Anyone running Linux?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAC

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I have to say that after buying a new computer that utilizes Win10 I hate it and am considering using Linux to get away from the Win systems completely. Frankly I'm sick and tired of Microsoft politics and their need to spy on us all and decide what we should and shouldn't do. Is anyone here running Linux? I have some questions that maybe someone more familiar with Linux could advise me on.

I've never ran Linux. But my laptop died last week, I just got a new one Monday. I went with a Chromebook. Suppose to be imune from virus and such. We shall see. I don't use this one for much other than reading and internet.

I've been running Linux Mint for several months. So glad to get away from all the Windows 10 invasiveness. The GUI is an easy switch from windows, at least in the "Cinnamon" version.

Reactions: JAC
I have a BS and MS in computer engineering, use Linux extensively at work and for my doctoral research, and used to teach a college course "Intro to Linux and Windows" back when I had time to be an adjunct. I suspect I can field about any question you have, so ask away!

I'm a bit concerned about software compatibility and my printers, scanners etc. I also use photoshop quite a bit. From what I am reading the freeware that runs as a photoshop replacement is not up to par with photoshop. If I make this transition then there will be other computers in my household that also will need to make the transition that are used for gaming, animation creation etc. Will games that have been purchased and many other software that is being used by family members be usable in Linux?

Ubuntu is very easy to use, I myself I use Fedora linux. When I'm on the road I exclusively use my android phone. When I'm home I usually use my phone lol, but sometimes I use my wife's computer running windows 7. Yes I know in less then a year in updates.

If you use photoshop the free version is called Gimp. As for the equivalent of Microsoft software just type in your search engine for example " linux equivalent of photoshop" and you will get a list.

I’ve had little problem with any of the Linux “flavors” and about the only thing I have some difficulty ever is a few games that prefer windows. Still can make them work with a bit of effort.

I have been running Linux, Ubuntu, for about ten years. I have used other flavors but Ubuntu has the smallest learning curve. I don't use any Windows compatible software so I don't have any compatibility problems. There are several Linux add-ons that allow you to run Microsoft games and software. Gimp is a good substitute for Photoshop but it is not the same software. There will be a learning curve. I use Libre Office for my office software and Libre Cad for my computer aided drawing. I have designed 4 buildings and a number of projects with it and and built all but two of them using the drawings as blueprints. Even the county accepted the prints for the two buildings with no problems. I have written software for my own personal use when I can't find something to do it, and Linux comes with the C compiler already loaded. The software is extremely resistant to virus attack and comes with multiple levels of protection that you just have to turn on. The old adage that Linux is for software geeks and programmers has begun to fade but there is still the terminal which is often used by those who want to get under the skin to add or change the settings to more personalize the software.
It is a great platform for all my uses and I recommend it to anyone who wants stability and security. My son has finally added it to his computer to replace Windows too.

I'm a bit concerned about software compatibility and my printers, scanners etc

There are compatibility issues with peripheral hardware, if it isn't 'in common use'. Someone has to have made a driver for it. For instance, my Canon IP4920 inkjet printer works fine, but my Canon LBP6230dw laser printer does not function with any Linux driver I have been able to find (which is annoying, because it is a very useful machine).

Another someone may have compiled a list of hardware Linux drivers, but I haven't found that either.

There are compatibility issues with peripheral hardware, if it isn't 'in common use'. Someone has to have made a driver for it. For instance, my Canon IP4920 inkjet printer works fine, but my Canon LBP6230dw laser printer does not function with any Linux driver I have been able to find (which is annoying, because it is a very useful machine).

Another someone may have compiled a list of hardware Linux drivers, but I haven't found that either.

https://www.canondriversoftware.net/canon-lbp6230dw-software/

Don’t have that printer but appears there are valid options.

I'm a bit concerned about software compatibility and my printers, scanners etc.

In general, printers/scanners are supported much better from a Linux standpoint than they were a decade ago. However, as you've seen with other replies, it can still be a bit of hit-or-miss as to whether a particular peripheral (such as a printer) will work, and it's for the same basic reason as software might not work. Let's take a second to examine why this is. The typical analogy that I use is that Windows is an operating system that natively speaks English, and that's really the only language it understands. Linux, alternatively, speaks/reads only Spanish (and Mac OS doesn't speak, but it does eat crayons and sniffs glue). Anyway, the programs that you run on Windows are in English, and so Windows can read them. However, Linux doesn't know English, and so it doesn't know how to run them. On the other side, your Linux programs are in Spanish, and so Linux can read/run them all....but Windows doesn't understand them at all. What we have, analogy-wise, is a language barrier.

So, how do we fix this? The easiest fix is to to translate between the two operating systems. We can do this one of two ways. The first is for us to take our English-based program and re-write it in Spanish. Then, we never need read the Windows program in Linux...we read our own Spanish copy. Anyone here read the bible in Latin? No? You have your own copy in English. Same idea...just with software. The problem is that it takes time for someone to make this translation, and who's going to spend a lot of time to make something that only a handful of people will use?

This, then, is the problem we find ourselves in. Many software companies (and hardware companies who must write drivers (i.e., software)) aren't willing to expend significantly more resources to support what might only be 5% of their customer base. Now, most versions of Linux are free and open-source, and many pieces of software (including drivers) are done for free in someone's spare time, so we're really at the mercy of what they want to do. This is absolutely a case of "you get what you pay for."

Now, another way to get Linux to understand windows programs is with a real-time translator. The most well-known is a program called Wine....and it speaks both English and Spanish. So, Linux tells Wine to run an English program, and it communicates from English to Spanish. Good news is that the translation works pretty well...bad news is that it's not always perfect (in the computer world, this causes programs to crash) and your program runs slower because everything has to be translated as you go.

So, with that explanation of why your software may have compatibility issues, let's continue on with your questions and see if I can provide some useful (or at least shorter) answers!

I also use photoshop quite a bit. From what I am reading the freeware that runs as a photoshop replacement is not up to par with photoshop.

Well, yes and no. Gimp is a similar product, but many would agree that it lacks many of the features of Adobe Photoshop. This is certainly a case of getting what you pay for. However, it appears the Linux user community have had good results using it via Wine, so that may be an approach you could take.

If I make this transition then there will be other computers in my household that also will need to make the transition that are used for gaming, animation creation etc. Will games that have been purchased and many other software that is being used by family members be usable in Linux?

We'd have to examine this on a case-by-case basis. Can you share what specific software you're concerned about?

Something else that may be of interest to you is that you can try Linux without losing Windows. There are 2 approaches you can take. The first is to create a "Live Boot" CD/DVD. You create the CD/DVD, put it in your computer, reboot your computer, and make sure your BIOS boots from your CD/DVD drive. You will get your Linux environment...without touching your Windows installation at all. When you're done, reboot, remove the CD/DVD, and you're back to Windows. The only downside is that every time you boot into Linux using this method, nothing from the previous Linux boot is saved...you get the same, pristine environment that you saw on the first boot. The other approach fixes this. You actually install Linux, but when you chose the destination drive to install it on, you choose a USB stick (or external hard drive). Then, you boot from that whenever you want to play in Linux. I can help you through the process if you'd like.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

@AdmiralD7S , not sure Wine is all that good of an option in many cases these days. Other methods in my mind work far better. Wine has its place for sure and I still run a dual - boot setup for those few things I need Windows for. The list is very small and getting smaller by the day. I suppose it depends on the users abilities and desires for sure though.

Odd. Anyway, Canon has a driver for both 32 and 64 bit Linux installations. Have you tried that VT?

Found the thing and downloaded it. Read the installation instructions at the Canon site. Can't get my 81 y.o. mind wrapped around them. Oh well, such is life, eh?

Last edited:
Check out the Linux foundation's OpenPrinting project found here. You may find the printer driver you need.

Nope. My printer (Canon ImageClass LBP6230dw) is not listed. The Canon site lists the printer as still available for purchase from its site, so it ain't obsolete..

I found a Linux driver for the printer in a link at the site, and downloaded it. It's in the form af an executable file. I have been unable to get my system to run it though. Closest I got, apt said it is not a debian package.

Latest posts

Back