Anyone Have or Use a Bread Maker?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have a couple bread makers. We used to make bread in the classroom using them. It is so simple that younger children can get it started. Just teach them how to measure the ingredients and provide a recipe card. I have also made bread with children, using a zip top bag, dumping the ingredients in, and having them work the dough inside the bag. Sticky? Yes, but a great process to get those hands and fingers working.

What kind do you have and what are some of your favorite recipes?

I haven't used mine in a few years, but think they are a great preparedness item to have. You can have the bread maker make up your dough, then move it to a bread pan and bake it in your oven. You can also make pizza dough in a bread maker, and then remove it and make your pizzas. Start your dough in the machine and let it do the work for you.

I have seen bread makers at thrift stores and garage sales for little, so they can be had for a low investment. There are many recipes online for using bread makers. They come with a booklet of instructions and recipes when you buy them new.

Last edited:
I have 2 different kind. The one I can't even remember the name because I've packed it away.
I found one that does 2 loaves at a time if they use the same settings. Its an American Harvest.
I paid $10 for it at a yard sale years ago because they apparently made a mess in it and didn't want to clean it.
It works great. I use it mainly for making the dough because we're not crazy about the tall loaves. We like the normal size loaves.

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpgbreadmaker.jpg

I remember when the lockdown started back in april and people freaked out about bread and you couldn't find a bread maker anywhere because people grabbed them when they found them.
Wonder if any are around now? You can find yeast all over at the stores now because the panic is over.

When I use it I like making cheddar bread, rosemary and olive oil, onion bread ( using dried onions) and I made a loaf of olive bread with some italian seasoning added which turned out really good and went great with some spaghetti for supper one time. Haven't really tried any sweet breads. Hubby isn't crazy about them

Last edited:
I have an Oster that can make gluten free bread. I use it once a week to make a honey wheat bread for toast during the weekend. The recipe is from the manual for the machine.

I bought one, geez, it had to be 20 years ago. Used it for a few years, then set it aside. Eventually gave it to my daughter, who used it a little bit. She eventually moved to Hawaii and took nothing with her that didn't fit into her backpack (bought everything she needed once she got there). That breadmaker is sitting in her storage unit now. I should go get it and give it a try again. As I recall, it actually worked fairly well. I remember my favorite being a potato bread. Easy to make using those instant potato mixes you can get in the grocery store. That bread made the absolute best grilled cheese sandwiches. It toasted and browned perfectly!

Had one and gave it away. The person I gave it to never used it.
I like fresh bread way too much to have one around.
That is why I don't make bread. If I made bread, then I'd eat the bread, preferably while it is still warm from the oven.

I was thinking of trying to use the bread machine to make pizza dough. There are several recipes available online.

https://www.momontimeout.com/bread-machine-pizza-dough-recipe/

Ingredients:
2 c flour (I like to use bread flour but all purpose and even a combination of AP and wheat flour works)
1 Tbls butter, softened
1 Tbls sugar
1 tsp yeast
1 tsp salt
1/2 c plus 2 Tbls water (105-110 degrees)

Doubled (for 2 pizzas):
4 c flour
2 Tbls butter, softened
2 Tbls sugar
2 tsp yeast
2 tsp salt
1 1/3 c water (105-110 degrees)

Directions:
Add all ingredients into your bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Make sure that the water is warm enough to proof the yeast (about 105-110 degrees).
Turn your bread machine to the dough setting and let ‘er go! After a couple minutes check on your dough. Make sure that the ingredients are thoroughly combined and that the dough is not too wet or too dry. Depending on where you live and the flour you use there can be some variances in the dough. If it’s too dry, add 1 tsp of water at a time. If the dough is too sticky, add 1 tsp of flour at a time.
After the bread machine is done (mine takes about 90 minutes on the dough cycle) – dump the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and work it until you achieve your desired shape.

• Depending on the size of pizza pan or pizza stone you are using, you may not need all of the dough.
  • I like to lightly grease my pizza pan and dust with cornmeal. Make up your pizza and bake at 400-425 degrees for 18-25 minutes. You are looking for bubbly cheese and lightly browned crust. If you like a crunchier crust, brush some olive oil on the crust before baking.

I have a Zojirushi. I hadn't used it for years because I was mixing my dough in my Kitchenaid mixer. Recently I got my Zo out and started using it again and it is so much easier than mixing and kneading the other way! Less work, less mess and less clean up. I only use it for dough. I have been making my own bread for over 50 years, but now I have arthritis in my wrists and kneading and mixing is difficult so this is really helpful for me. I use Prairie Gold wheat that I grind in my Country Living mill (DH motorized it for me). No special recipe, I just make the dough by feel. I make pizza dough when DH makes pizza and I also make focaccia from the pizza dough.

I have a Zojirushi. I hadn't used it for years because I was mixing my dough in my Kitchenaid mixer. Recently I got my Zo out and started using it again and it is so much easier than mixing and kneading the other way! Less work, less mess and less clean up. I only use it for dough. I have been making my own bread for over 50 years, but now I have arthritis in my wrists and kneading and mixing is difficult so this is really helpful for me. I use Prairie Gold wheat that I grind in my Country Living mill (DH motorized it for me). No special recipe, I just make the dough by feel. I make pizza dough when DH makes pizza and I also make focaccia from the pizza dough.
Welcome, freelove! I see this is your first post here.

https://glutenfreeonashoestring.com/gf-pizza-dough/
Gluten Free Bread Machine Pizza Dough

READY IN: 3hrs 15mins
YIELD: 1-2 pizzas

INGREDIENTS
DIRECTIONS
In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or your food processor fitted with the metal blade, place the flour, xanthan gum, (optional Expandex), yeast, and sugar, and whisk to combine with a separate, handheld whisk. Add the salt, and whisk again to combine well. Add the water and olive oil, and mix on medium speed in your

• stand mixer or pulse in your food processor until the dough begins to come together. Turn the mixer to high speed or your food processor on and process until the dough is no longer a ball but has begun to appear whipped. Transfer the dough to an oiled container with a tight-fitting lid or a greased bowl, spray lightly with cooking oil spray, and cover tightly. Place in a warm, draft-free area to rise until it’s about 150% of its original volume (about an hour), or refrigerate the dough for up to 3 days.
  • When you’re ready to make the pizza, place a pizza stone or overturned rimmed baking sheet in the oven and preheat it to 400°F. If you’ve refrigerated the dough, work with it straight from the refrigerator. If you haven’t, place the tightly sealed dough in the refrigerator to chill for at least 15 minutes before
    • working with it, as it’s easiest to work with when it’s chilled.
    • To make pizza, place the dough on a lightly floured surface and sprinkle the top lightly with a bit more flour. Knead the dough a bit until it’s smoother, then divide it into two equal portions. Cover the unused portion so it doesn’t dry out and roll the other half on the floured surface with a rolling pin, moving the dough frequently to prevent sticking. Sprinkle very lightly with additional flour as necessary. Create a smooth edge around the perimeter of the dough by pressing the edges with one hand toward the palm of your other. Transfer the dough to a large piece of unbleached parchment paper and brush the top of the dough generously with olive oil. Using a pizza peel or other flat surface like a cutting board, transfer the dough to the pizza peel or baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake it plain for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the crust has begun to crisp on the underside.
      • Remove the crust from the oven. At this point, the parbaked crust can be cooled completed, wrapped tightly and frozen for at least one month. Simply defrost at room temperature, and then continue with the recipe as written. To continue preparing the dough, add your favorite toppings to the parbaked crust, and return the pizza to the hot oven until any cheese is melted and the edges have browned and puffed (another 5 to 7 minutes). Allow to set for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.

• SOME PIZZA TOPPING IDEAS.
  • Caramelised onions and roasted garlic.
  • Mozzarella cheese, Camembert, Romano and Feta (for a really, really cheezy pizza!).
  • Equal parts of basil pesto and olive oil

Last edited:
I have one I got a couple decades ago at a church rummage sale - $5. I used it on-and-off for a while, but haven't used it for some time now. Nothing can beat the smell of bread baking, and then enjoying it fresh and warm. One of my goals is to grind my own flour and bake our bread - get away from preservatives - but I haven't established that routine yet.

Last January when we could see the writing on the wall (at least to some degree), I purchased a few boxes of bread mix with prepping in mind. Anyone else use those pre-mixed packages of bread mix? Pretty convenient - everything you need is in the box except water. Most often I'd see boxes for "Country White" bread, but there were other flavors, too. Recently I tried getting some more boxes and couldn't find them anywhere. I suspect they are a casualty of the covid run on groceries. Hopefully they'll come back, as I think it's a good (albeit short-term) prepping item.

@freelove - welcome! :welcome:
Could you tell me where you're getting your Prairie Gold wheat berries these days? That's my preferred brand, too. My usual sources have dried up, and all I can find on Amazon is much more expensive that what I was previously buying. (Which I know is the way of things, but I'd like to have some options.)

I have a basic Breville bread maker and I use it for dough because I'm rubbish at making it by hand.
I don't like the bread setting in it because I don't like the honking great hole the paddle leaves in the bottom of the loaf.
I use the basic recipe and the sweet bun recipe in the instruction book that came with the machine.

I don't mind the hole from the paddle but I don't like the square shape of most bread machine loaves. Why can't they make them rectangular like regular sandwich bread. I normally just use mine to make the dough and use my Pullman pan to bake it.

... I remember my favorite being a potato bread. Easy to make using those instant potato mixes you can get in the grocery store. That bread made the absolute best grilled cheese sandwiches. It toasted and browned perfectly!

Do you by chance still have the recipe somewhere? Bread and potatoes are my very best friends.

@freelove - welcome! :welcome:
Could you tell me where you're getting your Prairie Gold wheat berries these days? That's my preferred brand, too. My usual sources have dried up, and all I can find on Amazon is much more expensive that what I was previously buying. (Which I know is the way of things, but I'd like to have some options.)
Thank you all for the warm welcome.
I order Prairie Gold in 50# bags from a local Amish market. They have organic Prairie Gold now so the newest bag I ordered is organic. It is much more expensive than when I first ordered it probably 15 years ago. I think it was under $20 then for 50#. Now it is about $70 for organic which is of course always more expensive, but I think the regular is over $50 now.

I don't mind the hole from the paddle but I don't like the square shape of most bread machine loaves. Why can't they make them rectangular like regular sandwich bread. I normally just use mine to make the dough and use my Pullman pan to bake it.
I agree about the shape of loaf. I like that the bread maker does all the mixing and kneading. Standing and doing that is not easy with my back issues. So letting the bread maker do all of that and then turning it into loaf pans and putting it into the oven works well for me.

I agree about the shape of loaf. I like that the bread maker does all the mixing and kneading. Standing and doing that is not easy with my back issues. So letting the bread maker do all of that and then turning it into loaf pans and putting it into the oven works well for me.
My husband used the bread machine more than I did and he also preferred removing the dough after all the kneading and risings, he would shape it in to an "artisan" loaf (lol), so DARN TASTY. I didn't like a weird square loaf, and it seemed heavier leaving it to "bake" in the machine.
Have been thinking about making bread again. My mom used to make yummy rolls. So light and fluffy, and 1/3 wheat flour at my request.
I think my mess ups are in the yeast and water temp when trying without the machine.

My husband used the bread machine more than I did and he also preferred removing the dough after all the kneading and risings, he would shape it in to an "artisan" loaf (lol), so DARN TASTY. I didn't like a weird square loaf, and it seemed heavier leaving it to "bake" in the machine.
Have been thinking about making bread again. My mom used to make yummy rolls. So light and fluffy, and 1/3 wheat flour at my request.
I think my mess ups are in the yeast and water temp when trying without the machine.
I think that it is like many things, it gets better with practice.

When I was teaching, children took turns bringing snack to school. Snack was set up so children could have it in small groups, usually 2 to 4 at a time. (Montessori style) Good manners were taught and expected from them. One mother made homemade bread, in an artisan style and it was delicious! She also sent in butter and jam or jelly to eat with the bread. We would cut the loaf up, and each child would have a turn with some group of children or another. When we had this bread, there were always a few pieces leftover. The children would fight to get leftovers! But they also fought to wash the dishes (small glass plates and glasses). Their parents would have been amazed to see it.

I have had many bread machines over the years. Love the convenience of them. Last one died so replaced it with an expensive Quisinart that lasted less than a month and then the panic buying started. Haven’t been able to replace it since. Looking to get another one ASAP but until then have been making sourdough when we can in Dutch ovens.

Latest posts

Back