Anyone Have or Use a Bread Maker?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a question ro help The Princess out.

She has been making bread using her bread machine. The bread has been good until this weekend. The bread did not rise. She repeated and again it didn't rise.

Same bucket of flour.
Same yeast oil sugar.

Best we can guess is maybe the flour at the botton of the 5-gal bucket may be older being at the bottom.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Ben

I've bought yeast in the large packages at Sam's and Costco for years, and they used to keep for years. When the pandemic hit and neighbors were looking for yeast, I had some, but it was a few years old. It had always worked in the past, but don't you know it was dead then. I was able to find a new package at a local store. Somewhere I read that the yeast out now doesn't live as long. I have no idea if that is true or why. BTW, I always keep my yeast in the freezer.

I've bought yeast in the large packages at Sam's and Costco for years, and they used to keep for years. When the pandemic hit and neighbors were looking for yeast, I had some, but it was a few years old. It had always worked in the past, but don't you know it was dead then. I was able to find a new package at a local store. Somewhere I read that the yeast out now doesn't live as long. I have no idea if that is true or why. BTW, I always keep my yeast in the freezer.
I forced her to look at yeast testing sites.

We will see.

Ben

in a cup of water. half fill with warm, not hot, water
add 2 tablespoons sugar
toss in a packet of yeast
the yeast should float on top and if active you should see activity they will start eating and farting doubling in size
pour this into your flour or use a spoon to skim the yeasties off the top and add to flour
in the distilling world it is called pitching your yeast

store your yeast in the fridge it will keep longer, the yeasties will go dormant instead of dying

Last edited:
in a cup of water. half fill with warm, not hot, water
add 2 tablespoons sugar
toss in a packet of yeast
the yeast should float on top and if active you should see activity they will start eating and farting doubling in size
pour this into your flour or use a spoon to skim the yeasties off the top and add to flour
in the distilling world it is called pitching your yeast

store your yeast in the fridge it will keep longer, the yeasties will go dormant instead of dying
The Princess followed up.

Yeast seems to have been the issue. The package she was using was from 2012 and not stored in freezer. She tossed everything prior to 2019 and moved the yeast to a freezer. A test loaf using the 2019 yeast looks ok.

Ben

Latest posts

Back