 white pine, 10 pecan, and 25 blackberry bushes. These are saplings from the state Conservation nursery. The tree program here is wonderful. I paid a flat fee of $8 for handling and around 50 cents per tree. They are young, but I figure I have the space for them.......unfortunately, I'll probably be picking out a coffin by the time the hazelnuts are coming on. Maybe my kids will enjoy them and remember planting them with me someday.

Latest posts

Back